Author Topic: Hi  (Read 9137 times)

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: May 19, 2005, 10:17:53 am »
I just joined the board and I am already addicted to reading all of the posts (instead of doing my work!)  ;D. What great people here!! Much love all around for all of our critters!
My dogs are not so much big as they are tall - except our "short" boy - the beagle - I had to give him his own paw print though - his feelings were a little hurt that just brother and sister had one.  ;) I never had dogs until I got my Bogart and now I will never be without one!
I am looking forward to reading up on all of the interesting, funny and informative posts on the board. Hopefully my boss won't realize that I am not getting any work done throughout the day!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:33:35 am »
Welcome, your guys are adorable with the big pink "ties"  ;D Nice dressed too lol..... You have come to the right forum, this is such a nice place with a relaxed and friendly tone, both funny and informative. What breed are your babies??? and how old are they??? Let's see some more pics of them. Good Luck with the boss  ;)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 01:44:13 pm »
Why thank you!!! They are Greyhounds. Race flunkies to be precise. Bacall (my female) went to race school but didn't cut it on the track - I am not sure if she actually ran in any races or not. Bogart (the male) lost his mother when she was whelping - so he was hand raised and not fit for racing - he was too much about his people! He is quite the sensitive chap so I don't think he would have done very well during training anyway. They are just the most wonderful companions - completely devoted. I would highly recommend them as pets - they are super easy to keep - and known to multiply once you have taken one in - one just never seems to be enough! I would fill the house up if my husband would let me. We have fostered several for placement and it is always hard to let them go! I have put some more pictures on their "paw prints" but let me see if I can scrounge up a few more cute ones! Thanks for the welcome note - I can already tell this is going to be a fun group!
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 01:46:33 pm »
here are a few more - can't resist!!
this one is the whole darn family - except the fish and turtles!!!
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 01:48:16 pm »
and one more of my "kids" - Bacall doing the classic s-t-r-e-t-c-h
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 02:19:12 pm »
your 4legged kiddos are BEAUTIFUL!

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 02:33:39 pm »
Thank you!!! And your "little for now" guy is so adorable!!! I started out on this forum reading your story about the b*tch that you got your special guy from - talk about getting wrapped up in a story!!!! I am so sorry to hear about your struggles!!! I understand though - when you are in love there is nothing you will not do! We have a cat on dialysis and another that has to have insulin shots twice a day - there is nothing I wouldn't do for my four leggers - the love and devotion that they give is unmatched! I am a funeral director and I used to work part time at a 24 hour veterinary hospital - I swear to you that sometimes the pet owners that had lost their "babies" were harder to console than the families I dealt with that had lost their humans.  :'(  I think that the bond that we have with our pets just can't be dupicated in our people - the animals are just dependant on us in so many ways - and the unconditional love that they have for us - it doesn't matter if the house is a mess (like laundry on the floor - ha ha ha :D) or if we are in a bad mood - they just love us - no matter what!!!! Couldn't do the things I have to do everyday with out my family - all of them - especially the furry ones!!!
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

nickerbokker

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 02:43:33 pm »
its a shame that that is how you started on this board because there are SOOOO many great/funny posts on here to laugh at and enjoy.  one of my favorites is the ZZzzZZzz post (actually i started it) because the picture of my dog CRACKS me up every time i see it....but there is a pic of galahad that almost, and im not kidding, made me pee in my pants.  every time i see that pic i laugh outloud.  there are a TON of informative posts on here, a TON of support on here from a TON of AMAZING people, and just a ton of stories that will make you giggle randomly throughout the day when you think of them.  i was at work the other day, and thought about this one post about mr finn who jumped into a river and mom about croaked, and i started laughing out loud and everyone thought i was absolutely CRAZY.  this site will bring you joy at all times of the day, and offer amazing comfort when you need it as well. 

i have always wanted to be a vet, always, or volunteer there or something...bu t i could never deal with all of the sick babies.  when i lost my dog tyler at 3yrs old after a 3 week battle with cancer (we found it super late), they literally had to pick me up off the floor and support/carry me to the car after 3 hours of screaming.  i could not move i was so torn up.....so not only could i not deal with the animals, but i could not deal with the heartbroken people.   you must be super strong!

bless your heart for loving your cats so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!  but really, there IS no choice!

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 02:56:25 pm »
had to go look up the zzzzZZZZzzzzz post - pictures are TOO CUTE - i have to include a picture of my favorite foster dog Tula - she was so much fun! Tula was adopted out to a family in Canada - much too far away from her foster mom  :-[   this pic is of Tula roaching in her bedroom - this is a favorite postion for greyhounds - really funny to see in person with all of those long 'ole legs sticking straight up in the air!!!
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 02:59:24 pm »
LOL...she looks like a kangaroo!  I LOVE THESE KINDA PIX LOL

Offline Greytmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 04:04:17 pm »
Hi welcome to the group. Man do I know that classic pose. Your two sound alot like mine two. Jessica who is 3 now is an ex racer. She had 6 races but did not have that drive to win, she had the drive to run and be with the other dogs but to have fun not race. We got Jessica as a foster dog (our first) in mid December 2004 and adopted her in early Jan. 2005. Oz our second greyt we got for a group on yahoo about a greyhound puppy that was blind in one eye. We have had him since he was around 11 weeks old. He turned  months old on the 23rd of May. He I think would have made a good racer dog but I am not into racing, but everyone who sees him tells us to race him. He is a pretty big dog already. He has not filled out yet but weights in at nearly 50 lbs already. Here is a picture taken on the 14th as you can see my 6 month old is nearly the same height as my 3 year old.

I really like the names of your greyts. Mine just have average names Jessica taken from her kennel name Jess (race name Dee Cee Demon) and Oz because everyone said he looked like a tiger. I called him Oz because of the tiger in the Wizard of Oz. Its good to have more of us greyhound people on the site. I think the make greyt pets.

Toni, mom of Jessica and Oz in Ballarat Australia
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:09:47 pm by Greytmom »
Toni

Greyhounds are great

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 04:25:35 pm »
Bacall and Bogart are beautiful and they look so happy.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 05:08:02 pm »
Was there a tiger in Wizard of Oz?  I thought it was a lion?  Maybe I missed a part?  h*ll, now I have to go watch it....

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 08:32:01 am »
Thank all of you for noticing my "babies" I am a proud momma!!! I have so enjoyed seeing everyones kids on this site!

OOOHHHHH - Jessica and Oz are beautiful!!!!! I have always wanted a brindle colored like Oz! I got Bogart first and then knew eventually I would have a Bacall! They are such a joy in my life - love 'em to pieces.

I took in a foster last night - she is a black greyhound with white toes and a white stripe on her throat - I'll have to take some pictures of her to post. She and her greyhound buddies were taken by animal welfare from a man  here in Oklahoma that had her and 13 others (13 still living) tethered outside without adequate shleter, water or food. There were also some dead ones still tethered up with the others. He was breeding them to sell to coyote hunters (yuck).  >:(  There was one pregnant momma about to bust with puppies that was very edematous and also positive for heartworms. The vet was able to do a ceserean and all of the puppies lived - a group in Albequerque, New Mexico took her and her pups to raise and place - however I just found out yesterday that she died after starting her heartworm treatment.  :'(  The others were placed with various greyhound adoption groups in the central united states and our group was able to keep two for placement....o f course this happened at a time when we were overflowing with foster dogs!  :(
I hope that the others stories will turn out better than the momma dog and I will do my best to help Sable realize that life in the house is so much better than the life that her former owner gave her. She is a sweet girl - a bit reserved - but not shy. Sable will make a great addition to someones home as soon as she learns the ropes of being a pet!!

Hope everyone is doing well - and much love to all of the furry babies out there!!!
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

dohertyswissy

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 09:04:56 am »
What sweet, sweet, beautiful dogs!  I live in NC and we had a festival here not to long ago.  Our local Greyhound Rescue group was there raising money and awareness about Greyhounds.  They had 5 Greyhounds out there and I made friends with a very beautiful girl named Angel.  She was so sweet.  Came right up to me and I just pet her as long as I could.  It was funny because when I went to leave, she tried to follow me.  The gentleman who was handling her said I'd found a friend.  If we hadn't just gotten Ranger, I would've had to take her home.  Amazing how you can bond with an animal so quickly in a 30 min. sitting.  My brother-in-law had a whippet who is no longer with him and is now considering getting another dog.  He is between getting another whippet or adpoting a greyhound.  I've been pushing for the greyhound and everytime I hear a story like the one below or see the gorgeous greyhounds like Bogart, Bacal, Jessica, and Oz it inspires me to keep at him to adopt a greyhound!  Thank you so much for sharing and keep your fingers crossed that he adopts a greyhound!

Heather