Author Topic: Juvenile Vaginitis  (Read 2862 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Juvenile Vaginitis
« on: January 29, 2006, 10:27:16 am »
OK all You probably saw the subject and got really scared.   BUt it isnt about me.  I promise.  ;D  OK my wiem is about 5 1/2 months old and she has had a UTI a few times well she is always cleaning herself.  My experience with puppies is that they are always cleaning themselves.  she is also maybe going to come into heat soon. 

Well she was cleaning herself ALOT a couple of days ago and the next day she had TONS of discharge so the next morning i took her to the vet and they told me that they would put her on clavamox.  Well she has been on it for a week now.   Well she has an appt. today to get it checked. 

NOW also i dont go to the same vet for her as i do for the rest of my dogs.  She goes to the same vet she went to when she was born because the woman has three wiems and i figured that if you had one you must know about them.   Well she told me last time that if this clavamox didnt clear it up that she would have juvenile vaginitis and i would have to spay her.   Just like that.  not willng to run tests or anything.  Well the thing is i have no problem spaying her but my fiance on the other hand has been training her the past couple of months to field trails and she cant do them if she is spayed.   

HAs anyone here had a problem iwth juvenile vaginitis and does anyone know how common it is cause this woman is acting like every dog has  it. 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Kiahpyr

Re: Juvenile Vaginitis
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 10:55:20 am »
Kiah had it when she was about the same age. Warning what I am about to tell you is very disgusting. My vet gave me some stuff I actually had to put her you know what. I hated doing it and my hubby had to hold her down. I was so afraid I would hurt her. Then it cleared up for awhile and came back. Then my vet told me to douche her because that changes the cemicals in there. I did and it seemed to work. My vet also said if it's not bothering them or inflamed then most of the time it goes away on it's own. It probably took a good month before it cleared up. He did say that the best way to clear it up for good is to spay her. Good luck!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Juvenile Vaginitis
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:07:17 pm »
Puppy vaginitis goes away on its own - we have never treated it and our vet doesn't treat it either as it is not truly an infection.  And it doesn't affect their breeding capabilities later in life.