Author Topic: Sophie finally let me dremel her toe nails!!!!  (Read 14444 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Sophie finally let me dremel her toe nails!!!!
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:39:05 am »
Sophie will not let me trim her nails with a clipper… I got her from the spca so maybe someone traumatized her with the clippers.  She does let me play with her feet and paws and hold on to them but as soon as I put something in my other hand she pulls away and turns into a giddy nutcase trying to sit in my lap and hide her paws haha.  We even tried to take her to the vet to let them do it... well after snapping at a tech which then muzzled her, she got stressed out and sprayed everywhere...I t was the most embarrassing thing ever...  Everyone looked at me like well duh didn't you know your dog will not let someone clip her nails?  At that point I had only had her for a month so I had no idea that would happen.
   So I figure will start fresh with a tool that she has no bad memories of after weeks and weeks of sniffing the Dremel, lots of treats, turning it on, and eventually lightly touching her toes, she finally let me do them.  We took her on the deck, my husband pet her belly while gently holding her head down, and she finally let me sand them. All of them without any problems!!!  I'm soooo excited.  We were at the point of giving her relaxing pills from the vet so we could do them because they had gotten so long and running on pavement was not helping enough.  I'm so glad we will not have to do that.

Sorry this was a little long winded but I am just so happy!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

nickerbokker

Re: Sophie finally let me dremel her toe nails!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 11:49:11 am »
oh and im happy for you!

angus has NASTY nails that beat the crap out of me...and he is REALLY bad around a clipper also...i just might try your plan!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 11:55:07 am »
Here's a great website that shows you step by step the best way to do them.  It was very helpful.

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html

;D
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 12:16:56 pm »
I LOVE THAT SITE........TH ANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE LINK!

im headin out to the store today!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:12:14 pm »
I tried the guilottine style and the scissor style clippers when Oreo was younger and neither did a very good job. Splintering, bleeding,... and he just hated nail clipping time because of it. I've sworn by my cordless Dremel for the past 5 years. It took some getting use to, but Oreo doesn't mind it nearly as much. I agree with the article. The sanding spindle type attachments are the best for this job.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 01:16:43 am »
I am so glad for you, it really helps when they agree with the nail clipping, when I was working as a groomer, there was not a day without at least one dog who freaked out when it came to doing the nails. I agree with the dremmel, used it a lot, but some dogs came in with nails soooo long it was not even to think about, to work with it, you could clip a hals inch off before you even could get to the sanding part. I prefer the guillotin type clipper, if you get the right size and a "strong" and sharp enough clipper, they work real well and shouldnt splinter the nail, but a lot of them does not work all that well.  :D You go ahead and unpack your dremmel, dont worry too much about overheating, they will probably need quite some time to get used to the idea, so you wont be able to sand away for very long at a time anyway, so you'll get used to it while they do. Good Luck and ouch ouch..... the thought of hair around the sander head hurts just to think about.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 06:17:14 am »
My husband is going to love this idea!  Any excuse to use a power tool!  LOL!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 11:23:25 am »
Good Luck, the sock thing was a great idea thanks. I giggled when I read about your power tools, and that you are the fixer upper. Love to hear it though. My husband does most of the things outside, but when something has to be hung or fixed in here, I usually try to do it, and I am mighty proud of my tool box  :D But the only power tool I have it my screw driver, other than that I am not too comfortable around power tools. But now I know who to ask question to when I next time need some advice  ;)

Let us know how he is doing with the dremmel

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:49:06 pm »
I have never really like clippers myself and started using a dremmel after another breeder showed me how when Beauty was 6 months old.  I have never gone back!  There is something to be said about power tools!  HEHEHE
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson