Author Topic: Help, help...need some big boy advice  (Read 2899 times)

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Help, help...need some big boy advice
« on: February 02, 2006, 12:35:50 am »
My big boy has just turned into a male......lift ed his leg on the couch!!!  Any tricks to halt this before it gets worse?  We aren't ready for a trip for the snip...we haven't made any decisions on whether to breed or not.  He is such a wonderful boy.  I have never had a male dog before...I haven't even had a BIG dog before...let alone a BIG MALE DOG before.  Any suggestions?

GR8DAME

Re: Help, help...need some big boy advice
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:49:27 am »
That is a toughie. We have always had male dogs-before Raven, and fought this problem as well. The worst was our dobe that was bred. He was terrible about marking in the house. We fought it til the day he died. Merlin, our dane started marking and we did get him nuetered, and it has helped dramatically. The problem is that once they start marking, they continue in the same spot unless you can remove the scent.
We have tried homeopathic-vinegar, baking soda, and some stuff I bought on the internet that was a total waste- and then we tried most of the chemical stuff that was out in the pet stores. The best thing we found was Nature's Miracle. It helped somwhat, but we never found anything that was foolproof. You can find it at most pet stores, but it is a bit pricey.
A friend of ours had a hugely massive husky who started marking in the house. One morning she caught him in the act, grabbed his weenie and dragged him outside.  :o He got the point and never did it again, but that might be a bit drastic....
Stella

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:37:49 am »
Well.....alrea dy used the Natures miracle so maybe I am already on the right track....I did get pretty dramatic as we caught him in the act....he was pretty upset about being yelled at and dragged outside...so far he hasn't done it again today.....we shall see.....we will neuter if necessary, but I would have to hate this make the breeding decision for us.  Patience...rig ht?

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 09:45:34 am »
I have a male giant schnauzer.  Really the only way to really get rid of it is to neuter but we also havent done it yet.  He is two and we finnaly made a break through i think cause after we yelled at him he stopped doing it in front of us but when we left he would do it.  So we watched him really carefully.  We had to get an enzyme based solution because that would break down the particals of the odor.  Good luck
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 05:49:09 pm »
Flynn did that twice when he first started cocking his leg about 2 months back. bot htimes caught in the act and both times I went absolutely ballistic at him. I didn't hit him or anything, just did a lot of shouting - turned the air blue! He's never done it since as he's a sensitive little soul and doesn't like being told off by his mommy.