Author Topic: Stink Free Stink-Finder experience  (Read 4706 times)

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
Stink Free Stink-Finder experience
« on: February 12, 2006, 02:42:29 pm »
I saw this product at the pet store and am wondering if anyone has tried it. Supposedly, you shine this light in a dark room and it will show you where there is urine, feces, vomit, and other things residue.
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Kiahpyr

Re: Stink Free Stink-Finder experience
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 02:45:52 pm »
I haven't used the product. I do know that a black light will show you the same thing. It looks like that's what they are selling. I don't know what the solution stuff is though.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:29 pm »
It's just a blacklight in fancy packaging. A blacklight will show you where bodily fluid residue is though
RIP former BPO

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:07:33 pm »
Hubby had bought a black-light bulb and I tried it but couldn't see a darn thing. That made me think that this light is different somehow.

On a slight tangent -- will I have to wear red glasses to see the 'stuff' like they do on CSI? ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:08:10 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 03:20:23 pm »
I purchased this product. It is a nice battery powered hand-held black light with a regular flashlight on one end (comes in handy for finding poop in the night). I expected the urine to glow a little brighter, but it does glow. You really have to train your eyes to see it. I was able to find stains on the floor and walls but it's harder to find spots on carpet. And the solution that comes with it is just like your average stain and odor remover like nature's miracle or simple solution.
Does that help?
 :)

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 04:03:19 pm »
I'm seeing at their site [way cool, btw] long-wave and short-wave UV lights. Do you know the difference between the 2?

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 06:55:02 pm »
EastJenn,
Wow, it sounds to me like you should pursue a career in a forensics or whatever else kind of technical field you would be happy in.  You sound like you know your stuff and you inspire curiosity with your ideas.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 06:56:13 pm by Smaug »

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 04:49:24 pm »
Jenn, that's really cool.  Have you worked in that kind of job before?  (CSI kind, I mean)

I always love CSI Vegas -- better than the other two. 
Sorry -- off topic!
Sarah

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 07:23:16 pm »
I could just imagine how my carpet would shine.  I probably would be blinded.

Tina
Not only would I probably be blinded I'm not sure if I even want to know...lol! :-\

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 11:08:01 pm »
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A BLACKLIGHT in your bathroom!  ;D It will of course show human urine as well as pet fluids. I thought it would be fun to use the blacklight in the one bathroom my family of four shared. I still have nightmares, knowing there are more splatters and drips than you could imagine.

There are some things you just don't need to know.

Oh, and I have a carpet steam cleaner, and the detergent I use in it also "glows" under the blacklight. So if you didn't know that, you'd think my entire carpet was full of urine since it all glows! It does seem to be a different color (the detergent vs urine), though.

Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina