Author Topic: High Hopes :D  (Read 7677 times)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
High Hopes :D
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:20:58 pm »
I have been working putting a pedigree together on a breeding that I'm considering for Penny. I sent it to her breeder today, and got very positive feedback on it.

Penny's breeder and I are making plans to see this young dog and go over him, but barring anything really wierd or unforeseen, Penny will be visiting CH Apollonia Anything Goes ("Axel") late this year.

This will be a loose line breeding on CH Full Moon's As Good As It Gets ("Phil". "Phil" is strong for topline and type, especially head type. He goes back directly to 2 dogs (sire and grandsire) who were strong for great topline and beautiful type, CH Vom Sonnenhouse Kruggerand, and Belg. CH Grave Kapenborgh.

Axel offers lovely color, nice angles front and rear, beautiful type, very nice movement, correct eye shape, and a nearly flawless health testing background. He is particularly strong for elbows, having all normal parents AND grandparents, along with 2 normal great grand parents. This is important because as some of you may or may not know, Penny has one elbow DJD Grade 1, and her side of the pedigree is NOT strong for elbows.

Axel's dam is very strong for topline.

Here is the pedigree:

http://redyrerottweilers.bravehost.com/pennyaxel.html

And a couple photos of Axel....

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/RedyreRotties/AxelHeadhshotFront.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/RedyreRotties/AxelAOMCRC.jpg

I have personally seen and had my hands on most of the dogs behind Axel.

He should help Penny with eye shape, topline, shoulder lay, angles, and mouthpigment.

Line breeding on Phil, even that distantly, I could see a few puppies with a rounder eye. That is where Penny's is coming from, however, since Axel has such a distinct almond eye, there should be some puppies who do have correct eye shape. It's also possible I would see a puppy with a soft topline, not the desired head type, or markings that are lighter than you want. Puppies displaying these faults might be placed as companions or working prospects, depending on the severity of the fault.

However, Phil was strong for topline and type, especially head type, so he brings some very good things to the table. Phil's sire and grand sire were also dogs of gorgeous type with very good toplines, and very good producers.

Axel's dam has a beautiful correct topline as well, so I would expect good things with improvement there.

All in all, the pedigree looks very promising. If all goes well in the next several months, Penny will finish her AKC CH title, and earn her Rally Novice obedience title. We are also working on herding, and plan to go on to finish her AKC obedience titles through Utility.

She will be 2 July 28th, and shortly thereafter I will have her final OFA hip and elbow films done. She will also have another CERF test, and an Doppler echocardiogram done on her heart.

Should all go as planned, I look for January 07 puppies.

:D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:22:46 pm by RedyreRottweilers »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Lyn

Re: High Hopes :D
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:47:12 pm »
Wow, Axel is gorgeous! He's da man. I love his head shape.

I hope all goes well and we get to see some puppy pics.  ;D

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:58:43 pm »
wow congradulation s!  Sounds like this might be quite the match!   :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 05:14:35 pm »
He's so handsome! I'm sure they'll make great looking puppies!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 07:33:11 pm »
Sooo....does this make you the grandma...sort of?  and all of us the aunts and uncles.....sor t of??

It seems as if it's all been well thought out and you should have some magnificient puppies!!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 07:52:26 pm »
If everyone who considered breeding put as much time, effort, and responsibility into planning each breeding as you do, there would be no health problems in dogs.

Weedsport, NY

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 08:07:19 pm »

Well of course you shall all be honorary aunties and uncles. :D

There will be a picture avalanche during the entire escapade. I plan to keep a daily log of what is happening throughout her entire pregnancy, whelping, and the rearing of the puppies to use as future reference. This will include at least weekly formal photos of the puppies as well as keeping an extensive diary in addition to the normal notations of weight gains, etc. during the first several weeks.

I have spent hours upon HOURS planning this breeding, researching pedigree, health testing, show records.....I have practically LIVED at the OFA and Paw village websites. I found this young dog by accident, and had no idea that he was a top winner until after I was really feeling good about his suitability as a match. I found him by looking for dogs who were down from "Phil" because I knew he had traits that I wanted, and he appears once in her pedigree.

Of course between now and then we will be sacrificing to the dog breeding Gods on at least a weekly basis, throwing salt over our shoulder once per month, picking all the 4 leaf clovers we can find, all the while being careful not to break any mirrors or step on any cracks in the sidewalk.

;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 08:27:30 pm by RedyreRottweilers »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 08:26:09 pm »
That is so exciting.  I can’t wait to read every single word from the breed planning to the puppies in their new homes.  This will be such great training since we are about 6-8 months behind when you will have puppies for our first litter.  We have a short list of 4 males I am following for now Dixie will not be ready until at least may of 2007.  Please post every little detail ;)

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)