Author Topic: Show dogs?  (Read 15427 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Show dogs?
« on: February 05, 2006, 11:26:43 pm »
I just got an email from Chester's breeder and he really wants me to show him.  I've NEVER even been remotely interested (what if the judges don't think he's as cute as I do? ::)  What if think he's ugly??  :P) so, my question is, how do I begin?  Should I hire a handler?  How do I find one?  Chester is trained well enough for the family, but is there any special training that has to be done?

I NEED HELP!!!!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Show dogs?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 11:56:08 pm »

I would ask the breeder.

If they are willing to show him, that's the best of all worlds. I show my puppies for no fee except entries and boarding while they are with me in my care. (7.00 per day)

If the breeder can't show for you, ask them for handler recommendation s.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:38:10 am »
Great idea.  He's in Texas and I'm in California so I'm sure I'll just be asking for references. ; :D

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:16:46 am »
I wish you were my breeder.  ;)

I would ask the breeder.

If they are willing to show him, that's the best of all worlds. I show my puppies for no fee except entries and boarding while they are with me in my care. (7.00 per day)

If the breeder can't show for you, ask them for handler recommendation s.

:D
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:48:56 am »
Oh another one that is going to get hooked just like I did. I have only taken Dixie to one show now I am looking for every show within a 1 to 3 hour drive time to enter. Plus I am now working on getting my second show girl.  Amber has an “I told you so” on that one.  ;)

The first thing you need it lots of mentors.  I have Amber (Amberdoggone it), Joe (Sugar Bear's breeder) Kim (Dixie's breeder), and Marie (an Atlanta breeder) as my mentors. I also have an on-line friend that will start showing in April.  She spent 7 months in the search for her show girl. So we share any information we find that may be helpful to the other.  I read every post on BPO that has to do with showing and/or breeding.  I follow the post by redyrerottweil ers and taijinrr very close for any show tips. 

These are the show books I have found very helpful:

The Absolute Beginner’s guide to showing your dog by Cheryl S. Smith
Show Me! A Dog-Showing Primer by D. Caroline Coile
Raising A Champion By Carole L. Richards

These are a few of the show message boards I read:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Southern_Show_Dogs/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dog_Show_Discussions/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9judge_mental/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LetsDiscussJudging/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoopOnJudges/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Show-Me/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShowDogs/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Showdogs-Plus/

For dog show information go to:

http://www.akc.org

http://www.onofrio.com/index.html

Another few info sites:

http://www.aponc.com/a_beginners_guide_%20to_dog_shows.htm
This is the handler I used on the second day of our first show, Barry Elliott of Raymore MO.  If you can get a catalog from a show in the area there will be a list of agents in it.  I would think that your breeder would be able to find you a good handler for show.  Sugar Bears breeder’s son is going to show Dixie in our next set of show. 

It is just so much fun being around other dog people, and seeing all of the dog breeds. I am sure you will have an area BPO fan club for Chester.  It means so much when pals will go to a show just to see your baby run around the ring.  I even took Sugar Bear so he could be in on the fun.  Most shows will let you take an unentered dog.  I have one next month that will not, so Sugar Bear will get to spend the day with Daddy.

Lisa

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 10:49:36 am by DixieSugarBear »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 10:53:22 am »
Wow, Lisa!  Great info and ideas!  I'll check all the sites you gave and try to get up to speed fast!  I have a friend who has seven Newfs and she's shown a couple of them.  It was fun to watch her guys in the ring even if they didn't do very well :(.

Chester's dad is an international Champ as was the grandpa.  Two of his brothers are already doing well so there is some pressure to get him going.  :P

Will keep you posted!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:59:28 am »
You know it is tons of fun even on the days that you leave without points.  My two had a ball just being there for two days. We all had fun so that is a win just about as good as Best In Show.  I dont think my heart could have taken anything past going into group.  ;) 

Have you checked out when the next show is in your area?  Dixie's first show was the very first dog show I had ever been to. I know I was a fool jumping in without ever having been to one, but it was fun. 

Lisa

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:10:03 pm »
Our breeder thought Drake was a total show dog and wanted to show him before we got him neutered.  We thought about it and this is what we concluded:

Drake is used to being able to play outside every day and have affection poured on him.  If we were to give him to our breeder to show, he would be only one of several dogs that she would be showing and he would be spending most of his time in a crate by himself.   We would miss him incredibly and the idea that he wouldn't be getting very much attention outside of being groomed and being shown, really bothered us.  Drake is a very sensitive dog and gets really upset when we leave him for any extended period of time.  Not to cast an ugly shadow on showing dogs, but we got Drake because we wanted a pet, not a show dog, and it would be more upsetting for us as well as him, if we were to send him off for an extended period of time to be shown.  So we decided against doing that, but that was just our slant on that topic.  If I was able to be the one to show him, maybe that would be an option, but I don't have the time for that so it's not an option.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 02:20:46 pm »
They really can do both if you are the one that takes them to the shows.  Dixie is my baby girl first and last.  Dog shows are just another way we have fun together.  During the two day show Dixie was in a crate for about 15 min. just before her ring time. 

Lisa

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 03:39:17 pm »
Boy don't ever think the show dogs don't get attention!! Part of showing is a happy dog and a lot of work goes into making a show a great place to be.  Non stop goodies, non stop  petting, going for long walks and getting to see different things and meet different dogs, more petting and more petting, and so on and so forth.  Don't like your food - mom will cook for you.  Want a sugar cookie - mom will buy it for you.  Need to have a bone - mom will go to the vendor and get you one right away.  Our dogs will knock you down if they think they are going to a show!!  When I die I want to come back as a show dog.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 03:47:51 pm »
LOL, boy do you have me down pat! IF Dixie or Sugar Bear see me open the back of the SUV they will almost run you over just to get in. 

Lisa

Boy don't ever think the show dogs don't get attention!! Part of showing is a happy dog and a lot of work goes into making a show a great place to be.  Non stop goodies, non stop  petting, going for long walks and getting to see different things and meet different dogs, more petting and more petting, and so on and so forth.  Don't like your food - mom will cook for you.  Want a sugar cookie - mom will buy it for you.  Need to have a bone - mom will go to the vendor and get you one right away.  Our dogs will knock you down if they think they are going to a show!!  When I die I want to come back as a show dog.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 05:23:51 pm »
Drake is used to being able to play outside every day and have affection poured on him.  If we were to give him to our breeder to show, he would be only one of several dogs that she would be showing and he would be spending most of his time in a crate by himself.   We would miss him incredibly and the idea that he wouldn't be getting very much attention outside of being groomed and being shown, really bothered us.  Drake is a very sensitive dog and gets really upset when we leave him for any extended period of time.  Not to cast an ugly shadow on showing dogs, but we got Drake because we wanted a pet, not a show dog, and it would be more upsetting for us as well as him, if we were to send him off for an extended period of time to be shown.

That's the problem....I agree with Newf Lover.  If it was a once a month thing where we could go as a pack, it would be fun.  But if it was a situation where a handler wanted to take Chester for weeks at a time, we would be SO lonesome without him.  The only reason the breeder didn't keep Chester himself for show was that one of his litter mates nipped the end of his tail and broke it...so there's a tweak in there that could be points off.  Now that he's a big guy with a full body of fur, you can't feel it unless you know where to dig. 

I'm going to listen to the breeder and talk to handlers and see what they say.  If we can work it so that he only does show in the So. Cal. area so we can take him and bring him home with us, we could do that.  If it means sending him  to boarding school and then being on the road, it's just a no-go for us.  He's just too much a part of the family.

I'll let you know what happens!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:08:36 pm »
You  should learn how to handle him yourself, too!  Think how fun it would be to travel all around to shows in an RV with your boys.  They'd be spoiled unmercifully at every campground! 

You have two beautiful boys to practice with, I bet if you found a mentor you'd get up to speed in no time.  And  I'll also bet that someone up there on the Peninsula is already showing their dogs. See if there are bulletin boards at the places where you shop for them that you can put something up on. 

Or try a Craig's List ad!  Even if there's not someone right around the corner from you, there are way too many purebreds in the South Bay for there NOT to be some handlers who would be willing to teach you!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Blair

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 06:14:47 pm »
I used to show my first dane, before he passed away. I did it all myself and had a blast doing it. Believe it or not , he was spoiled more then my 3 boys I have now. And it was a blast traveling all over with him. I really do miss showing and i am hoping in a year or 2 to get another Dane to show, but to show myself. I want to show my dog to his Championship. I always thought of the time I spent in the ring with George, as our special time together. When we were in the ring he was all Momma's boys and did great, we won a few ribbons. I really felt special cause he only showed for me, my husband tryed once and George didnt listen to him at all LOL. George was always a family member first then he was a "show" dog, a very spoiled "show" dog. I would really think about it, it is really fun Showing your baby your self  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:21:05 pm by Blair »

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 06:16:55 pm »
I'm not sure why it would be the breeders choice as to where you show.  Unless you purchase as a pet and need the breeder to make the change with AKC.  If the breeder really cares about the dog she will want you to show in the way that works best for your family.  Most of our show will be within a couple of hours from our house, so they get to sleep in their own bed even when there is a show.  If I can not be there Dixie will not be.  I did have one handler ask to take her on the road but I would not do it. Being at the show with them I would think is 99% of the fun.

Lisa

Drake is used to being able to play outside every day and have affection poured on him.  If we were to give him to our breeder to show, he would be only one of several dogs that she would be showing and he would be spending most of his time in a crate by himself.   We would miss him incredibly and the idea that he wouldn't be getting very much attention outside of being groomed and being shown, really bothered us.  Drake is a very sensitive dog and gets really upset when we leave him for any extended period of time.  Not to cast an ugly shadow on showing dogs, but we got Drake because we wanted a pet, not a show dog, and it would be more upsetting for us as well as him, if we were to send him off for an extended period of time to be shown.

That's the problem....I agree with Newf Lover.  If it was a once a month thing where we could go as a pack, it would be fun.  But if it was a situation where a handler wanted to take Chester for weeks at a time, we would be SO lonesome without him.  The only reason the breeder didn't keep Chester himself for show was that one of his litter mates nipped the end of his tail and broke it...so there's a tweak in there that could be points off.  Now that he's a big guy with a full body of fur, you can't feel it unless you know where to dig. 

I'm going to listen to the breeder and talk to handlers and see what they say.  If we can work it so that he only does show in the So. Cal. area so we can take him and bring him home with us, we could do that.  If it means sending him  to boarding school and then being on the road, it's just a no-go for us.  He's just too much a part of the family.

I'll let you know what happens!