Author Topic: humping  (Read 27402 times)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: humping
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 02:18:29 pm »
LOL Stella! I have always been told that it is a dominance issue aswell, just the same we stop it when it happens too. The only time that Hutch humps is when we say that we are going to the park. He tries desperatley to hump Abbey. Then the entire ride to the dog park he sticks his lipstick out as far as it can go. He is my first male dog, so it is taking me alot of time to get used to it. We have nicknamed it Mabeline, like the makeup.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 03:32:12 pm »
We have nicknamed it Mabeline, like the makeup.

OK, I am a newbie here, but I just had to de-lurk for a moment to say that is the funniest thing I have ever heard.  

We don't have to deal with the lipstick too often in my house, but I might have to steal that nickname...  ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 08:35:39 am »
I agree with jabear, in or house it is a definite no-no. And God help the furry creature that would try and hump Raven...She makes Cujo look comotose if the boys even sniff her behind.
Stella

Greta has always been this way, too.  She will not tolerate any dogs messing with her hindquarters.  There was a one time when a big male dog was being really dominant at an off-leash park and he was going to force himself on her, but I could see it would turn into a full blown fight if I didn't intervene.  Some of it, I think, has to do with the discomfort in her hind legs...both cruciate and hip.

I think it's good to teach them not to do that, because it is also a dominance issue...or so I'm told it can be.  But, it is also pretty annoying to go to someone's house for a visit and their dog is obsessed with humping other dogs.  No one can play and have fun.  ;D
Besides that, when you have furkids the size of ours, it can be really intimidating if they start that nonsense with people, especially visitors. What do you do ...tell them "It's ok, he'll be done in a minute."?
Stella

Fortunately, they have never done that to people.  Only Lou tries humping and he is definitely not the alpha around here.  He would be too timid to hump a Homo sapien leg.  He respects people...He's mostly just a food snatcher.  ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 06:54:17 pm »
My Earnest is funny, he's got a happy-go-lucky Lab personality, but with an undercurrent of alpha Dane lurking behind it. Every now and then he'll get snarly faced over another dog trying to hump him, or over another dog objecting to it.  When we go out with our Lab friends he doesn't even think about it- but when we're somewhere like the dog park it's a different story, occasionally he struts and postures a little, just to see what he can get away with. He responds to "leave it" but my problem is the people with overly submissive dogs who beg him to do it!  A friend of mine has a female like that, both boys and girls hump Montana, she'll back up underneath another dog! We're practicing with her, but it does not make for a nice outing, we have to keep them on leashes and watch every step or they start up again! Every now and then a dog like that (extremely submissive) causes a bunch of humping and tension at the dog park, it seems to trigger something in the other dogs. (BTW, Earnest was fixed really young, his humping is definitely pack behavior and not sex,I'v probably only seen lipstick once or twice in all of his 2 1/2 years!)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 10:26:54 am »

Greek 4 said it best - humping is not sexual or some perverted game - it is all about dominance and establishing hierarchy in a pack.  I never realized there were so many who were viewing this as human behavior - not thinking like a dog :)

It has nothing to do with whether a dog is fixed or not - fixed dogs, both male and female, mount others for dominance all the time.  When bringing a new dog home, it will be especially common as they sort out where each other ranks in the home.  I would never interfere with this in the home - it is critical that they sort out who is leader in the pack and the worst situation that can arise is ambiguity about it - that causes friction and in some cases even fights. When stopping it, you are saying "no, its not you" - when maybe it should be and would be.  They need to sort it out.

Outside the home is another story - I used to be of the mindset that my dog had to learn to defend himself and learn how to "get out of it".  Now I simply don't let another dog mount mine, as it is a "bully" tactic - the big dogs will always get challenged and mounted by others because they are so big - it is the mindset of "well, he's huge, so if I can dominate him, then I am the king".  Don't allow that stuff.

My golden is fierce about getting dominated - when dogs walk up to her to mount her, she'll scream at them hard if they dare.  My other dog, a Berner however, plays everyday with her best friend, a girl, who loves to hump her occasionally during the play to announce "I won - I'm dominant"

In the ends, its a fundamental pack behavior.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 10:33:09 am »
Lady and Grace do a little humping number on each other once in a while.  that's all wrong since they aren't boys.  but yeah...it's all about dominating the other dog.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 10:51:49 am »
LMAO god this is soo funny. OK as for the lipstick Dilbert doesn't have it out as often since he got neuterd. ( my brother also calls it pink pencil lol ewww i know) anyway for the humping thing Harley and Dilbert only do that to each other when they are playing, like Harley will hump Dilbert to get the rope toy ect. They never hump other dogs, and if another dog trys to hump Harley, they get told off pretty quick. Shew will not allow it, but that is because we taught her not to lwt other dogs do that to her. ( the people that live in the downstairs of out house, there dog is not fixed, and he is always trying to hump her and well the lipstick is out and he has gotten her with well... she got a bath that day ewwww) So I feel bad for him cuz now I don't let them play with him anymore cus all her wants to do is hump, and that is not fair to my dogs, it stress' Harley out, and she gets really mad at him.
Or it could just be me, not wanting them near him cus he full attenion most of the time and it's gross. For a basset hound well as said before he's quite manly.
Is it mean of me to not want to let my dogs near him? He's a great dog, super sweet but.... the humping....

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 10:54:07 am »
Ok, what's the best way to discourage this.. Bava, our little 4-month old seems to have it out all the time. And does hump a lot.  We tell him no, put that back in your pocket when he does. Kid's these days, what are you gonna do with them?  ???
edit: maybe all the time is a bit of an exageration :)  He just seems to get excited a bit more than we'd like .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 10:57:48 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:46 am »
Ok, what's the best way to discourage this.. Bava, our little 4-month old seems to have it out all the time. And does hump a lot.  We tell him no, put that back in your pocket when he does. Kid's these days, what are you gonna do with them?  ???

Lady and Grace kinda just quit doing it.  so I'm at a loss.  May want to ask your vet.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 11:35:46 am »
edit: maybe all the time is a bit of an exageration :)  He just seems to get excited a bit more than we'd like .

Dilbert had it out a lot at that age and we got him neutered at about 5 months, I didn't want him to start marking, and now it is hardly ever out.
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 11:43:52 am »
Mojo & Faust were neutered later(like around 18months) and they were always trying to hump each other.  Mojo started it I believe, he always had a VERY dominant personality.  Since he's the oldest, he taught everyone else bad manners.  :P  I'll allow them to mount each other, but try and stop them with other dogs.  The reason being that you never know how another dog is going to react and its bullying behavior.  One thing to establish rank with their pack mates.. but don't need to do it with every new dog.  I'm the alpha and I say so.  :D

Tenchi never did it until he was overcome by his love for a certain little Hobo.  ;)  Poor Hobo barely realized it because Tenchi's bits are like 18 inches higher than Hobo's back!  ROFLMAO   How I teach them to not do it, is to put them on a downstay to cool their jets.  lol  They might need a few reminders, but they get the picture.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 12:27:49 pm »
And Hobo never did it till Tenchi molested him!  I blame Mojo for all the humping at my house!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 07:05:41 pm »
I just had to get in on this humping conversation!!!
Zoot doesn't hump any other dogs but sometimes he will have what I call a "hump-attack". He suddenly with no warning just goes crazy humping nothing at all, and it looks like he can't control himself, he is just standing there doing the thrusting action and he looks at me like"what's happening???"!!! After about 10 seconds he stops and checks out his weewee to make sure everything is ok and then all is back to normal. It is the strangest thing. If he were to hump other dogs I would be very upset. I think it might have happened when he was younger but I acted very disappointed and he never did it again. Nigel didn't ever hump anything until after he was neutered and I put a stop to that quick. Humping is not allowed in my house. I am very disturbed by it! My boyfriend's little terrier tries to hump EVERYTHING THAT MOVES and I just can't stand it. Maybe it is just dogs being dogs, but I don't care! I am grossed out by the ol' red rocket. No thank you!  :D ;)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 08:04:54 am »
Ewwwww........  I never see the "Lipstick" when they're humping.  I freak when Sanity's comes out, I yell and throw things.  I've never seen Hobo's.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."