Author Topic: Bumps on back?????  (Read 1826 times)

EllieAndBlu

Bumps on back?????
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:03:28 pm »
Greetings,

I am hoping y'all will be able to advise me on my boy. He is a 6 year old weimaraner that was rescued 2 months ago....

Riley spent the weekend at doggy daycare where he was given a bath on Sunday....well the beginning of this week I noticed some bumps on his back and sides... by mid-week they seemed to have gotten worse... so last night and wednesday night i gave him a dose of benadryl as he has also been scratching a lot... since giving him the benadryl, the improvement has been minimal. I also noticed the morning after his first benadryl dose that the top of his back is now scabby in addition to the bumps.

Any idea what could be causing this? does it sound like an allergic reaction? Hives?

I made a vet appt for monday (they were booked on Sat.) but still have the whole weekend to worrry about the big guy...

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rachel
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 01:12:10 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Bumps on back?????
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:26:34 pm »
It does sound like an allergic reaction...pro bably to the soap,(maybe he wasn't rinsed well enough?) or maybe something else at the doggy day care.  Benadryl is a good place to start but it is good that you are checking with the vet.  Are you adding any oil (fish oil, flax seed oil, "DreamCoat") to his food?  That seems to help a lot with the itching if you use it all the time.  It won't help, though, if it it's allergy based.

Let us know what the vet says! ;)

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:19:51 pm »
Max had a reaction to a soap like that once when he was a puppy.

Benadryl didn't help him either, but hydrocortisone topical ointment did.  Maybe you could try just little of that in a spot where he can't lick it off, and see if it helps with Riley's itching? 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 02:52:47 pm by NoDogNow »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:36:31 pm »
The big guy went to the vet Monday... she said it appears like an alergic reaction to something.... probably the bath or something else at doggy daycare.... she put him on an antibiotic to prevent infection from the scratching raw Riley did in some places.... and also gave me a medicated shampoo to use on him....which I did last night. The big sinsitive-skinned guy is doing much better now.

Thanks for your concern and input!

Rachel
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:38:16 pm by EllieAndBlu »