Author Topic: Marit  (Read 5584 times)

Luvmydanes

Marit
« on: May 20, 2005, 06:06:58 pm »
Hey, I know you have 4 dogs...but I've only seen pictures of Galahad. Do you have pictures of your other dogs you could post so we could see?

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Marit
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 06:31:07 pm »
I am a baaaad parent  :-[ you know how it is when you get a new puppy, just like when you get a new baby lol..... you take a billion pics of him. Hera have pics on here, not many but a couple. Buffy and Zeus have not, sssshhhyyyy dont tell them, I will take pic with dig. camera tomorrow and post here, well if I have any on this comp. I will post now, I know I have of Hera, the other may have to wait until tomorrow.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:01 pm »
awww...Hera is beautiful. Definately post pictures of your other 2 loves...I like looking at the fur babies.

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 06:58:36 pm »
Thanks, she is a sweetheart. And she is being so patient with Galahad, it is funny to see them play, she lets him win the toy when they play tug of war, and she is letting him pull on her ears and tail and lips and when she gets the leash on to go for a walk he loves to take it and try and pull her out. I am sure you have those moments in your house too. I love the pic of Dane looking down at puppy when she is trying to play with him.

Marit

Luvmydanes

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:05:26 pm »
Thanks...she sounds like a really sweetie. Its great when dogs are so patient with the puppies. I know Dane is still a puppy himself, but he is trying so hard to be good for us, and to be patient of her. It is hard I am sure. The picture reminds me of that famous picture of the great dane looking down on that small little dog...Love it!

Kandi

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 10:01:31 am »
I love mastiffs!  If I lived in a place with acreage, I believe I would have a mastiff.  They are so powerful and have the most beautiful faces.  Do you ever take them camping?  Do they like to spend most of the day lying around?  I would think they enjoy the outdoors...and what about swimming?  I've read, or heard, that they are not very active, but would like to know if this is only because some owners do not take them out?  What do you mastiff lovers know about this? Thank you in advance for sharing... :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 12:25:06 pm »
Yes we take our dogs camping, my husband is a big fan of camping, me more of a hotel person lol.... but when we go we bring the dogs, and they love it. we have a golden mix who loves to go out in the water, not to swim but to walk around in it. I would say that the Bullmastiffs are about as active as you make them, if they get used to only be on the couch the whole time, they get used to that too, but they love to do things with you, the OEM's are quite a bit heavier, so they may be a little less active, but it depends what you mean, they love to go camping, go for walks, and basically do whatever you are doing, they are happy as long as they get to be with you no matter what you do. I guess agility is not really an option for the OEM's lol..... I have a hard time seing them in the tunnel or balancing on the dogwalk. But as with all our giant breeds, they can not "over do it" when they are puppies. So with Galahad who is 13 weeks we just take him to the parks for a shorter walk, sit at the playground watching the kids play or sit and watch hubby and the kids fish. Bring him to all the petstores, take him for walks at home and let him run around in the yard. We are starting him in puppy class in a couple of weeks. We have an acre with privacy fence around it, but I really think that the two that are really using all the space out there is my Husky and the golden mix, both Hera and Galahad are using about half the space it seems like, mind you Galahad is yet so young. What are you doing with your babies? Are you working them at all, the dog on the pic. is a beauty, do you have pics of the other too, I would love to see her too.

Marit

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 08:26:05 am »
Neat.  Thanks for the information.  I would think, too, that dogs are very versatile if they become accustomed to an activity from puppyhood.  I once had a malamute mix when I was a child and she didn't like to go for walks or anything.  We brought her into the home when she was older, though, and so she was not used to me and my forest wandering.

Sorry!  That was kind of a silly question now that I think about it, but I am glad to know what you've shared.

When I lived in Seattle in 1993 my boyfriend and I took a kitten home, because he was starving and came to my grandparent's house during Turkey Day.  We brought him everywhere in the car and took him camping and out on the jetty when we fished.  Pretty soon, he was walking with us while in a harness.  He went on two-week trips with us down the Oregon Coast, slept in the tent, etc.  His name was Gizmo and he was our pseudo-dog.  He was really different - even his appearance.  To this day, I have yet to see another kitty with that same Gizmo face.

Gizmo was very angry with us when Greta and Lou joined our family.  I have photos with him sleeping on the bed all curled up with Greta and Lou and he is the only cat they ever knew.

We lost him around 1999.  I think he was poisoned by chemical pesticides, because he was under the shrubbery by the front door when I left for work and passed on by the time I returned that evening.  My cousin sprayed pesticides under the shrubs.  I think Giz went under there and then licked himself.  It was very hard to tell exactly what happened, because he could have died from something else...old age, though he was only about six or seven.

We were heart broken.  I can never have another cat...ever...u nless it looked exactly like him.   :'(
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 09:26:07 pm »
I am so so sorry to hear about Gizmo, it must have been horrible. We have a cat too, her name is Trouble, she is an extremely independent cat and likes to have it her way. I have always had both dogs and cats and think it would be hard to not have them, cats I mean, dogs I could not live without. Maybe you one day find just THAT kitty you have to bring home.

Here are a couple of pics of Buffy and Zeus, we had been playing with the balls and toys out in the yard for quite awhile, so by the time I wanted to take pics they were not at all impressed by that, all they wanted to do was to relax, Buffy even gave me a big yawn as to say "man..... are you never done!!!) Right now they are spread out in the house, Galahad is by my feet, Hera is sleeping in the couch with hubby (yep... he is sleeping too) Buffy is I believe in my bed and Zeus is upstairs in a bed, so all "pooped" out after a warm and sunny day, and I am allllllll alone awake and it is sooooo relaxing lol...

Marit

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 10:41:49 am »
"moonlit" I meant to ask you if you know if there was any Maine Coon in Gizmo, he has quite a bit of cooni look. And nooooo there are no such things as a silly or dumb question.

Marit

dohertyswissy

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 03:18:46 pm »
Marit - All your furbabies are sooo precious!  Hera is just gorgeous!  If I show my hubby that picture, we'll be on our way to getting a mastiff!  He just loves their look.  That will have to wait though, I've got my hands full with Ranger and Tigger!  LOL! I just want to give Zeus a big ol' hug!!  And sweet Buffy too!  Man, I just love EVERYONE'S dogs on this website!!!  They are all soooo cute and lovable!!  We need to have a "Big Paws" convention so we can love on everyone's gentle giants!  We could sell our calendar there too!!!

Heather  :D

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 03:22:40 pm »
Thanks, they are my babies. Buffys ears are sooo crocked so it is funny, they were a bit crocked before too, but after her injury, they just got way worse, now they are both tipping over to the same side lol.....

Marit

nickerbokker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 03:32:15 pm »
OH MY GOD....BUFFY LOOKS JUST LIKE MY UNCLES OLD BUFFY......SHE WAS A GOLDEN RETRIEVER, BUT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE ONE!  I KNOW SHE WAS ONE, CUZ SHE WAS OUR LITTER...ALTHO UGH I DONT REMEMBER THE PUPPIES CUZ I WAS FOUR....AND YES, IT WAS A GARAGE LITTER. 
  ANYWAY, SHE IS NO LONGER WITH US, BUT LOOKS JUST LIKE YOUR BUFFY.  AND ZEUS, HES SOO PERDY! 

I JUST LOVE ALL YOUR DOGGIES!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 07:16:14 pm »
"moonlit" I meant to ask you if you know if there was any Maine Coon in Gizmo, he has quite a bit of cooni look. And nooooo there are no such things as a silly or dumb question.

Marit

A lot of people asked that about Giz...whether he was Maine Coon, but I believe he was a lot of Persian.  He had a dished face and lacked the Maine Coon "tufts" on the ears.  I think he was actually Persian and Manx.  I know Manx are supposed to be really smart cats.  Some of the other kittens from his litter had short tails.  Some of his markings were like a Maine Coon, but his fur was very, very soft and when he was wet he really wasn't as big as he looked with all his fluffy fur dried and pretty.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 08:30:16 pm »
Thanks nicker, my Buffy is some kind of mix, we know it is golden in her, but it was a I guess rescue you can say, she was meant to be put down because of her injuries. She is a sweetheart but is getting a little heavy to say the least lol..... Have to put her on a diet. We have this thing about naming our dogs, we try to stick to names from the mythology, Zeus, Hera, Galahad, Hercules, Feronia, Gambrinus, we have had a lot of them and then we have Buffy hehe the vampire slayer lol....

moontlit, he was a very handsome cat, I work in Maine Coon rescue and he has a lot in common with quite a few of the mixed coonies we work with, but whatever he was, he was a sweetie pie and that really is all that counts, isnt is.

Marit