Author Topic: question about dane growth chart  (Read 4081 times)

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
question about dane growth chart
« on: February 12, 2006, 05:06:01 pm »
Spike is 13mths old and he is 130-135 somewhere in there and from what I hear that is about right since he will keep gaining weight till he is about 3 years old but when I looked up some charts for height and he is already about 38" at the shoulders maybe 39 he was not holding still (he is afraid  of the tape measure) and I heard that he will probably keep getting taller till he is about 18-19 mths and he grows about an inch a month so my question is is he going to be overly tall? or am I thinking about this all wrong cause I only saw a chart for up to 12 mths. He is already a little more that chest high on me and I am 5'2" and I stood him next to a dane I saw when we went to get him groomed and it was like 5 or 6 years old and he was way bigger. Sorry if I rambled. I have not been on the internet in a looooong time and I have been wondering about this I asked the vet and she said he was coming along normal.

Rachael and Spike

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: question about dane growth chart
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
Sounds to me like you have a seriously tall dane on your hands! Wow! :o I'd love to see some photos of that guy! Who knows for sure whether he will get taller, but if he does you better call Guinness! I don't know what the record is... but... over 38 inches sounds pretty amazing! :D

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 06:09:56 pm »
I just remeasured him to make sure I was right and he is acutally 36" but I guess 2 inches does not really make that big of a diffrence. He is very tall at least he seems so to me I am kind of short and another 4-5 inches and he would come up shoulders to me. but he is the most gentle dog I have ever had unless he is playing with Pierre (boyfriend) but he si so clumsy he actually gets his own legs tangled.

Rachael and Spike

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 08:30:27 pm »
Actually, that's about average.  Not too much or too little.  Yes, he'll grow for quite some time but he should be slowing down now.  He'll probably have one more "spurt" and then stop altogether.  Some danes are massive and others are smallish.  There's 2 types of danes.  one is greyhound-y...long, lean, and tends to be shorter.  The other is more mastif-y...tall, broad, square and tend to be heavier. 

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:14:59 am »
Wow he sure sounds like a big guy for sure! I dont really have any advice on size but I would sure like to see some pics. Welcome to BPO.
cuttles

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 02:21:28 pm »
Thanks for the info. I have been wondering about this for awhile. I think he is more mastiffy he is very muscular not giant muscles yet but he is starting to look blocky in the shoulders and chest. Someone once told me he looks more like a euro dane he has very droopy lips and is kind of blocky like I said and his ears are not cropped I am not sure if that was what made them say euro.But I have seen pics of euro danes and he does look more like them then some of the american breed danes I have seen.

Rachael and Spike

Blair

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:30:59 pm »
  There's 2 types of danes.  one is greyhound-y...long, lean, and tends to be shorter.  The other is more mastif-y...tall, broad, square and tend to be heavier. 

Grey is in between he is thin but tall...nothing mastiffy about that boy LOL, but he did get called a Greyhound a lot as a puppy.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 02:47:16 pm »
All Danes grow differently, that's why the growth charts are JUST GUIDELINES.  Some get their height growth out of the way right away, while others grow slowly past two years old.  You never know what you'll end up with until your done, and there's nothing you can do to change it. 

I know I'm kind of going to be a downer here.  It's just a pet peeve of mine when people brag about how big their Danes are.  You had nothing to do with your dog growing to the size he did.  Also it's UNHEALTHY for a Dane to be Ginormous.  I'm biased because I know all the problems Moni's had with poor Tenchi and how he has to have Asprin before he can even go out and play because of his joints.  When Nee and Tench go out together we're constantly saying "No the black one isnt' his baby.  He's the size a Dane is SUPPOSED to be.  The white one has health issues because he's so big", but no one cares.  This is why I wouldn't post Sanity's size on the "How big is your Dane" thread.  I get so excited to meet a fellow Dane lover, and then it all goes downhill when the first thing they want to know is "How big is yours?", and if mine is bigger they get all offended, or if he's smaller they get all smug and say (For example) "Well Thor is 190 pounds!"  What?  Do you want a cookie? 

There arent' really two "Types" of Danes.  Every breeder of Danes has a different way of adhering to the standard.  Yes there has been a sterotype that American Danes are taller and leaner and European Danes are heavier, stockier and more mastiffy, but you can find either type on either side of the pond.  EVERY breeder of EVERY breed of dog has a type, and certain characteristic s they want to enhance.  Sanity has lots of Euro in his blood.  He's VERY stocky, but he has two litter mates that are leaner, and one, is up around 38-40 inches if I remember correctly.  It's a crap shoot what you're going to get. 

OK why was I typing this again?  SEE KIDS?!?!?!  This is why you should never do drugs!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Blair

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 02:52:48 pm »
Ang I wasnt trying to brag about Grey  :-[ I honestly wished he was done growing, he is 36 in and I would perfer if he didnt grow anymore. Only I wish is that Grey would put on more weight, he has put on some weight but he is still so thin. I hope you didnt take my post as bragging cause I wasnt.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 02:56:40 pm »
I don't think anyone on this site is "bragging" about their danes' size. There is nothing wrong with talking about how big everyone's dog is, I think it's very educational. Obviously we all love big dogs or we wouldn't be on this website.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 02:58:39 pm »
Ang I wasnt trying to brag about Grey  :-[ I honestly wished he was done growing, he is 36 in and I would perfer if he didnt grow anymore. Only I wish is that Grey would put on more weight, he has put on some weight but he is still so thin. I hope you didnt take my post as bragging cause I wasnt.

NO Honey of course not!  You've even told me you wish he'd stop!  I'm talking about the people to whom size is the first/only thing that matters.  The people who breed the Texas/Goliath/Dino Danes that live to be 5 years old because their hearts can't keep up with themselves, or who get put down because their joints can't support their bodies.  The people who ALL they want to talk about is their dog's size, like it's an accomplishment .  I know you're not like that :)

Blair

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 03:00:46 pm »
I think he listened to me too Ang, cause he has been the same height now for awhile...what a good boy to listen to his Mommy  :D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 03:01:12 pm »
I don't think anyone on this site is "bragging" about their danes' size. There is nothing wrong with talking about how big everyone's dog is, I think it's very educational. Obviously we all love big dogs or we wouldn't be on this website.

Yes, but we talk about ALL aspects of our Big Paws.  Their awesome personalities, their drool, ect.  We don't dwell on how big they are.

Offline spikesmom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 06:25:22 pm »
I hope I did not start anything or have people think I was bragging I was just wondering I have never had a giant breed before the biggest dog I ever had was a german shepard. I was starting to think Spike was going to keep growing untill we were eye to eye. I would be perfectly happy if he stopped getting taller now too. But if he does he does there is nothing I can do about it either way. I think he is huge cause he is the one who pushs me out of bed at night but I have seen pics of Danes much much bigger than him. And thought oh god if he can roll me out of bed or push me off the couch now if he got that big he would own the house and I would have to sleep on the floor.
Again sorry if I mispoke
Rachael and Spike

will

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:06 pm »

Yes, but we talk about ALL aspects of our Big Paws.  Their awesome personalities, their drool, ect.  We don't dwell on how big they are.

off topic:
exactly.  ALL aspects.  However it would, of course, be extremely confusing and close to impossible to have only one continuous discussion on ALL the aspects of our Big Paws.  So we have what is called a forum that is broken down into MULTIPLE discussions in order to cover each aspect individually.
so what if some members "dwell" on a certain aspect?  it is an aspect of our beloved friends that isn't going to go away. 

however this has nothing to do with the help that Rachael was asking for.  If you don't like the discussion.  don't post in it.

anyways back on topic:
welcome to BPO Rachael!
Our rescued Dane and the Danes we've fostered have varied in size. We've had the Mastiffy Meaty types and the Greyhound lanky ones.  Anywhere from 120 lbs 36 inches wither height to 140 lbs and 32 inches.
It is hard to say exactly what to expect, but I would agree with what cricket36580 posted.

One thing you might want to think about is getting another bed!  We are sleeping on two futons pushed together right now and that's barely enough room.  I have found that Danes are very loving and respectful (although they might not realize at times just how big they are) 

Good Luck and keep us posted!