Author Topic: humping  (Read 27397 times)

nickerbokker

humping
« on: May 19, 2005, 08:50:30 pm »
well.  it has finally happened.  mr wangus now humps his big brother.  i was upset when i saw him thinking about it, but when he jumped up there and CODY LET HIM I WAS PISSED!

how many of your male dogs get it on?  is it common, or is it because we live in hollywood?  i dunno  ::)

all i know is that mr angus's lipstick is out all the time...even when he is taking a poop, and its really gross!  i wanna chop it off....do you think thats mean? lol

seriously though...why does cody take it?  is that normal?  i dont like it, thats for sure. 

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: humping
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:05:45 pm »
That is sooo funny!  I know what you mean, though.  Leo is always showing me his lipstick and I have three kids who think it's hilarious!  It makes for uncomfortable situations when strangers stop to pet him and out pops mr. happy!  My husband tried telling him that it was tiney thinking he would give him a complex about it and maybe he would stop.  No luck.  But Leo is fixed and he doesn't hump on anything, so I don't know what to tell you there, but I feel your pain about the lipstick!

Chow, Nat

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 09:18:04 pm »
We have a little bit of a lipstick problem at our house too - it is the beagle. Funny thing is he has decided that his girlfriend is the cat - and the little slut doesn't even run away or slap him or anything - we haven't been able to get him fixed because of the heart worm issue - hopefully we are close to the end of that though - he is marking everything in the house to top it all off!!!! Hopefully neutering will curtail that - hopefully..... oh please let it help.......say prayers for me - and him!!!!  :-\
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 09:24:53 pm »
Well I have yet to see Finny in an excited state! I won't be sad if that never happens!  He doesn't hump either, but my girls do. They hump eachother, they hump the cat, they hump eachother some more. The cat humping is funny!
It's been so many years since I've had a male dog I had forgotten about that, though my last one didn't do it very often at all.

Vicki

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:31:11 pm »
Seeing the lipstick doesn't gross me out unless his legs are really spread out but humping is soooooo out in our home. Bear just recently picked up the habit from one of his 4 legged friends- a standard poodle whose mom doesn't mind htat he does it all the time. She thinks it is cute but I hate it and do punish Bear when he does it. At a playdate meeting with a few other Newfs a few weeks ago the other 2 dogs did it to Bear, so we gave in and let him join in because we were the only ones saying no. Now that we are back home and heard from the dog whisperer that it is not acceptable behavior- we're confident that not allowing it is the right thing to do. On a side note- the caressing that leads up to it always is so cute...lip kisses, ear kisses, paws touching the shoulder and then bam! He ruins the cute moment every time.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 10:27:30 pm »
LOL, bam, you're damn right!

humping is just swell....

and i dont let them do it either....cody has always gotten in trouble for it, and he isn't allowed to lick himself either....BUT, when someone new comes over (the most embarrassing for mom of course), cody just cant control himself. the only way i can get him to stop is to drag him to his corner and make him face the wall...even then he humps the floor!  but angus isn't allowed to do it either....

YUCK....

and for a side note, the lipstick cracks me up!   what grosses me out is that its already the size of my leg...angus is a little dirk diggler!  the only time i REALLY cant stand it is when he is pooping and its limp and swinging around, its like a worm....and the other time is when i am laying in bed and he comes and sticks it over my head.....but we corrected that one already...and he wasn't happy about it!, believe me LOL

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 08:14:10 am »
I agree with jabear, in or house it is a definite no-no. And God help the furry creature that would try and hump Raven...She makes Cujo look comotose if the boys even sniff her behind.
Stella

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 08:32:09 am »
I was told that non sexual (male on male or female on female, or neutered male) humping is the dogs attempt to show dominance.  Since Cody takes it, it is likely he doesn't mind not being top dog.  I would just keep an eye on it and stop it as soon or before it happens from now on. 

My male will hump my female randomly but I can see it coming now.  He will start playing rough, trying to turn her around, and his back will scrunch up.  If I just tell him 'No' in a stern voice and distract them both with a toy or treat or ball, the humping is over until he gets the notion to do it again later.

He doesn't do it as much now that I have learned to watch for it and stop it before he can't control himself.

Good luck.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:33:08 am »
glad i have girls-the lipstick thing is gross. but, my lab brandy will hump almost anything-she is 10 years old and humps pillows. i can not have a pillow on the beds or she does it-she takes the cushions off the couch to hump them!  she used to try and hump my sharpei before she crossed the bridge but the psi would have none of that! i have tried correcting this beahvior with no luck-she just wants dominance over all pillows in the house!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 09:09:32 am »
My golden mix ONLY humps other male dogs - or small children. The kids that come play with him say, "Look! He's hugging me." How embarrassing! I don't dare tell them the truth so I just play along. All of my dogs are neutered now so I only get the little lipstick every once in a while, but before my aussie was neutered, the whole she-bang came out and I couldn't believe how big it was!! Every dog I ever had growing up was neutered ASAP so that was my first encounter with a full-on you-know-what. Let me tell you, it nearly lifted him off the ground!! I just yelled at him, "Oh my GOD!! Put that away!!" I don't know what even brought it on as we didn't have any female dogs around at that time and everyone else was "fixed".
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 01:46:22 pm »
Galahad started to hump our 4 year old daughter the very first day he was here, the breeder suggested it was something in our house because he had never done that there lol.... Anyway, we do correct him, and he is getting better. The lipstick doesnt gross me out, I guess I have always had male dogs and have grown used to the sight  ;D But Galahad is doing what Angus is, when he is pooping he is having it hanging all over the place and that isnt a pretty sight. My husband asked me if I thought pooping turned him on since it always comes out during that. I certainly hope not... that would make me really concerned lol...

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 03:56:19 pm »
I've only seen it ouncing around when Bear has had the runs. It was so disgusting. I was embarrassed to because I thought it made him look like a wierdo...and then I wondered if it hurt. You know, its hanging out, bouncing around....eugh- sick! Hopefully he'll one day realize you don't do that to anything especially not in public with enough correction. BTW, I do feel sorry for those of you with compulsive humpers...you poor fur parents.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 04:41:32 pm »
Yeah, no fun in public when "gurkin" is hanging out. We went to the park the other day, and Jennifer played at the playground, I sat there with her, with Hera and Galahad, and two children came up to me and pointed at Galahad and asked "what is that?" I said ohhhh he is an Old Engligh Mastiff, its okay to pet him.......... They looked at me and said nooooo "THAT!!" and I looked and saw his entire lipstick and I so wanted to pour my bottle of water over him. The kids mom came and almost looked at me as if I was a perv. it was so embarrasing to have to excuse my puppy for being naughty in public.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 09:12:03 am »
I agree with jabear, in or house it is a definite no-no. And God help the furry creature that would try and hump Raven...She makes Cujo look comotose if the boys even sniff her behind.
Stella

Greta has always been this way, too.  She will not tolerate any dogs messing with her hindquarters.  There was a one time when a big male dog was being really dominant at an off-leash park and he was going to force himself on her, but I could see it would turn into a full blown fight if I didn't intervene.  Some of it, I think, has to do with the discomfort in her hind legs...both cruciate and hip.

I think it's good to teach them not to do that, because it is also a dominance issue...or so I'm told it can be.  But, it is also pretty annoying to go to someone's house for a visit and their dog is obsessed with humping other dogs.  No one can play and have fun.  ;D
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 09:33:15 am »
Stella

Greta has always been this way, too.  She will not tolerate any dogs messing with her hindquarters.  There was a one time when a big male dog was being really dominant at an off-leash park and he was going to force himself on her, but I could see it would turn into a full blown fight if I didn't intervene.  Some of it, I think, has to do with the discomfort in her hind legs...both cruciate and hip.

I think it's good to teach them not to do that, because it is also a dominance issue...or so I'm told it can be.  But, it is also pretty annoying to go to someone's house for a visit and their dog is obsessed with humping other dogs.  No one can play and have fun.  ;D
Besides that, when you have furkids the size of ours, it can be really intimidating if they start that nonsense with people, especially visitors. What do you do ...tell them "It's ok, he'll be done in a minute."?
Stella