Author Topic: How much does breeding & raising dogs actually cost ?  (Read 35720 times)

Offline MissyLou123

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: How much does breeding & raising dogs actually cost ?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 09:50:26 am »
Hahahahah that is toooooooo funny!! ;D

Offline vomdeitrichgiants

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: How much does breeding & raising dogs actually cost ?
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 08:29:01 am »
I breed once per year, if I can.  When I say that, I mean that this year I won't because Elite will be going to Schutzhund trials, and I won't breed her while she is working....doe s that make sense?  Last year I drove over 3 hours to the stud.  Since she was imported, I paid for her initial cost, shipping from Germany, and the 4 hour drive to the airport to get her.  Not to mention import fees, and getting her registered with the AKC.  Then came the vet visits, my purchase of grooming equipment, and all of the other things already mentioned.  I really like the mention of long distance phone bills.  That is soooo true!  I also have money in my website, and smaller things that I would consider "hidden costs"....my particular ones being paper and ink for my printer to make the contracts.  And for every one pup sold, I send out roughly 10 contracts.  Then there is the shipping.  Buyers from me pay their own shipping, and it's not a flat rate to me, its to the airline itself.  But, I buy the crate, collar, and pay for the gas to drive 3 hours to the airport I ship out of.  I also have money invested in a pupppy care package that includes food, vet records, copies of pedigrees, pictures, and other information for the new owners.  Then you have to ask yourself, what is your time worth?  Even if you figure $10 per hour, you might break even.  Thats not only time with mom and the litter, thats also time on the phone, time on the computer, time at the vet,etc....and somewhere in there you manage to get a shower and something to eat!

Breeding is by no means easy or "cost effective"....but if you love the breed, and want to make a difference, the effort is well worth it.  I personally am trying to improve the working line Giant Schnauzer.  Just recently, I spent 3 weeks researching a 5 generation pedigree.  That entailed tons of computer time, phone time, faxing, ....well you name it.  But to me, it's worth it!

Sorry for rambling....I could talk dog all day! lol

I know, a bit much for a newbie....sorr y! :-X