Author Topic: Is a Fila right for my family?  (Read 37179 times)

GR8DAME

Re: Is a Fila right for my family?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 06:46:58 pm »
Although I have never had a fila, I did raise both of my kids (18 and 11) with dobermans. They are wonderful family dogs, highly intelligent and very obedient. While protective of home and family, they were easily trained to allow people in and out of the house as long as there was a family member in attendence that could let the stranger in. Assuming you train them well, and socialize them heavily, they can go anywhere. My two largest males (90 and 110 lbs) were obedience trained by my husband and I under a professional trainer. I spent many afternoons at the local grade school at show and tell, then was asked back year after year to demonstrate dog obedience and training to the kindergarden and 1st grade classes, even after my kids had passed thru. As far as doberman dogs go, the more time and training you can invest, the better behaved family member you will have.
Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 06:53:22 pm »
I have to agree with everybody here.  Halo knows what to expect...and there is NOTHING that sounds like this would be a good family dog.  I had an Akita when my kids were tiny and it was a HUGE mistake.  Akitas are not same level of aggression as a Fila but frightening in their own right.  We had done all the training we could to have Teddy accept the kids friends, other animals, etc.  He killed every cat that wandered on to our property, along with skunks (that was special!! :P) etc. The kids could not have friends over unless Teddy was tied up.  It was a miserable life for him and for us too.

I completely agree about recommending Newfoundlands.  They are awesome with kids and adore their families.  They are protective but not murderous!  They bark a big DEEP WOOF that will freeze people that don't know the breed but a child can snuggle up to a Newfs belly and go sound asleep and the Newf will not move.  (I know....I've done it!!! ;D  even though I'm not a kid!).

Really, there is nothing worse than having a loaded weapon in the house with your kids....and I think that's just what a Fila is!

Sorry, I'd love to help you get this guy out of the shelter, but I think it has all the makings of a really sad situation. :(

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Get to know us! - Sarah & Eric
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 07:07:57 pm »
I am thankful for everyone's comments, and a little sad  :'( that this fila would not be a good fit for my family, but I know that we will find our dog soon enough and this adorable fila will be adopted by the right person.

My husband and I will look into another breed, as mentioned earlier, I am also interested in rotties....so that's probably where we'll start doing our homework...
"If you want the best seat in the house ... move the dog"

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 07:09:25 pm »
My husband's been interested in Danes...are they hyper dogs? I'm not much into energetic dogs, I'd prefer one that is more calm and layed back.

Yaz

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2006, 07:09:32 pm »
Just thought I would pass along this unsettling article that was sent to me the other day -  not to imply the Fila's owner was not telling the truth, but if you are going to adopt this breed, beware of the stats involved.

Dog Owners Hide The Truth From Shelters About Their Pets' Behavioral Problems (January 30, 2006) ­
 Many dog owners who relinquish their pets to animal shelters are not entirely honest about their dogs' behavioral problems -- probably for fear that their pets will be put to sleep, according to a study from the University of Pennsylvania and University of California veterinary schools. According to the researchers, these behavioral problems may sometimes pose a risk to an adopting family who could unknowingly take in an aggressive animal.

full story = http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/01/060130151722.htm

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 07:12:07 pm »
Yaz, I love your signature quote!  ;D Can you tell me about your St. Bernard?

Offline Halo05

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 07:18:15 pm »
That's what I was saying. You won't know what would "trigger" him and that could be dangerous to all. Glad you will look at other breeds. I like Giant Schnauzers personally. I read great things about them.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 07:25:47 pm »
Hi!  I think it's great that you are asking alot of questions before going out and adopting a dog, especially a breed you may not be familiar with.  Cheers for you!

You asked about a dane's energy level.  Great danes are known in the dog world as being the largest lap dogs around.  They are pretty much couch potatoes, once they get out of puppyhood.  As puppies, they of course can be hyper as all puppies can be, you just notice it a bit more b/c of their size.  My Gunther is the anti-dane in that he never gets hyper except for outside and at the park, and has been that way since I got him at 12 wks old.

But as with any large and giant breed dog, be sure to have them very well trained.  Some large breeds have tendencies towards protection, and without proper socialization and training, can be a handful to deal with.  I'm sure you want a dog that looks intimidating, without trying to attack everyone it meets.

Good luck with your research, it looks like you have already learned some things about what may and may not work for your family.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 07:30:32 pm »
I'd like to further the newf suggestion.  Kali is good with everyone but protective of us and the house.  She has scared a couple of unsuspecting people but as soon as you let the person into the house she's happy and excited to see or meet them.  There are only a few people she doesn't like and the worst she does is bark at them and she backs off.  She is the best dog with children or other animals though.  She can be a bit of a brat at times but we're still working through the puppy stage.  The picture to the right is of her as a puppy and the one below was a little after her first birthday.  She's now 13 months and 100 lbs which is small even for a female.  They do drool and require frequent grooming, but they're worth the effort.  You can look through the newf board for more stuff on them.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 07:38:32 pm »
They didn't live in OUR house, but my uncle had Saints when I was a kid, and my experience with them was much like what everyone has described their newfies--cuddly, kid-centric, maybe not the easiest puppies, but fabulous, snuggly adults.  And a big, deep bark that will make any miscreant think twice!

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

enuffpaws

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 08:00:35 pm »
I, like everyone else that has posted think it is great that you are doing your homework on breed characteristic s before adopting.
In 20 years we have had 4 dobermans a great dane and a great dane irish wolfhound mix. While both danes and dobermans are high energy puppies, they both settle in nicely in a home environment with the family as they mature. As with any large or giant breed training and socialization is a must, but we have found both breeds to be fantastic with guests and our children's dog savvy friends.(If they weren't dog savvy when they got here they were before they left, which is also a part of large dog ownership.) At the same time the reputation of the doberman, and sheer size and volume of a dane is enough to deter all but the most persistant intruder.
Athough I have never owned a newf or a saint because I do not have time for their grooming requirments, the ones that I have met have been very loving family oriented companions, and apparently good with their children.
As always, the ultimate decision of what breed to bring into your home rests with you, and I am sure that you will find a loving companion that will bring you and your family many years of hapiness. In any case please continue to post and keep us updated, we love hearing from "pet-people" no matter what breed they love.
Dale ;)

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 08:26:35 pm »
I love how everyone's chipping in!  :) Keep 'em coming! And I'll definately keep you all updated on what we end up doing....

Oh - another question, we're not looking to adopt a puppy (I would prefer a young dog that is already housebroken), do you think that it's better that we do adopt a pup opposed to a young dog?   ???

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 08:28:43 pm »
Jack is absolutely adorable on the sofa! That's my kind of dog! How's he on the shedding factor?

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 12:50:06 am »
Well I've been gone all day (Reason why to be posted later), but I've got a Dane, and I've got to tell you, do it right and they're the perfect dog.  However with all the Danes being dumped into rescue with bad temperaments as of late (People breeding them to be mean) I would go with a reputable breeder if you're going for a dog under a year.  My boy is wary of strangers, VERY protective of me, and good with those he knows.  He has the zoomies about once or twice a day, usually outside, and then he sleeps.  They're low maintenance physically (Excersize and grooming wise) high maintenance emotionally (Have to be with you EVERY minute, they don't act like a typical dog).  I'll never NOT have one.  I agree with Stella though, if you're going to go with a giant breed PLEASE make sure your kids KNOW how to act around dogs.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 03:01:41 pm »
Thanks for letting me know what a Fila is, and for putting a photo on :). Certainly doesn't sound like the kind of dog you want as a family pet.

I am of course Newfie biased!

I grew up with German Shepherds and I had my own when my daughters were born, she was fantastic with the girls, and when they were older with their little friends, who came round to play, though some parents were wary of her just because of her breed. Being a GSD she was protective of her family and a good guard dog, but she was well trained, had a great temperament so we never had any problems wiht her.

Once we had our first Newf though our lives changed completely. Here was a breed we could take anywhere with us, and we never had to even think about her not liking something or someone.  Mine love all animals, all people, all children and are very laid back, even the two pups who aren't quite 10 months old yet. People comment on how quiet and well behaved they are for puppies. I have to say though, mine are not protective towards their human family or our home! I am sure they would let anyone into the house without so much as a bark, I can't say for certain as no one has ever tried getting in during the night. The worse thing about living with a Newf is the slime, but that is something you get used to :D, and if they are brushed a few times a week then there shouldn't be any problem with a matted coat.

I wouldn't imagine you would have any problem bring a young adult Newf into a house with children. Unless of course it had been handed into a rescue because it was bulshy.... It had never had any sort of training in those early months so, as far as it was concerned, it was the boss!

Oh dear, I had better shut up, I am just Newf obsessed... Just ignore me ::)

Good luck with choosing the right dog for your family :)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte