Author Topic: Rotti story  (Read 3677 times)

Rufiesmom

Rotti story
« on: May 20, 2005, 09:59:06 am »
Did anybody see Oprah yesterday?  She had the most incredible rotti story.  This breed gets such a bad reputation mainly from stupid dog owners.  It was so heartwarming to see something so positive.  This rotti is a therapy dog and is trained to alert its owner if she is getting ready to have a seizure.  The woman had a seizure and the dog brought the phone to her.  She was unconscious so the dog went back to the phone base and actually dialed 911!!  They played the 911 tape and when the 911 operator answered all she heard was the dog barking.  She said the dog sounded so insistent that she was convinced something was wrong and told the dog help was on the way.  The dog unlocked the front door and then went back to her unconscious mom and laid down to protect her.  You can't tell me dogs aren't angels in fur coats!!

lins_saving_grace

Re: Rotti story
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 10:04:02 am »
I wish I had seen that.  Animal Planet did a show like that once where the Rott was so sensitive to his owner that it barked before a seizure.
They really do get a bad rap with being Rotts.  They are the biggest babies in the world though.  :)

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 07:46:09 pm »
It seems as though the more people that hate Rottweilers, the more some of us love them.
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 09:47:29 am »
That is an incredible story.  I read it in the news here in Washington State.  I believe the owner lives in the Seattle area.  I wish I'd seen the Oprah show.

In my home, we were just discussing how there are basically three options for every rottweiler owner.  (1) They can increase the dog's aggression by playing games that encourage nipping, growling and horseplay, and it seems to be mostly men who encourage this behavior, creating a more dominant dog.  (2) Train the rottweiler moderately, so he or she is obedient, but a happy, mischievous part of the family, nonetheless.  Provide much supervision and be as responsible as possible, without encouraging aggressive games.  (3) Take full advantage of the intelligence of this breed (and the intelligence of all breeds, for that matter) and find the particular dog's niche...his/her talent, so-to-speak, tap into it and have an astounding genius companion that blows the minds' of those less familiar with canine aptitudes.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Rufiesmom

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 11:27:51 am »
Well said!!