Author Topic: Puffy Dane Toe  (Read 5145 times)

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
  • Skuy & Ivy - the first meeting!
    • View Profile
Puffy Dane Toe
« on: February 12, 2006, 03:39:18 pm »
Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and I have a 3yr. old Dane and a 2 yr. old Weim.

Our Dane, Skuy, is a rescue and he came to us with some bad allergy problems. His skin was really red, especially on his paws. We changed his food and have taken him to the vet and things have cleared up - except for one toe! We've tried everything. Antibiotics helped curb the infection and he was on an anti-inflammatory that reduced a lot of the swelling. He licks it and I have tried to stop him, but I can't keep him from it all the time.

He's going back to the vet Wednesday and they want to do a biopsy? Does this sound right? It's not oozing, not as swollen, doesn't hurt him. I want the best for my pup, but I don't want them to do things that seem extreme. Help!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Puffy Dane Toe
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 04:08:47 pm »
If it's not healing, I think that would be the next step to find out what is going on.  I wonder if at some point he got something in there and it healed up w/whatever still stuck in there and irritating him.  Foxtails will do that, but they normally cause an abcess.

I hope it is nothing too serious and they can get to the bottom of the puffy toe.

BTW........... .welcome to BPO!  Hope you enjoy it here.   :)

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:43:32 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!

I really hope this gets resolved. We have been on a strict cleaning/medicating schedule for several weeks now and the inprovement has been marginal. I know that the toe itself isn't causing any discomfort, but my constant cleaning it and looking at it is driving him insane! I just hope he doesn't have to wear an E-collar! He wouldn't be able to make it through the door!

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 12:46:33 am »
First of all Welcome! And your pups are beautiful! i dont really have any advice but a friend of mine had a boxer with what sounds like the same kind of condition. She would lick her toes raw from allergies and they would give her childrens benedryl or what ever kind of allergy medication for children they could get and it would help with the itching. She would get boils between her toes as well. Not sure if it is the same kind of thing but you could always ask your vet if it might help ease the allergies. I would also take everyone elses advice and have it checked out just in case! Good luck.
P.S. this place is very addictive!!!!!!
Hope you like it here.
cuttles

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 12:48:28 pm »
Thanks for all the advice! Skuy will be at the vet tomorrow and hopefully we'll get some answers. I really wouldn't be surprised if something's in there - I just hope they can find it and get it out!

I'll try to post some more photos during the course of the week. Those two are too funny together!

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 01:40:01 pm »
Welcome to Big Paws. I have been battling the same condition with my dane since the beginning of 2005 and I'm still trying new stuff. He has had the boils and blood blisters on his back feet, but has also had skin and ear infections as well. He has been on antibiotics several times and is now on Soloxin for Hypothyroidism, but is still having the issues with his feet. My vet finally referred us to a Vet Allergist and Dermatologist and we did a consultation. She recommended a biopsy as well, but I want to try changing food, foot soaks and other stuff before we go forward with that.

I am actually in Atlanta as well. Dr. Mary Schick (in Roswell, GA) was the Derm Vet we were referred to and I've heard good things about her if you are going forward with the biopsy and treatment. Just to give you a heads up, the cost estimate was $850-$1100 for the biopsy test. This is before treatment and medication and after the $96 consultation. And you will have to collar you dog for a week before so they can get an unaltered sample for the test. Oreo got a "bite" collar which is a bit different than the E-collar, but he absolutely hates it. It basically holds his neck stiff and he has balance problems with it on. He can't walk down stairs, turn around or sit down with it on so I only use it for 1/2 hour periods when I catch him licking.

Let me know how Skuy's condition progresses. Maybe we can share some info and resolve the problem.

Jason

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 03:24:28 pm »
Wow, Jason! Everything you described sounds very familar. I spoke with my vet today and they are going to do a punch biopsy tomorrow morning. Xrays were suggested, but the Dr. wants to have another look at it in the morning before they are deemed necessary. We've tried all kinds of things, too. We started with three weeks of antibiotics, an anti-imflammatory, foot soaks with epsom salts and daily cleanings. That stuff helped out a good bit but the problem hasn't gone away. We changed his food as soon as we got him - he was eating Alpo (poor dude!). That, and getting him off the patio he was confined to, helped out a ton! He's got some callouses on his elbows and tummy, but the skin and feet conditions improved dramatically!

We definitely should talk more. I'm fairly new to Dane ownership, but have had dogs all my life.

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 11:02:20 am »
That definitely sounds like an option. I am so anxious to get the biopsy results back. If the biopsy doesn't specify what the problem is I'll be sure to mention the cream to see if she knows what I am talking about.

I posted another picture of him that was taken when we first brought him home and you can see what bad shape his skin was in. All of that redness is long gone and his fur has grown back. I really hope he gets better soon.

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 04:28:17 pm »
Here's an update:

The vet called me and said that, after having a really good, up-close look at the toe, the needed to to xrays and they would call me back. It seems that the nail had fractured over the past day or so and the split went into the nail bed. It's bad. So bad, in fact, that his poor toe is being amputated! I bawled. My poor, sweet boy! They're sending the toe to a lab to have it tested so we can find out exactly what happened and if it's something that will require extended care. I feel awful.  :'(

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 10:12:39 pm »
You guys are so sweet! I was pleasantly surprised when I came home from work today to see my sweet ol' Dane at the door! He did the same for my husband who got home before me! I couldn't believe that he did it! AND he went down the steps to pee and walked to the end of the driveway! His morale has definitely improved. I think he's gonna make it! ;D

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 09:40:38 am »
Good to hear Skuy is doing well again. I'm sure he is happy to be back home with the family.
Jason