Author Topic: Eating Habits  (Read 5355 times)

Luvmydanes

Eating Habits
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:26:12 pm »
When we give Dane his dog food in his bowl he instantly tips it over onto the floor. ??????? I have no idea why he does this, and since we feed him outside, it usually gets all over the grass. He does eat it, but off the grass and some of it gets left in the grass, gets wet, and goes to waste. Anyone know why he does this?

Kandi

nickerbokker

Re: Eating Habits
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 08:28:44 pm »
oh that picture is SOOOOO cute!

that reminds me of when the devil grabs codys collar and pulls him all around the house!  he used to reach up like that for it, now he reaches down lol

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 08:56:24 pm »
When we feed Leo we put in on a plate instead of a dish so he can't knock it over and he can see around him while he eats.  The plate sits on a little stool so it's higher up for him too.  He is a gentle eater though and doesn't push the plate when he eats so there is little mess.  That is until he goes for his water and then it's game over, grab a towel, quick!  I know how frusterating it is when they tip over the bowl!  My two legged son did the same thing when he was little and I used to get sooo frusterated!  Good luck!

Natalie

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 09:01:06 pm »
OH, p.s....the devil knocks over his water bowl about 15 times a day on the carpet.  usuallly, people would do something to correct the situation, but for some reason i am too lazy and i dont care anymore....its like FINE.......... .DO IT!  DO IT! THATS JUUUUUSTTTTT GREAT!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:37:43 pm »
Nickerbokker, you're too funny!!

We don't get knocked over dishes here, but Finn is such a messy eater! You look at my livingroom floor and you would think he knocks it over! Food dropping from his mouth all across the room...and water too. The other dogs eat the food that he drops most of the time though.

Vicki

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 10:08:26 pm »
I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but Bear dumps all of his food out of his bowl with his nose and paw when he isn't feeling like the gourmet meal is up to his high expectations.  ;) All I do is pick it up and put it back into the bowl until he decides to eat it. It may take the entire day and occasionally has taken more than one day but he gets over it and eats eventually.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 10:35:11 pm »
I LOVE DOGS!

THESE STORIES JUST BRIGHTEN MY DAY ALL THE TIME.......I LOVE SITTING AROUND READING ABOUT EVERYONES WEIRDO DOGS WHO ARE BAD EATERS!  DOGS THAT THROW A FIT AND KNOCK OVER THE FOOD BOWL....AND THE MOMS THAT PICK IT UP AND MAKE THEM EAT IT.....

I JUST LOVE IT! 

nickerbokker

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 10:44:08 pm »
LOL.........TH ATS GREAT!  WHAT AN AWESOME PIC!

see, you were lucky to somewhat contain it....angus grabs the bowl, and what he doesn't tip onto the carpet, he slowly lets leak out while walking around.  you can always find the puppy, because you follow the trail/solid line of water from the missing water bowl spot to wherever he is.  he will take that thing and just walk around until every last drop is gone, then he lays with it and falls asleep!  drives me nuts, i have to wear shoes in my house to avoid "wet feet"....ITS SO GROSS!

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:04:44 am »
Try the elevated food stations. Once they get used to them it avoids alot of the mess from spilled water. Merlin will upend his food bowl, but the plastic well keeps it contained anyway, and the bowl slides back over and creates a stash that is hidden from the puppy....for obvious reasons. Strider was only 5 weeks old, but I guess size didn't matter.
Stella

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 08:42:43 am »
I use a horse bucket for water and they only get water when they are outiside which is most of the time when I am home.  Only getting water outside, helped with housetraining, dripping mouths, and tipping of the water. I use a elevated feeder with heavy ceramic bowl in it so they can't even think about picking them out tiping them. 

If try to put water in a bowl for them, one will pick it up and dump it for me.  Food goes so fast at my house, I don't think they have time to think about making a mess.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:26:53 pm »
If I give Apache something new or different he will sniff it like it might be poison, take it ever so carefully & bring it into the livingroom where of course he has to put it on the rug, sniff at it then eat it.
Carolyn
Carolyn