Author Topic: Question for Pyr people  (Read 4399 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Question for Pyr people
« on: January 28, 2006, 12:54:11 am »
I'm curious if pyrs can have tails that curl over their backs like a spitz.  At the dog park today, someone came in with what I thought was a pyr mix.  I asked if it was a pyr mix, and she said it was a purebred. 

I'm no expert on pyrs as I have seen so few of them.  But I've never seen or heard of one with a curly tail.  This particular dog was also more fluffy looking than shaggy looking.  Looked more like a samoyed/pyr mix (also on the small side, most likely less than 100 lbs).  Head was very pyr looking, but the body didn't look quite right.  Wish I had thought to take a picture, I had my camera but didn't think of it.

Soooo......... ....just wondering if there are different body types of pyrs or if they all look similar.  The ones I've seen, both in person and in pics look pretty much alike, but was wondering if there is a body type out there I've not heard of before.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Question for Pyr people
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 02:13:09 am »
Do you mean the whole tail was curled?...That is called a "wheel" & it is all Pyr...The differences in full blooded Pyrs is vast...It can depend on what the breeder prefers for looks & if the dog is properly bred or poorly bred...Check out the differences in my boys.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 02:52:35 am »
Yes, the whole tail was curled, more than one rotation, and sat on the back, like a spitz tail would.  The tail also was not nice and bushy like most you see, but rather ratty looking (not looking like a rat, b/c it had hair, just not as much)

Actually, your two look similar to me, so unfortunately, that does not help me much.......... .lol.   I knew their tails are curved, but I did not realize pyrs could come with curly tails.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 10:11:22 am »
This is Dixie with her tail up.  Maybe the dog was still in part of her puppy coat.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:14:43 am »
Busa's tail is usually always up just like in the pics of Dixie.  I went to a picnic with about 40 pyrs all together. There were so many different looks and so many different hair types.  It was amazing to me.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 12:25:49 pm »
Oh, we need photos and details of that picnic.  That would be so much fun.

Lisa
Busa's tail is usually always up just like in the pics of Dixie.  I went to a picnic with about 40 pyrs all together. There were so many different looks and so many different hair types.  It was amazing to me.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

mjjensen

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 12:45:56 pm »
My friends' pyr Otto's tail hangs down when he's just standing around but when he gets excited or is running around it curls up over his back like Max's is in the picture.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 01:08:09 pm »
One thing I can throw in is about coats- with any dog breed the coat can vary a LOT just by what food the dog is eating. Way back in the day I adopted two Siberian Huskies. They were very ratty looking dogs, with thin coats- not at all how you think of a husky. About 3 months later after switching them from Pedigree to Nutro, their coats filled out and became huge and fluffy and thick like what you would expect to see on a husky! Looking at the before and after pictures of them was quite shocking!

I have seen Pyrs that looked HUGE because of their amazing fluffy coats, and others who looked smaller but might not have been, just because their hair was a bit thinner and less healthy in general. Ya know?
 :)

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 01:10:05 pm »

I am going to try to post the web address where there are pics. It is a lot fun. All the dogs are together and usually off lead and get along fine. Well somethimes there may be a little trouble but that is to be expected in such a large group.
http://www.nfgpc.org/Picnic.htm

Quote from: DixieSugarBear link=topic=7342.msg93806#msg93806

date=1138472749
Oh, we need photos and details of that picnic.  That would be so much fun.

Lisa

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 04:50:30 pm »
I love that picture of Dixie, she is so pretty.

This dogs tail was a very tight curl that curled around more than once and sat actually on the back.  I don't think its tail could uncurl.  And I agree that coat types come in all kinds for longer haired breeds, but something didn't look right about this dog, besides the tail.

Maybe if I see it again, I will remember to get a pic.  Loved seeing all your pics at the picnic bigdogz.  There were some gorgeous dogs there.  I love pyrs with some color on them, and there were a few in the group.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 10:09:47 pm »
A Pyrs tail is addressed in the standard for the Pyr.  This is what the standard says....

Tail - The tailbones are of sufficient length to reach the hock. The tail is well plumed, carried low in repose and may be carried over the back, "making the wheel," when aroused. When present a "shepherd's crook" at the end of the tail accentuates the plume. When gaiting, the tail may be carried either over the back or low. Both carriages are equally correct.

If the tail was curled more than once then it was not a pure bred Pyr. 

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux