Author Topic: What is it about putting your shoes on??  (Read 4125 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
What is it about putting your shoes on??
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:16:13 pm »
Cowboy and Chester are usually pretty self-restrained and easy to get along with....until I put my shoes on!   There must be some kind of a secret signal about shoes that makes them want to both climb on top of me, flip my leg up, push me over and generally be two-pain-in-the-rear-end kind of dogs.  I've tried hiding in my closet, going in to the kitchen and no matter what....shoe-time=play time!!! ;D ;D

Does it ever happen to you?

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What is it about putting your shoes on??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 02:20:53 pm »
TOTALLY!  Gwen is good about it, but Ranger is a maniac! 

We have one particular chair in the bedroom that I sit in to put my doggy-shoes on, and the minute my rear end hits that seat, Ranger is in my lap...

He licks my face, climbs in my lap, puts his paws all over me, and flops down on the floor on top of my feet. 

I understand that he is excited about walkies, but I keep telling him that we can't actually GO unless he lets me get the shoes on!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:36:01 pm »
I avoid putting my shoes on in front of the girls at all costs.  They think they're going for a walk if I cover my paws.  They're terrible about tennis shoes...those they know are the serious walking shoes.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 03:18:42 pm »
Forget about shoes, I cant put socks on without a big production, come to think about it I just cant get up & walk without a big "ok where's she going, whats she gonna do now...don't let her out of your site, hurry get behind her, get infront of her .....".
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 03:22:44 pm »
when i put my jacket on memphis crys like alittle boy, and zero jumps around at everything. its almost like saying "walk". its rediculous
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 03:59:33 pm »
For me it's socks. Harley goes nuts when she see me put on socks. She jumps body checks and "talks" up a storms. It's quite funny.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 04:04:31 pm »
Gotta agree about the socks!  I guess just "covering my paws" (hehehe!) sets excitment in motion....even if we're just going to go out and pick up poo!!!  It's almost impossible to handle if I'm not dressed in 'dog clothes'....because they look like dog clothes  no matter what I have on when they are finished with me!!! ;D ;D

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 04:05:35 pm »
With Kali it's car keys, shoes, and jackets.  If we pick up purses we're done for.  With Lacey it's the leashes or any movement toward the door.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 05:16:07 pm »
I think they SMELL the shoe odor wafting out of the shoes when you move them.

Max used to be the absolute WORST about this--he would just work himself into a frenzy of wiggles and snerks and wuffles, pawing at your hands, untying your shoelaces and if you were foolish enough to be sitting on the steps--my parents have a sunken living room--he would even run up your back and jump off your head!  Then Mom had carpal tunnel surgery 3 winters ago. She amused herself while she wasn't allowed to pick things up, (or carry them around or drive anywhere) by teaching Max to Get things--the phone, the remote, her book, a pillow, her glasses (he's very delicate about it!) and, of course, Shoes. 

Teaching Max Get My Shoes has completely changed his whole walk behavior.  He knows all Mom's shoes--and most of Dad's, my brother's, my sister's and my BIL's--and delights in finding them and getting them.  The one thing you have to remember is to take your shoes off in different places--you take one shoe off and put it in the shoe box by the door, but wear the other around and take it off someplace else, out of his sight--in the bathroom, or the computer den or the bedroom.  That way, he will bring the first shoe from the box, and you have time to put it on while he searches for the other one.  Properly done, you're just done with putting on the second shoe when he returns with the leash. 

Of course...the kicker to this is that you almost always have to have Max get your shoes--who can remember where you put the hidden ones?   And of course, having brought you the shoes, you have to take him for a walk--at least to the mail box--before you can go anywhere.  ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 09:13:16 pm »
Zoey gets very excited when I put on my shoes (or coat) to because it means I'm either about to take her out (very exciting for her) or I am going to leave her (which she hates)
RIP former BPO

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 09:56:40 pm »
I don't have to go anywhere near my shoes, the slightest movement and she starts barking like a madwoman. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't driving me a bit crazy, but I'm just trying to ignore it so she doesn't get a reaction out of me when she does it.

My parents dogs know they're going out when my dad puts his baseball hat on. 150 pounds of GSD (he's a mutant, he's not overweight, we can't explain it) and 90 pounds of Golden Retriever falling all over themselves trying to beat the other one out the door.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 01:14:14 am »
I love the morning shoe/sock routine.  My old sheltie used to help me put my socks on every morning, and Bava loves to help me with it in the mornings now.  He's a little too helpful maybe, but he's beginning to understand that I really need to put them on my feet at some point.  I love these everyday routines... he also comes to me every night when it's time to go to sleep to beg for an ice cube or 2 from my water, and then he settles down to sleep. 
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 04:29:01 pm »
Brody has an obsession with socks. I don't think that we own a pair of socks that Brody hasn't gotten to. We call them our Brody socks because she so nicely puts holes in them. She even tries to get them while they are on our feet. I don't have a problem with putting our shoes on, its when one of us says the words "go" or "bye bye" then we have problems. I have a parrot that will tease the dogs by saying in a voice that sounds just like mine "robin brody wanna go bye bye" then laugh when the dogs get all excited. Both dogs will  run from the side door to the front door, they will bring me their leashes and as soon as I convince them they aren't going anywhere, and get them calmed down the bird will do it again. Its pretty funny actually.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 04:41:09 pm »
Brody has an obsession with socks. I don't think that we own a pair of socks that Brody hasn't gotten to. We call them our Brody socks because she so nicely puts holes in them. She even tries to get them while they are on our feet. I don't have a problem with putting our shoes on, its when one of us says the words "go" or "bye bye" then we have problems. I have a parrot that will tease the dogs by saying in a voice that sounds just like mine "robin brody wanna go bye bye" then laugh when the dogs get all excited. Both dogs will  run from the side door to the front door, they will bring me their leashes and as soon as I convince them they aren't going anywhere, and get them calmed down the bird will do it again. Its pretty funny actually.

Your bird is a sadist! It would take an hour for my dogs to calm down, then to start it all over again! Evil little creature!LOL
Stella

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 11:50:27 pm »
Yeah sometimes I really feel like having the bird for dinner. He teases the dogs every chance he gets. He has also learned to mimic the sound of our smoke detector as we recently checked them. When I make his dinner at night, he will sit in his cage and say "hey girls wanna bite" then when the dogs go to his cage he tells them "sit" and gives them a bite. its terrible. He is so smart that it drives me nuts. He mimcs the phone ringing, the baby crying, the dogs barking, the microwave. His big thing lately is he copies conversations my husband and i have. His big thing lately is he says "hey rob" then says "what" then says "will you make a bottle please" and he changes his voice from the sound of my voice to the deeper sound of my husbands. Its crazy. I really can't get over how he teases the dogs though. This morning he was playing fetch with Brody. He takes Brody's little stuffed bear and will throw it and Brody takes it back to him and he throws it again. Its so funny to watch. I need to try and get the video camera out and make a tape of him. I just never really have time. But yes I do agree my bird is evil.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess