Author Topic: Female in Heat  (Read 2521 times)

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
Female in Heat
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:34:53 am »
We had taken Kia to the vet to get spayed about a month ago, but decided against ( along with the vets recommendation) because I wanted to get her stomach tacked at the same point that I spayed her, and they did not do that procedure at my normal vet.
Fast  forward thru a couple of weeks where the spay was put on the back burner due to a disruption of normal life...
Well Kia is now in heat :(  I called and I am waiting back to see if I can get her in this week to get spayed and tacked, but if that can't happen I have a couple of questions since I have never lived with a female dog in heat.   I do know that they can get tempermental, have false pregancy, and that she will attract  every intact dog in town. I do plan on leash walking her only, and make sure that I am with her in the backyard ( fenced) . I know that the 11-14 day is the " most fertile time".
Anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks.....
LA & Gang

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Female in Heat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 09:39:30 am »
Patience.....y ou have about 3 weeks to live through.  She will be fine.....it's just the other beasties that might hang out.  We have a serious leash law in this town and we don't get stray dogs running around, but recently my female scottie was in heat and my male Kuvasz was driving us crazy.    She gets spayed soon.  My scottie is not messy, but I suppose a bigger gal might be.  good luck

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 06:14:03 pm »

First off, I STRONGLY advise against having her spayed during her season. During this time, her uterus is engorged with blood, and complications and bleeding issues are much more common, plus you will have a much larger incision due to the size of the uterus when she is in season.

second, plan to confine her from male dogs for THIRTY DAYS from the time you first saw blood. Many bitches get accidentally bred during the last days of their season. Thirty days makes SURE you are safe.

third, wait 3 to 4 weeks after her season to schedule her spay. This gives her uterus time to return to it's normal anestrus size.

Go ahead and count up on your calendar, make the appointment, and be sure to KEEP IT. ;)

Most bitches in season don't change ALL that much. It can be a bit messy and smelly. I use unscented baby wipes to help keep her clean and fresh. A pair of men's undies tied up with a shoe string, with a sanitary napkin inside can keep spots off your rugs and furniture.

**disclaimer** Penny says DO NOT LAUGH at these photos...LOL**

Tying them up with a string like this helps keep them from slipping.

Hang in there. You'll get through it just fine. :D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline orion5221

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kiahali
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 09:53:22 am »
Thanks for the info, I spoke to the vet yesterday and have set a date in March.  She is getting a little snippy with the male ( all neutered) dogs that she does play with that insist on smelling her.. She has a pretty short fuse to start off with, so I might only let her play with our other dog, who seems to be hearing at least once and hour "Aspen LEAVE" :) poor poor boy.
LA & Gang