Author Topic: Cost of Having a Great Dane  (Read 17781 times)

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of Having a Great Dane
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 09:35:56 am »
If you are talking about monetary cost, I read an article about a study of the costliest breeds over their life span. Great Danes were at the top of the list. As far as I remember though, this study included everything from health care, food, toys, accessories, auto choice, etc.
From personal experience, I can tell you gastric bypass surgery is expensive ($3,000 give or take). My dane also became anemic and needed a blood transfusion and 4 night stay at a hospital and that exceeded the cost of the bypass surgery. Iclude antibiotics and other medication (they are not covered under YOUR health insurance like your children), and health problems can get expensive. Not that ALL Danes have health issues, but you do have to be prepared in a worst case scenario.
That being said, I wouldn't trade my Oreo for all the gold in Fort Knox. The emotional reward you get from a dane is unmatched by any other pet. Of course, I may be biased. ;)

Jason

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 09:44:52 am »
Quote:
That being said, I wouldn't trade my Oreo for all the gold in Fort Knox. The emotional reward you get from a dane is unmatched by any other pet. Of course, I may be biased.

Jason

That is so true! and I think my Collie mix has cost me more money in vet visits than both my Danes ever did but then Kayzer is only four months old so Im not sure what to expect. And I assure you that they are worth every penny and every heartache they cause us.
cuttles

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 10:12:17 am »

LMAO!!!  This is way to true!  If you get a Dane invest in some Vaseline to dislodge his GIANT head from your butt!!  It is like having another child...I can't go to the bathroom without Tonka trying to dig his way under the door!
Also, I have a 4 yr old and a newborn and he is wonderful with both!  My daughter is his playmate and he thinks my son is his puppy.  I have never had such a gentle loving dog!

I've never heard a truer statement about a dog!!  I've only had Boo since September but she is a constant companion.  If you don't want a dog that WILL find a way into the bathroom with you (doesn't matter what you're doing in there) then you may not want a Dane.  And not to be disgusting, but if you don't want a dog who is going to try and sit on your lap WHILE you're on the toilet, then you don't want a Dane!!!  They want to be with you every minute of every day no matter what.  I walk from room to room putting clothes away or cleaning and picking up and she will follow me every where.  I feel bad b/c as soon as she lays down, I'm off to another place in the house and she jumps right up and comes along.  I don't know if every Dane does this but Boo gets the "zoomies" sometimes and runs full bore through the house around the coffee table, around the dining room table and just keeps going.  Probably not a good idea to have breakables around with a giant dog doing that  ;D  But like everyone else has already said, I wouldn't trade her for anything.  She knows when I need a kiss or just need someone to hug.  She's the most loving animal I have every been around.  There isn't much that can compare to a Dane.  OH and also be prepared for a million questions every where you go.  Good luck and I know you'll find a Dane that will absolutely steal your heart!! ;)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 11:28:04 am »

LMAO!!!  This is way to true!  If you get a Dane invest in some Vaseline to dislodge his GIANT head from your butt!!  It is like having another child...I can't go to the bathroom without Tonka trying to dig his way under the door!
Also, I have a 4 yr old and a newborn and he is wonderful with both!  My daughter is his playmate and he thinks my son is his puppy.  I have never had such a gentle loving dog!

I've never heard a truer statement about a dog!!  I've only had Boo since September but she is a constant companion.  If you don't want a dog that WILL find a way into the bathroom with you (doesn't matter what you're doing in there) then you may not want a Dane.  And not to be disgusting, but if you don't want a dog who is going to try and sit on your lap WHILE you're on the toilet, then you don't want a Dane!!!  They want to be with you every minute of every day no matter what.  I walk from room to room putting clothes away or cleaning and picking up and she will follow me every where.  I feel bad b/c as soon as she lays down, I'm off to another place in the house and she jumps right up and comes along.  I don't know if every Dane does this but Boo gets the "zoomies" sometimes and runs full bore through the house around the coffee table, around the dining room table and just keeps going.  Probably not a good idea to have breakables around with a giant dog doing that  ;D  But like everyone else has already said, I wouldn't trade her for anything.  She knows when I need a kiss or just need someone to hug.  She's the most loving animal I have every been around.  There isn't much that can compare to a Dane.  OH and also be prepared for a million questions every where you go.  Good luck and I know you'll find a Dane that will absolutely steal your heart!! ;)
That is hilarious, Kayzer does the exact same things and if he gets into the bathroom while I am taking a shower,my husband thinks its funny to let him in!!! He has figured out how to open the shower doors. If he cant get in he sits at the door whining till I am done. They need to be near you at all times. I love it! I wouldnt trade him for the world!
cuttles

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Get to know us! - Sarah & Eric
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 12:49:53 pm »
i had my date w/the dane last night, my first time ever, and...(drumroll please) I LOOOOOVE HIM;D :) ;D absolutely & completely! By the time we (my husband, 5 year old son and I) came home, I think I had said, "I really like that dog" 10 times (it was a 15 minute drive).  I know I made the same statement five times before bed and this morning to my husband as we got ready for work.  I even told him that when the owner calls him, he needs to make it VERY clear that I WANT DEXTER! That's his name...let me tell you about our wonderful date last night.

Here are his stats: Dexter's black with a white chest (tuxedo) w/some white on his paws.  He's 2 and his last visit to the vet was about 4 months ago and everything looks good (the owners will provide vet records).  He will be going to the groomers tomorrow.  He is a full breed, but no papers (papers, shmapers, who cares!) and we can visit the breeder (about 20 mins away from our home) and ask questions about his parents.  His momma's from San Diego and his pop is from here (Sacramento) because the breeders wanted to make an extra precaution of not inbreeding.

Anyhow, Linda repeatedly stated that Dexter is really Gary's dog but she knew his facial expressions to the T.  She mentioned that he yawns when he gets stressed, he makes pouty faces when he gets scared and puts his head down the instant she raises her voice at him so she's careful of raising her voice even in general.  He gives hugs & kisses on command only because Gary likes them, but Linda doesn't.  He can rough house with Gary, but knows to stop anytime the second he's around Linda.  They say he's very careful with his tail now, because at one point he had cut it on something, so even though he may still hit the wall, he will hit it once and move a little and aware of his surroundings.  He grew up with kids (there was a little girl there that was about my son's age) and a small cockapoo; very friendly w/people, but still protective of "his" kids when they're out.  He doesn't drool, mainly kept his mouth shut the whole time we were together, but of course he does shed.  NO DROOL!!  :P He sleeps on a memory foam pad, loves stuffed animals and toys and as you've all mentioned already, will follow you EVERYWHERE.  Linda & Gary are very similar to how my husband and I are - I think Dexter is perfect! My husband and I even took him out for a short walk last night, I was able to walk him a short distance and he was fine.  I think we would have to leash train him a little better to my size and pace (he's used to Gary who is about 6' tall, I am 5' and very light) but right now I am also 5 months pregnant and he listened to my commands prefectly.  I hope they choose us to be his next family.  They are letting him go because they are moving and Gary has a neck injury and won't really be able to play with him as much as they normally do.  They're very torn about giving him up, but they know it's not fair to keep him under these circumstances.  My husband said he didn't even look at their kids coz he knows how hard it must be for them.

So, that's what happened last night.  I'm already thinking of things to get him and where to put his bed and toys.  Of course, still holding a little back in case we don't get to have him.....keep your fingers crossed!
"If you want the best seat in the house ... move the dog"

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 12:59:58 pm »
That's AWESOME!!!! :D I hope it all works out!!! YAY!!!! ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 03:40:48 pm »
I'm glad everything went so well for you!  I do want to clarify some things though, just to make sure.  :)

He is a full breed, but no papers (papers, shmapers, who cares!) and we can visit the breeder (about 20 mins away from our home) and ask questions about his parents.  His momma's from San Diego and his pop is from here (Sacramento) because the breeders wanted to make an extra precaution of not inbreeding. 
When you see the breeder try and get a pedigree.  Just because they live a ways apart doesn't mean they're not related :)  Only reason I even suggest this is that in breeding if done by an inexperienced breeder can double up on herditary defects, and you don't want to have to deal with that. 

He doesn't drool, mainly kept his mouth shut the whole time we were together, but of course he does shed.  NO DROOL!!  :P
OK Danes, even ones that don't drool, have something we like to call bucket lips, whereby, they take a drink and a TON of water gets stored in their lips and they fling it all over the house.  Also a dog that doesn't drool when calm might get slingers when they're playing, excited, stressed, hungry or tired.

This sounds promising for you and if he's the right dog for your family I hope you get him! :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 05:25:50 pm »

When you see the breeder try and get a pedigree. Just because they live a ways apart doesn't mean they're not related :) Only reason I even suggest this is that in breeding if done by an inexperienced breeder can double up on herditary defects, and you don't want to have to deal with that.

quote]

Good to know.  I have no clue when it comes to breeders and breeding and that whole world is completely alien to me.  What do you mean by "getting the pedigree"? I don't know how experienced (or inexperienced) they were, I just know that Dexter's current owners had nothing but great things to say about them and encouraged us to go visit them.

Our last dane didn't have the drool, but she had major eye boogers. She was famous for getting into the sugar bowl even if it was on top of the fridge - she'd stand on her back legs, front legs on the front of the fridge and pick up the sugar bowl in her mouth, gently lower it to the floor and clean it out, leaving the spoon in the dish. She also ate soap. She was extremely protective of her kids and loved other animals. She'd play mom to the baby goats that arrived every spring.

How well he follows instructions, I'm not sure, but Dexter's current parents raised him to not beg for food at the table or go hunting for treats/snacks.  They keep his treat container on the floor in plain site and he's never gotten into it, but he's also not left unsupervised for long periods of time, so they said that he's probably capable of it, they just don't give him the opportunity.  That's pretty cute though how your dane would clean out the sugar bowl!  :D

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 07:06:06 pm »
I think it sounds like a good match. If you love him already then he will love you also. Dont' worry too much about blood lines, I have a rescue with no idea what her blood lines are and don't care. Mine _ I have 2 danes- are both black with white on their chest and some on their paws. Not even close to show quality, but the loves of my life none the less. when will you find out if you get him? Let us know how it is going. Good luck.
Terri

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 07:16:57 pm »
Yay I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!
Hope everything works out for you! Sounds to me like you will be a perfect mommy for Dexter.
cuttles

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 07:33:32 pm »
I think it sounds like a good match. If you love him already then he will love you also....when will you find out if you get him? Let us know how it is going. Good luck.
Terri

Thanks!  :-* I haven't been able to stop thinking about him today.  I really hope we get him, he's just a perfect fit into our little family and our different personalities and needs.  Well, Dexter's current dad will call my husband either today or tomorrow to give him the info on the breeders.  We mainly want to contact them to ask about their health so we're not so blind going into this.  So....hopefull y by the end of the weekend, I'll have some good news!  :)

GR8DAME

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 09:42:34 am »
I think it sounds like a good match. If you love him already then he will love you also. Dont' worry too much about blood lines, I have a rescue with no idea what her blood lines are and don't care. Mine _ I have 2 danes- are both black with white on their chest and some on their paws. Not even close to show quality, but the loves of my life none the less. when will you find out if you get him? Let us know how it is going. Good luck.
Terri

If you have the opportunity to research the bloodlines, do so. To do otherwise would be foolish, as this post is about the cost of giant ownership and some of the inherent problems with this breed can run in lines (hip dysplasia, Von Willibrants for example) and can be quite expensive. I have one breeder dane that I was able to research, and he is 4 and very healthy structurally and in general. I also have a rescue dane mix that I know nothing about that has had nothing but problems. He is now 13 months old and I have spent hundreds of dollars at vets because he was misdiagnosed with HOD, that turned out to be panosteoitis and some hip dysplagia.
I am not saying that your research should make the decision of whether to get this guy or not for you, and I am not saying that I love my problem child less because Of his problems. I am saying that if you have the opportunity to check him out genetically, you can at least be prepared for whatever may come in the future. Just my 2 cents.
Stella

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006, 12:41:43 pm »
We got him!  ;D :D I was moping around Friday night because I got this feeling that the family wouldn't chose us...my husband told me to give the owners a call to just see how they thought about us and if we even had a chance.  I got voicemail, left a message and never got a call back.  Saturday morning (as my prego cravings kicked in and sent my husband to store for bananas and milk), he called the owners and came home with good news for me.  Dexter would be brought to the groomers and we can pick him up anytime after 3pm.  We picked him up at 4 and went to the petstore to pick up a few necessities.  We changed his name to "Dinger" after the mascot of the Sacramento Rivercats - my husband proposed between innings on the field.  Anyhow, we ended up leaving the store almost 2 hours later and very exhausted.  The amount of people that approached us to pet him or ask questions about him was very overwhelming for me.  I guess you can warn a girl only so much, but I didn't get the full effect until it actually happened. 

That night, we set up his bed in my son's room (the bottom of his bunk bed), but Dinger was crying.  My husband ended up laying on the floor with him all night.  By Dinger's second night he was fine.   

He follows my husband everywhere and if he's not around, then he follows me.  He rough houses w/my husband and not with me  :).  I am able to walk him just fine and he knows his basic commands which is awesome.  At one point, my husband did raise his voice to him, which he pouted for about half an hour ignoring my husband.  :D This morning I found him sleeping on the sofa and when I called him, he came but with his head down.  He is very much like a kid.  I'm sure I will have many questions still and as soon as I get my uplink chord thingy to work, I'll upload some photos...Thank s all for your input and advice.    :-*

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 02:06:18 pm »
Yay!!!! I am so happy for you! Yes, taking a Dane out in public can be very overwhelming! I try to be very patient with people and not get sick of them, because Great Danes really are quite a sight and people can't help but be in awe of their beauty!
I can't wait to see pictures of your new boy!  :D
Congratulation s!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 04:03:30 pm »
That is such great news!  Congrats!  I love it when a big guy gets rescued and lands in his forever home!  Cowboy and Chester send drools and tail wags to their new BPO virtually buddy!!!