Author Topic: Cost of Having a Great Dane  (Read 17780 times)

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Get to know us! - Sarah & Eric
Cost of Having a Great Dane
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:35 pm »
Doing homework on GDs (looking for a family companion) and seems like danes can be costly heathwise....h ow true is that?
"If you want the best seat in the house ... move the dog"

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of Having a Great Dane
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:03:07 pm »
everything gos by pounds!! Just had the vet here this week because Shyla had a rash, thinking mange I freaked out. Not mange but allergy, any ways it cost me 327.00 for one house call!! Not her fault, but the more a dog weight the higher the price for meds.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:04:44 pm »
I think the rule of thumb is that any of the giants can be costly to feed, medicate and take care of.  It's just a fact of life.  I have Newfs, not Danes, but I think no matter what the issue is, it's all in relation to size.  Food, more.  Medications, more.  Vet visits, more.

It helps if you get a healthy dog to start with, but there are just some realities to have to accept. 

Good for you that you are doing your homework before you pick up a pup.  Once he/she has your heart, you'll hock the house to pay for puppy toys! ;D ;D ;D

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:14:17 pm »
Hmm....I guess I didn't ask the right question...um. . ::) i understand that dogs will be dogs, some go to the vet more often than others big or small, but with Danes in general, are they more prone to health issues than say a Newf or Rottie? I read somewhere that they were, so I figured I'd ask ya'll.  ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:24:44 pm »
Right....you need a Dane person to answer that question!  Can't help at all!  Sorry! :P

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 02:38:45 pm »
I have 2 danes now and don't think they have had any more health problems than the labs I used to have. I do think breeding is very important to their health tho.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 02:47:06 pm »
I think if they are on a really great diet and you give them lots of love, I think they are just as healthy as any other dog. The hardest part with all the danes I have cared for was keeping weight on them.
But like others have mentioned, once they become ill it can be expensive for meds since they weigh a lot. But that's with any big dog. Oddly I have met a lot of danes who have had heartworms, but that is very preventable.

I say go for it! Their personalities are so awesome they make everything worth it! They are amazing creatures. ;D True family members.

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 03:16:16 pm »
That's alot of help, thanks.  Any aggressive traits I should be concerned about? They are generally friendly right? I can have friends and family over and not worry about having to put the dane outside? My son can have his friends over and they'll be ok? I've had dogs before, so I know to watch the kids..etc. 

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 03:55:58 pm »
You have never been around a Dane have you? They love company. Small people are their favorite's. The only thing you have to worry about is their drooling all over the company really. Just hand everyone a dish towel when they arrive and they will love your dogs!!!

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 04:45:47 pm »
 ;D
We have had our 5yo rescued Dane, Star, for a few months, so this is my warning for prospective owners.

Don't get a Dane if you don't like:
constant gentle attention-seeking
adorable dog faces encouraging you to stop whatever you're doing and play
large dogs leaning/sitting on you, just to try to get a little bit closer to you
licks on any exposed body part
drool (although Star really doesn't drool much)
dog hair (though less shedding than my Akita/chow mix)

My son (6 years old) says he doesn't like Star because... she licks him. However, Star loves my son because he leaves a food trail behind him. No wonder she tries to lick him!

Hope this helps!
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 05:14:07 pm »
 ;D you guys are getting me excited about this...more excited than i thought i'd be. I've never been around a dane and the biggest dog that I've been around was my husband's pit/st. bernard (who's no longer with us) and he was only about 100 lbs.  we'll be checking out a 2 year old, black, dane today and I didnt know what to expect.  any more info i should know?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 06:00:56 pm »
;D you guys are getting me excited about this...more excited than i thought i'd be. I've never been around a dane and the biggest dog that I've been around was my husband's pit/st. bernard (who's no longer with us) and he was only about 100 lbs.  we'll be checking out a 2 year old, black, dane today and I didnt know what to expect.  any more info i should know?
To know a dane is to love a dane! You should be excited! :D
Remember that some danes are "only" 100lbs too, and females can even can be a little smaller. They range in size quite a bit. You'll see once you go meet a few different ones. And prepare to be leaned upon!
Seriously, I think if your heart is open for a big dog, you will find that the dane's heart is open even more!  :D Make sure and tell us how it goes with the one you're gonna meet!!!

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 06:04:26 pm »
I'm excited for you!!!!!!!!!! You will never love a dog the same again. Its like having a child, your heart is taken over and will be a big dog lover forever. Please let us know how the meeting went. I'm so happy for you.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 10:46:33 pm »
Spend as much time around Danes as you possibly can.  IN A HOUSE!  (I'm kind of negative sometimes because I work in Dane rescue and see alot of people dump off their Dane's because they didn't really think it through).  Seeing a 160 pound dog in the dog park is one thing, seeing it in your house is another.  I love my baby, but he's constantly knocking things over with his big butt, not to mention the lethal tail.  And you can't stop suddenly ever because you'll be prying a big blocky head out of your bum.  They're the world's worst tailgaters, they won't leave you alone for a second.  They are SOOOOOO sensitive so be very careful with their feelings.  They do all have different personalities though.  I saw you asked if they were all friendly.  Some are.  Some aren't.  My boy is stand offish with strangers.  Usually he'll warm up in about 15-30 minutes, sometimes not.  Some Danes just want nothing to do with strangers.  They're a very high maintanance breed emotionally. 

If you have a Great Dane, you don't have a dog, you have a Dane, and there's no other way I can explain it.  No other breed can prepare you for this one.  best thing to do is research, research, research (I can give you a bunch of links if you're interested), and then after thinking about ALL the pros and cons, figure out if a Dane will fit with your family, and then take the plunge.  :)  Where do you live?  Maybe you're close enough to someone around here that you can meet their baby! 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 04:24:39 am »
Spend as much time around Danes as you possibly can.  IN A HOUSE!  (I'm kind of negative sometimes because I work in Dane rescue and see alot of people dump off their Dane's because they didn't really think it through).  Seeing a 160 pound dog in the dog park is one thing, seeing it in your house is another.  I love my baby, but he's constantly knocking things over with his big butt, not to mention the lethal tail.  And you can't stop suddenly ever because you'll be prying a big blocky head out of your bum.  They're the world's worst tailgaters, they won't leave you alone for a second.  They are SOOOOOO sensitive so be very careful with their feelings.  They do all have different personalities though.  I saw you asked if they were all friendly.  Some are.  Some aren't.  My boy is stand offish with strangers.  Usually he'll warm up in about 15-30 minutes, sometimes not.  Some Danes just want nothing to do with strangers.  They're a very high maintanance breed emotionally. 

If you have a Great Dane, you don't have a dog, you have a Dane, and there's no other way I can explain it.  No other breed can prepare you for this one.  best thing to do is research, research, research (I can give you a bunch of links if you're interested), and then after thinking about ALL the pros and cons, figure out if a Dane will fit with your family, and then take the plunge.  :)  Where do you live?  Maybe you're close enough to someone around here that you can meet their baby! 

LMAO!!!  This is way to true!  If you get a Dane invest in some Vaseline to dislodge his GIANT head from your butt!!  It is like having another child...I can't go to the bathroom without Tonka trying to dig his way under the door!
Also, I have a 4 yr old and a newborn and he is wonderful with both!  My daughter is his playmate and he thinks my son is his puppy.  I have never had such a gentle loving dog!
I am kind of a big deal!