Author Topic: Need help with Satin Balls!  (Read 9753 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Need help with Satin Balls!
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:34:12 pm »
Hey lovely people, a few weeks ago when the stork brought us a skinny Great Dane, someone recommended Satin Balls to help her gain weight. Then someone else said don't try to fatten her up too fast, so I didn't do the Satin Balls. Well, now after two weeks of heartily eating great quality kibble, she has hardly gained a pound. So I am ready to try Satin Balls. I have the recipe, but it doesn't really give "feeding instructions".
Has anyone made these before and given them to their dog? How big do you make the meatballs? How many do you give a day? Do I give her the usual kibble and then add in some extra Satin Balls as a supplement??
Any help here would be totally awesome, and Leeloo would appreciate it!!
Thanks! :D

Offline LaurieW

• Big Paw Certified
  • Bella
    • View Profile
    • Hands of Healing
Re: Need help with Satin Balls!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:45:50 pm »
The recipe on our Saving Pyrs In Need site says to divide the satin balls into (10) 1 quart freezer ziplock bags & freeze what you don't need immediately.  Feeding instructions for supplementing with regular kibble were to give 1/4 lb once a day with regular kibble (place it on top, or the dog will spill the kibble out looking for it).  Hope this helps.
-lauriew   :)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:30:15 am »
We added satin balls as a suplemental feeding for Mowglie when he was so skinny.  I made a decent sized batch and vacuum bagged most of them and kept the rest in a freezer bag in the fridge.  He's just a little guy, approx 30'ish pounds, and we were giving him 2 per feeding 2 times a day.  They were the size of italian meat balls (maybe an inch diameter), I just crumbled them up over his food.. Talking about a happy camper! Man those things must be really good!  Never any issues with his poop or anything so we must not have been giving him more than he could handle.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 12:31:49 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 12:53:00 am »
Can you post the recipe for satin balls please.  Our little senior (almost 16yrs. old)  Lhasa Apso sometimes won't eat anything we make for her.  We cook chicken, lamb, turkey, somedays she won't eat.  Maybe this will work.

Please post if you get a chance.

Thank you,
Anita & the Newfs

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 12:59:18 am »
Here's what I found on another thread. Good luck with your Lhasa Apso.

SATIN BALLS
This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly, as some use it for putting a couple extra pounds on a show animal prior to the big day, or an animal that may have been ill and needs a weight gain program.  It has also been reported that this recipe will help with some forms of hair loss, such as when your dog(s) blow their coat, to keep the coat healthy and shiny.  This recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
1 jar wheat germ
1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
10 eggs
10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
A pinch of salt
1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
(You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....pu t into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed.  It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat.  You can use it every day  when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea.  It can be fed alone or with kibble.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »
Thanks for the info everybody. Hopefully soon I will be able to share some "Satin Ball" experiences... hmm that sounds weird!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 01:25:11 pm »
That is the exact same recipe I used.. but cut it in half , didn't want to make 10lbs worth.. ;D
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 08:33:48 pm »
Couple  ??? about the Satin Balls...

1)  Is there a big difference in the nutritional value if you microwave them slightly?  Like med/rare?  Tsu really wouldn't eat them raw.

2) Did everyone elses big paws eat them with gusto or just kinda nibble at them?  I changed Tsu's food to Nutro Natural and she still picks at the kibble so I decided to try these satin balls this weekend and she has eaten...3 more or less tonight (1" balls).   

Any thoughts would be appreciated!  Thanks!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:48:00 pm »
Try mixing them (unthawed) with the kibble and some warm water. There was a simialr recipe on the board somewhere that was almost a meat loaf, and made to be cooked before serving. You may have better luck with that.
Stella

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 10:40:36 am »
I put down three this morning (slightly cooked) and she sniffed them and walked away.  UGH!  As far as the kibble...she only picks at that too.  She is getting INCREDIBLY snoopy in her older age. 
"That's the problem."

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 04:57:35 pm »
I put down three this morning (slightly cooked) and she sniffed them and walked away.  UGH!  As far as the kibble...she only picks at that too.  She is getting INCREDIBLY snoopy in her older age. 

Shazam I got her to eat them! Finally!  We had bacon and I saved the grease, mushed the ball into a burger and fried them.  She ate 3! 
"That's the problem."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 05:32:50 pm »

Shazam I got her to eat them! Finally!  We had bacon and I saved the grease, mushed the ball into a burger and fried them.  She ate 3! 

Woohoo! Awesome! You know I still haven't tried them for Leeloo because I never can seem to remember to buy 10 pounds of ground beef while I am at the grocery store!!! :D

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 09:17:04 pm »

Woohoo! Awesome! You know I still haven't tried them for Leeloo because I never can seem to remember to buy 10 pounds of ground beef while I am at the grocery store!!! :D
I cut it in half..which is good because she IS picky and so far has only gone thru a dozen balls in all of Feb. 
"That's the problem."

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 03:00:56 pm »
I think for something like that, my girls would learn how to open the fridge themselves!   

Weedsport, NY

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 03:28:38 pm »
I think for something like that, my girls would learn how to open the fridge themselves!   

You'd think so huh?  She eats dry food for one meal...ONE...t hen turns her nose up to it.  Nutro, BilJac, Purina Puppy...three bags sitting at home in the pantry. Not to mention canned food, I bought one can of about 5 different kinds and she would pick at them.  She can't get enough of those darn chipped, pressed rawhide chews though. What the...???
"That's the problem."