Author Topic: Introducing Zora . . .  (Read 14903 times)

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
  • Yes . . . I am spoiled rotten
    • View Profile
Introducing Zora . . .
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:25:14 am »
. . . hello, everyone!  My name is Zora, and I'm a seven-month old girl.  My mom just brought me home this past Tuesday, so I'm adjusting to a very different environment.  I LOVE my new home -- and I already know my mom loves me.  I even have a bratty little three-month old brother; his name is Oberon, but we call him Obie.  He's a black miniature, and he actually THINKS he's the boss of me.  Frankly, I believe he has a Napoleon complex (most minis do)!

My picture really shows how much I love my new home.  I had a very stressful day yesterday.  When we got home,  my mom let me and Obie out in the back yard to handle our business, and I crawled into my mom's bed when I came back inside.   My mom took me to the vet, and that nasty doctor was poking in my ears -- I didn't like that one bit, so I warned him with a growl and nip.  He told my mom that I might be a fear biter, but would you like someone poking around in your ears if you had an infection?  (See, the lady who bred me posted my ears Tuesday when my mom came to take me home, but my mom unwrapped them Friday because I kept shaking my head and my ears were kinda stinky.  Come to think of it, that docter poked my little brother with those sticky things quite a bit too, but my little brother isn't afraid of ANYTHING!)  Anyhow, after me and my little brother finished with the vet, I went and got groomed.  The groomer man was really nice and kept talking to me, and I did just fine.  We were at that PetSmart for about four hours -- that's a long day for anyone!  The doctor told my mom that I behaved as if I had been abused, so now she's worried that I might be too aggressive.  I'm just not used to, nor do I care for, new sounds and people -- it's scary.  But my mom has been taking me on long walks to the park, around the neighborhood and to PetSmart to get me uh -- what's the word? -- oh yeah, socialized.   Today's PetSmart trip was about two hours long.  We gone through the Starbucks drive-through window a couple of times, too.  I'm really trying to adjust to all this new stuff -- it's very different from the place I left.  I growl and bark when I'm scared, but my mom tries to calm me down and let me know that it's okay.  Hopefully I can learn not to be so afraid at this schol she's taking me to.  I do have fun playing with Obie and my mom.  I'm even learning how to break the house -- er, get housebroken.  I never learned at my old house, but I want so much to please my mom that I go to the kitchen door when I want to go outside.  Not bad for less than a week, huh?

I'm glad my mom found this board -- Obie is her fifth mini, but I'm her first Giant.  I'm sure she can get a lot of good advice here!

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: Introducing Zora . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:40:41 am »
Hi!!!  Welcome to BPO!  I'm Melissa, and the picture there is my 7 month old Giant named Dazy and my 3 1/2 year old Mini named Ladybug.  Giants are so different from the minis.  lol   Good luck with Zora.  I've had Dazy since she was 8 weeks old, so I'm not sure what to do with an adolecent in a new invironment.  I'm sure others here will have lots of advice though.  I really look forward to having another Giant Schnauzer parent on board!

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:42:35 am »
Oh, Zora!

Its ok, Honey! It sounds like you have a wonderful mommy that is trying very hard to make sure you aren't scared anymore! Trust her, she'll take good care of you! I'm Auntie Nicole, and I've got a 6 year old Newfie mix named Cabeza. He's not afraid of nothin'! hahaha! But there are lots of doggies here that have been scared of stuff when they first got their forever mommies and daddies, and have overcome it! So, stick around, sweety! You'll learn so much and so will your mommy!

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 12:48:19 am »
Hi!!!  Welcome to BPO!  I'm Melissa, and the picture there is my 7 month old Giant named Dazy and my 3 1/2 year old Mini named Ladybug.  Giants are so different from the minis.  lol   Good luck with Zora.  I've had Dazy since she was 8 weeks old, so I'm not sure what to do with an adolecent in a new invironment.  I'm sure others here will have lots of advice though.  I really look forward to having another Giant Schnauzer parent on board!

Hello, Melissa!  Thanks for the welcome.  My mom, Francine, says thanks, too! 

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 12:51:57 am »
Oh, Zora!

Its ok, Honey! It sounds like you have a wonderful mommy that is trying very hard to make sure you aren't scared anymore! Trust her, she'll take good care of you! I'm Auntie Nicole, and I've got a 6 year old Newfie mix named Cabeza. He's not afraid of nothin'! hahaha! But there are lots of doggies here that have been scared of stuff when they first got their forever mommies and daddies, and have overcome it! So, stick around, sweety! You'll learn so much and so will your mommy!

Ooh!  Auntie, Nikki, you sound reallly nice.  I'm trying very hard to be a good girl.  My sister actually picked my mom to go home with, but my mom chose ME, even though I was on the small side and one of my toes is deformed.  I didn't get passed over!  Yippee!  I'm just happy to have a forever home.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 01:03:51 am »
hahaha! Oh, poor Zora! Sometimes its hard to be a good girl, even when you try! Especially if you've had a hard life! But, Big Paws Only is such a cool place! You'll meet lots of new friends here!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 01:05:10 am »
Hello and welcome!  I'd love to see some pics of you and your brother.

My name is Chris, and I am owned by Keiko, a husky/shep mix, and Gunther, a great dane.

Gunther was and still is afraid of new things, and he was never abused.  He's just a big chicken....... ....lol.  Perhaps Zora was just never socialized properly, which would make her very fearful of things.

Good luck with the socialization and housebreaking.  Sounds like you are doing well already.

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 01:13:41 am »
Hello and welcome!  I'd love to see some pics of you and your brother.

My name is Chris, and I am owned by Keiko, a husky/shep mix, and Gunther, a great dane.

Gunther was and still is afraid of new things, and he was never abused.  He's just a big chicken....... ....lol.  Perhaps Zora was just never socialized properly, which would make her very fearful of things.

Good luck with the socialization and housebreaking.  Sounds like you are doing well already.

Thanks for the welcome, Chris.  I'm Francine, Zora's mom.  I disagree with the vet; I believe that Zora simply received little if any socialization.  On the way to the park yesterday, she saw her shadow on the fence -- for the first time -- and went beserk!  She is very fearful; my only concern is that she does attempt to bite.  Fortunately, shes only 57 pounds; as she gets larger, this will be an even bigger problem if I don't check it now.  I'm going to try and insert pics of Zora and Obie below:

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 01:17:00 am »
Cute photo!  Welcome to BPO!  You'll love it here.  Poor little Zora, I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable soon.  It sounds like you're a little unsure of everything now.  You've got a great mom though, a cute little brother, and you'll make new friends here at BPO.  You'll get the hang of it!

I'm Jessica and we're owned by two newfie girls, Sasha (1 year) and Bella (13 weeks).

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 10:24:41 am »
Hi and Welcome to Francine and Zora,
   I'm Erin I'm owned by an aussie, Lacey, and a newf, Kali.  It does sound like she wasn't socialized well.  Lacey can be fear aggressive so I know your situation and we're having problems with it right now :-\.  The main thing is to stay calm and assertive and not to comfort her.  If you comfort her you're encouraging the bad state of mind.  I'd suggest watching Cesar Milan's the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel.  He gives good advice for working with fearful dogs.  The walks are definitely a good thing so keep doing it.  I believe he also has a website and a DVD, if you don't get the channel.  I hope this helps.

I know most of the advice is easier said then done ;).
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 12:56:24 pm »
Hiya, Jessie.  Your newfies are cuties!  Thanks for the encouragement!   :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 01:09:02 pm »
Hi Zora and Francine. We're so glad  you've decided to join us. And, Zora - for 7 months old you are certainly a good story teller and typist! Don't worry, my dog Oasis who recently passed away was very abused when I got him - he was about 6 months old - he shied away from everything, but as soon as he got comfortable in his new home and learned we weren't going to hurt him, he became the most lovable, gentle dog that made friends wherever he went.

Just move slowly, talk gently and pile on the love. We look forward to Zora's updates.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 01:11:31 pm »
Correct me if I've misunderstood.  Has your pup been abused by the breeder? 

Welcome to Big Paws Only.  Your two are cute.  That will definetly be an interesting sight when you walk them together.  I'm Tina.  That is my 2 year old rescue Jack.  I hope you like it here.

Hi, Jacksmom!  Thanks for the compliment!  My mom already gets oohs and ahs when we go to the park!  People think I'm Obie's mom!  Now tell me, do I look old enough to have a kid?  LOL!  I'm not sure what that word abused means.  My mom doesn't think I was abused; she thinks I just wasn't socialized.  See, the breeder from whom my mom bought me had her knee replaced after me and my siblings were born, and she's fallen twice since her surgery (my siblings and I probably had something to do with one of those falls).  Anyhow, she had me and two of my siblings, my mom and dad, a mini and a shih-tzh living together in separate crates (although I shared a 52" crate with my sis) under one roof.   My mom believes the breeder's injury limited her ability to give us the time and attention we really needed.  Plus, not too many people come by to see us older pups -- they all seem to want the babies.  My mom also believes that the breeder loved all of us, because she made sure we made timely vet visits, fed us good food and distilled water; mom just thinks the breeder was somewhat overwhelmed with the number of dogs in a small space.  I don't even think my mom could do that!  But now, I have my own crate and a big back yard, and I can sleep in my mom's bed and get on the sofa.  My mom's really nice to me and my little brother.  My mom's also a sucker for the underdog (ha! ha! no pun intended -- I think I just made a joke), so PLEASE keep this in mind, or we might wind up with an overcrowded house, too!  (There are three giants in Texas in need of rescue on the schnauzer rescue message board; if me and my brother were housebroken and a little more adjusted, I'm sure my mom would give one a home -- maybe one of you can help?  I'm my mom's first giant, so we kinda have a learning curve.  Maybe by next year we can make room for another one). 

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 01:17:41 pm »
Hi Zora and Francine. We're so glad  you've decided to join us. And, Zora - for 7 months old you are certainly a good story teller and typist! Don't worry, my dog Oasis who recently passed away was very abused when I got him - he was about 6 months old - he shied away from everything, but as soon as he got comfortable in his new home and learned we weren't going to hurt him, he became the most lovable, gentle dog that made friends wherever he went.

Just move slowly, talk gently and pile on the love. We look forward to Zora's updates.

Jeanne

Howdy, Jeanne!  I am so sorry for your loss.  I'm sure that Oasis' shyness only made you love him all the more.  I hope to become a loveable, friendly girl when I grow up.   Little by little I'll get there, because I know my mom believes in me.

Offline Zora

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 01:20:18 pm »
Hi and Welcome to Francine and Zora,
   I'm Erin I'm owned by an aussie, Lacey, and a newf, Kali.  It does sound like she wasn't socialized well.  Lacey can be fear aggressive so I know your situation and we're having problems with it right now :-\.  The main thing is to stay calm and assertive and not to comfort her.  If you comfort her you're encouraging the bad state of mind.  I'd suggest watching Cesar Milan's the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel.  He gives good advice for working with fearful dogs.  The walks are definitely a good thing so keep doing it.  I believe he also has a website and a DVD, if you don't get the channel.  I hope this helps.

I know most of the advice is easier said then done ;).

Hallllooooooo, Erin!  I'm gonna tell my mom to watch that show!  We looked at Mr. Milan's website, and noticed that he will be in both Austin and Kerrville in late March, so my mom might try and take me and Obie to see him (if it doesn't cost too much).  Thanks for telling us about it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 01:22:17 pm by Zora »