Author Topic: Hot spots  (Read 1946 times)

Offline chantaje

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Hot spots
« on: February 14, 2006, 04:46:59 pm »
Neo developed another huge hot spot on his left hip.  This is the second time he's been put on antibiotics in the last 6 months for hot spots.  The vet said that it is common in double coated dogs and if he is prone to them we'll have to keep his coat clipped short.  Does anyone have cures for hot spots so he could get his beautiful coat back?  I've been adding olive oil to his food on the advice from a friend who has a dane with very dry skin.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hot spots
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:31:03 pm »
Benedryl works very well for hot spots...it stops the itching which makes the dog scratch less so the spot can heal. 

Zero my Central Asian got them when it was humid but now I know why and how he gets them so if we are going swimming on a humid day I give him some benedryl (1mg per pound of dog)

Hot spots can also be caused by an allergen in the air, detergents, something you spray in the air or something your dog is lying on as well as diet

Also...keep the area clean and dry and then use the regular listerine ( golden color one) and you can spray it on there...that will clear it up...gold bond poweder does the same...too

Good Luck
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka