Author Topic: Hello New here  (Read 6750 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Hello New here
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 04:52:03 pm »
I'd try to meet each type of dog and get an idea of what the involve.  Start making a list of the pros and cons of each in your list.  I actually think a Pyr would be good for you as well or a newf( I love Kali soo much).  Also look into breeders in your area...I'm sure a good breeder would willing to let you come visit and look at the adults they have.  And that'll give you an idea of the dogs available in your area.  Good luck with your search.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Hello New here
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 10:53:51 pm »
I found, with my limited experience with Newfies (and everybody, please chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong !!!  ;D) that the females are more protective than the males.  (At least our girl was!)  The males are more relaxed...and on another thread, we were discussing the energy level based on color. Our male Landseer is pretty worthless as a guard dog (but a wonderful lover  ;D ;D) but our brown boy is always guarding and will bark if someone he doesn't know comes to the door.  If you wanted a protective dog who was more active, you could try a female Landseer or brown. We have three cats and loads of wild life, and the Newfs never bother any of them, so I would think you wouldn't have to worry about your pets.  Their size is a pretty good deterent to anybody who had evil ideas.....