Author Topic: Upgrades to the Boards  (Read 16177 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Upgrades to the Boards
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 07:59:46 pm »
I think I am getting used to it. 
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 09:16:24 pm »
I hate to say it because I know how hard you are working, but I don't like the new layout. I guess I will get used to it, but there are three things about it that are really bugging me:
1. the google ads in the middle of the thread are really bothering me. I don't mind them at the top of the page, the bottom of the page, or even the side of the page, but I think it is really uncool to put them in the middle of the posts. I think they are tacky there and more importantly I think that it REALLY takes away from what BPO is all about. Having big glaring ads in the middle of the material makes it seem like ads are what bpo is about. BPO is about community and I think that most people  (myself included, but I am also thinking of new potential members and such) will be off-put by the ads being in the middle of everything.
2. There need to be dividers. There should be a physical line between each post and maybe even between the board and the side panel. Right now everything is so jumbled together it is hard to read and see who said what. If there were lines like there used to be it would be a whole lot easier to understand.
3. I am frustrated that the main index shows so few posts. I read BPO through the main index. When I get home from work I go to the index to see everything that has been posted since last night. With so few posts showing up on the main page I will miss things because more posts than that happen in a day.
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 10:14:51 pm »
I COMPLETELY agree with shangrila that more messages on the index page is better. I do the same thing, I check in with that page to see what I missed during the day. See what the "hot topics" are, if you will.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 10:16:43 pm »
I think I came in late or not in a day or so?  Looks like lots of hte issues here are already resolved.  I can read the Paw Print Profiles again so I'm happy about that.  Kept getting error messages for a long time.  The ads in the middle of the threads are annoying for sure.  I'm a newbie though so I was not used to much of anything before.
Daphne

mjjensen

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 10:41:07 pm »
 Has anyone noticed that if you click on the "Paw Print Profiles" on the right side of the page that some of the profiles are missing? My "Sam&Max is missing as well as Anky's "Sanity" and Doghealers "Samson".

Kiahpyr

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 10:42:01 pm »
Has anyone noticed that if you click on the "Paw Print Profiles" on the right side of the page that some of the profiles are missing? My "Sam&Max is missing as well as Anky's "Sanity" and Doghealers "Samson".

My girls are missing too! :(

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 10:44:58 pm »
Uh-oh.....I'll tell the guys in charge ASAP!  :o
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 10:47:57 pm »
Yep!
Roxy is missing as well.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006, 11:40:28 pm »
Bear,
I think you are making some great adjustments. The posts are easy to read,you have reduced the extranious white space,and it's loading as fast or faster than ever.
Keep up the good work.
THoM
P.S. The ads are disconcerting in the middle.
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

kristi

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 11:54:35 pm »
I was out all day & just got back on tonight...
I agree with Thom - it is looking better, but I still don't like the ads in the middle.
Is it possible to move them?

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2006, 01:25:45 am »
Thanks for all this help and tips everyone - we're working thru them all one at a time. As you should notice, we've widened the thread column for more content per amount of space. We've added back more topics to the front page - there are 50 but perhaps we can add more. Familiar link placement has been added back. Text size has been changed where appropriate. I suppose we'll add lines - for those of you with stronger monitor contrast it's not needed as you'll see that each post has a different background color but obviously that hasn't been enough. Adjustments to the Paw Prints have been made but there are much bigger ones to come, ones that unfortunately are at the mercy of available time. Regarding the ads; we need some time to at least test this placement. I understand the feeling about them however with the change, we no longer have room for a 468 wide pixel ad, the previous size. Additionally, as consolation, previously there were two ads, at this moment there is now only 1. As for putting them in the side bar, we will try it, but give us time to run this placement test first. Remember that Jaime, Mark and myself need some help in the costs of BPO.

Stryder, with all of the changes, we've reduced the amount of code being transmitted and loaded by almost 60 percent so it should load much faster. Additionally, it's much more compliant and should adapt to all browsers better, win/mac/lin, pda, phone etc.

Anyway, keep the feedback coming - like I said we're working on it. We hope you'll enjoy it more once we've got it all ironed out.

Michael~

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2006, 07:28:19 am »
The board looks very nice, but it is very hard on my little eyes. 

I agree.
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Lyn

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2006, 04:21:36 pm »
It's hard on my eyes too. I don't think it's the colors though.

The font size within the posts are ok. But the main forum I have to squint to read.

I think what's also making it difficult to read is that everything seems like squished together.

After reading for about an hour yesterday I started to get a headache and I just couldn't read anymore. Now it's messing with my addiction. LMAO

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2006, 05:16:03 pm »
I think if the text is a darker color, it will be much easier to read. The font style is great and I like that the background is not white [white seems to have more glare].
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2006, 05:19:18 pm »
I also think that if the font color was darker it would be easier to read. And as Red said I like that their are more posts on the front page. Also I liked it when I could see when a post was new, is there anyway of getting that back? Thanks for all the hard work that you are doing.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)