Author Topic: Smelly Ear?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Smelly Ear?
« on: December 30, 2005, 12:16:29 pm »
Daisy's ear is smelly.  Not the normal dog smell but stinky, blucky, don't want to stick your nose close to that side of her head smelly.    Her other ear looks great. 
She's not itching it and she lets me clean it.   I get a ton of wax out each time I clean it.
It's a bit pinker than her other ear. 
Vet said that if nothing changes then to keep wiping out the wax and they will check it at Daisy's checkup on Friday. (SHE WILL BE ONE!!!)

Whenever Jack (our hound mix) has had an ear problem (usually yeast) he would dig it like crazy and he'd moan if I rubbed his ear to relieve the itchyness.   We ended up having the vet flush it really well and I'd follow up with a steroid spray, some benadryl, and an antifungal.   

This seems different.
Thoughts on what this could be?

-Wendy

This is different.   
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Smelly Ear?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 12:27:48 pm »
Spotakiss ' ear is the same way,only one ear.I keep wiping it out.Is it just dirty ears?

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:28:32 pm »
Hi -- I'm Sarah and my newly adopted Gentle Giant is Einstein.  Einstein ahd his first visit to our vet yesterday -- he has a yeast & bacterial infection in both ears (one worse than the other).  He's a big guy and he's not happy at all about the ointment I have to put in his ear -- my daughter's boyfriend succeeded in getting the ointment in last night (he followed Einstein around the house until Einstein gave up).  I didn't have as much luck this morning.  Does anyone have any advice on doing this?  His ears are so irritated he can't stand for me to lift them -- should I just hold him down anyway?  Maybe I need a second person?  Or maybe I should bribe my daughter's boyfriend to come over twice a day and apply for me?  Jeez, I'm such a wuss about this.
Sarah

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:30:33 pm »
I forgot to mention, the vet put him on anti-biotics, too.  We don't have any trouble with capsules -- wrapped in a piece of bread and they're gone in a second.
Sarah

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 02:11:15 pm »
Wendy- When Harley had her ear infection it was only on one side and it was a little pink and swollen, and very smelly with lots of wax. I can't remember if it was yeast or bacterial but we had drops to put in her ear.

smsmith-With Harley's ear infection we had drops that had to be put in and it took 2 of us to do it. I would pet her and talk to her and Tim put the drops in. Also maybe distract him with a treat and then put the ointment in.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 04:35:29 pm »
Thanks Nina -- I feel better knowing it's not so easy.  I'd love to get his ears all pretty and clean -- and not so stinky -- so I'm determined we're getting this stuff down those ear canals!

By the way, you can call me Sarah.

Sarah

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:18:31 pm »
Thanks Nina -- I feel better knowing it's not so easy.  I'd love to get his ears all pretty and clean -- and not so stinky -- so I'm determined we're getting this stuff down those ear canals!

By the way, you can call me Sarah.

LOL Thanks Sarah
A good trick that we used with Harley to get the ointment way down in the ear canal (I'm not sure if your vet told you this) but once you get the drops in there if you massage the ear like your scratching behind the ear (not sure if the makes sense) you'll hear a squishing noise then you know it's down in there. Also we put like 3 to4 drops on her ear flaps and massaged it in, it really helped get rid of the swelling and irritation they looked so much better in just 2 days. And it made it easier to put the drops in. After a few days she even let me put the drops in and I didn't need any help. I would really suggest to but a few drops on his ear flaps it will make him fell better and make it easier on you too :).
I'm sure that Einstein will be feeling much better in a few days ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 06:59:57 pm »
Yeah -- the vet did tell me to massage it in.

Sarah

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 07:01:45 pm »
My bathroom isn't that small, but I when I was following him around the house this morning he cornered himself by the bed & the wall -- I could almost hear him saying "oh sh**, I'm stuck now"  :)

I'll give it a try again and let ya'll know.  Like I said, I don't feel like such an idiot knowing it ain't easy to do this.

Ya'll are great!
Sarah

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 08:30:46 pm »
Hi Sarah!  Einstein is so cute! Poor pupper with ear trouble!

Daisy's ear is finally better.  She was allergic to the first ointment.  That usually doesn't happen.   But if his ear isn't getting better after 3 days....call the vet.   It really should start looking better or at the very least not looking worse. 

My plan of attack was..........a w heck....I was a big soft hearted chicken when she was hurting.   I waited until she was asleep.      While we were watching TV she would drift off...I would flip open that huge smelly ear and rub the side of it.   She was so relaxed.
Then I'd drop the evil ointment into the raging red smelly canyon of her ear.  She squirmed a bit.  Once the meds started working it got easier. 

I still wasn't able to let see the tube of ointment for the morning treatment.  I had to have someone else's help for that and I'd back her bottom into a corner....lite rally.

good luck.   

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 12:33:58 am »
If her ear has a horrible smell and a brownish waxy discharge maybe it's ear mites, thats the quickest way to tell if it's mites according to our vet is to smell it,.. it stinks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 12:47:46 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 01:38:53 pm »
I'm happy to report that last night I succeeded in putting the ointment in Einstein's right ear!  That's the one that was the nastiest!  After 24 hours on antibiotics and only one treatment of ointment, his ear looked a million times better already (could be partly due to the fact the vet cleaned them for me).  I bribed him with balled-up bread (his favorite treat).  EVen though he tried to get away, I held onto him and finally was able to keep his head still long enough to find his ear canal. 

Thank you to everyone for the tips and encouragement!
Sarah