Author Topic: Newfs and Kitties  (Read 4611 times)

Offline kuippo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newfs and Kitties
« on: February 16, 2006, 05:31:05 pm »
Do Your newfs get along with cats and kittens?

any pictures of the both playing together?

ThanksĀ  :)

mjjensen

Re: Newfs and Kitties
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 05:59:38 pm »

ThanksĀ  :)
  I can't speak for all Newfies but my Newf Molly's lifelong companion was a blind,epileptic cat (Grover) that I rescued. She took care of the cat like it was her baby. They played together, ate together, and slept together. Molly also seemed to be able to sense when the cat was going to have a seizure (Grover was on meds her whole life but they didn't always prevent the seizures). When I got the cat the vet told me she would be lucky to live to be a year old but she made it to thirteen and it might sound crazy but I think Molly was a big factor in that. I'll try to scan some pictures of them together. They were a great pair and I miss them both.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 06:04:54 pm »

Thanks  :)

Drake and our cats get along, especially our big, fat Bombay named Boo.  They get along really well.  Our orange Tabby named Kenai is skittish by nature and pretty much steers clear of Drake, but Drake doesn't really bother with him.  I have a few shots of Boo and Drake chilling out, they sort of blend together.  They are good buds! ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:14:16 am »
Wow, they are so cute together! Wish mine would get along that well!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline kuippo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:26:18 pm »
That Is soooooo cute!!! Thank you soo much for posting them, love them!!! Keep em coming :)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:33:10 pm »
The cats pretty much tell the dogs what's up, and Sadie and Riley listen. Occasionally Riley chooses to talk back. LOL. Any pictures with both would either involve the cats in the background or perhaps some kind of a close-up of a standoff. I wish they got along better. They will sleep in bed together, once the dogs have settled down. It makes my bed very warm. :)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:57:17 pm »
My Newfie and cat get along really well , they're about the same age so they play together all of the time , crashing around my house knocking things over ..... But it's all in fun , I swear  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:42:30 pm »
My Newfies and cats get along ok, though my two baby Newfs do pester the cats a bit, which the cats don't seem to mind, even though they are always wet ::). Sometimes Honey is naughty and decides to chase the cats in the garden, which she gets told off for, but if she does it, then brother Kitten has to do it too ::).

We had the cats when they were small kittens and our first two Newfs were probably about 3-4 years old. They used to protect the kittens if they got scared of anything.... Especially when they started to venture outside ;D

Unfortunately I have never taken any photos of my cats and dogs together... If I had I would be only too happy to shre them ;D
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 04:10:47 pm »
Onyx *loves* our cat Stitch, sometimes to the point of driving the poor cat crazy!!

I'll see if I've got any pics at home. Onyx hates to let the cat out of his sight, and will run around in a panic whimpering f he can't find his buddy. Stitch thinks he's a dog, so usually during the day, we just put him out in the kennel with the boy-os, and they are all waiting for us when we get home in the afternoon.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 06:24:57 pm »
Stitch thinks he's a dog, so usually during the day, we just put him out in the kennel with the boy-os, and they are all waiting for us when we get home in the afternoon.

You gotta post a picture of that!  That would be hilarious.  Unless the dog is overly agressive and would try to kill the cat, most dogs do the overly curious sniffing of the cats.  The Cats, will either, A.) run, of B.) tolerate it for a bit and then let the dogs have it.  We taught Drake to be nice to our kitties, but he chases off any of the neighborhood cats that make the mistake of wandering into our back yard.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 07:18:58 pm »
Yeah, I've seen the horrible results of Dogmeets-Kitty. When we first brought Stitch home, we were kinda worried, as the Boy-os hadn't really been that exposed to them. However, we had no idea that we weren't really adopting a cat....just a new species of dog. Talk about your Body Dismorphic Disorder!!!!!

I'll get a pic or two of it if I can, and get them posted up.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA