Author Topic: Hi! I'm a newbie  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
  • Baron: Great Pyrenees/Border Collie; 15 months
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm a newbie
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:39:26 pm »
Hi all. I just got the link to this off another board. I LOVE big dogs, but unfortunately, at this point, I can't afford to care for a huge dog (I really want a saint bernard, and a mastiff), so for now I have to console myself with my two large breeds.
I have Silky a 6 y/o, Standard Poodle/German Shepherd mix who weighs about 65 pounds. One of the easiest dogs I've ever trianed, she learns commands (except heel) within doing them three times usually, and got the overprotective ness from both parents.

And Baron, a 15 month old Great Pyrenees/Border Collie mix, who weighs 85-90 pounds, and is still growing. Imagine all the brains, trainability, and herding from the border, and the regalness, and the psychotic protectiveness some pyre's have, and you get Baron. His littermates are all pretty complacent, laid back, friendly dogs (got him from a rescue I work with), and I got lucky enough to pick out the one that would be psychotically territorial. By the time he was 4 months old, he was teaching Silky how to guard the house sufficiently. Other than that, he's a great dog. Extremely loyal, playful, and obedient, and he's starting to figure out that all people aren't out to get us  ::) :). 

"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anonymous

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Hi! I'm a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:53:18 pm »
Hello Silky & Baron! Welcome to BPO! :)
RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:58:49 pm »
Hi,

My name is Kat and I have 2 Malinois girls named Kaila and Cinder.  Both of your pups are gorgeous.  I know the feeling of picking out the troublemakers.  I usually pick the puppy that is antisocial and is too smart for its own good. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:59:46 pm »
Boy your kids are cute!

I'm Shawna, proud mommy of 12 week old Newfie, Sadie. I'd welcome you, but we're new here too! ;D
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:23:14 am »
Welcome to BPO
Im Carole and I am mommy to Queenie a 9 year old collie X and Kayzer my 4 mth old trouble maker Great Dane. Actually he is a pretty good boy but I can tell already he has the potential of a trouble maker. LOL
Hope you like it here.
Love the pics, both your babies are gorgeous!
cuttles

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:27:04 am »
Welcome to BPO!  I'm Melissa.  I have a 7 month old Giant Schnauzer named Dazy and a 3 year old Miniature Schnauzer named Ladybug.  Your girls are beautiful and sound like they have personality to spare!

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:40:30 pm »
Thanks for all the welcomes!
Shawna; I'd give anything to meet your newfie puppy. But, lucky for me, my boss co-runs Mid-South Great Pyrenees Rescue, and I'll be getting to take care of some 6 w/o newfie/pyre pups in the next week or so (owners bred for profit, couldn't sell, took them to kill shelter, they got respiratory infection, were being prepped for euthanasia, my boss called, got them put on hold for 6 hours), also some 10 w/o saint bernard/pyre's (I'll be having fun in the next week).
On top of my two I posted, I also have a foster girl, Ashea, a 90+ pound mastiff/chow, makes quite an interesting dog, as well as my cat, Aurora, a bengal, and a shih tzu, Emma that I found in the middle of the road in sept, 05, and never found any owners. And up until yesterday, I had a litter of 5, 12 w/o lab/hound/? mix puppies (I'd had them for 5 weeks, until they were old enough to be adopted, then I finally got them on transport to NY).
Then my boss, who is a lawyer (I'm basically her personal assistant, I clean her house, her office, file, babysit her dogs, etc) has a purebred great pyre, Bess, 80 pounds, a border collie/pyre, Floyd, 140 pounds (a bit overweight) a landseer newfie (mix?), Baxter, 120 pounds and a sheltie mix, Zoey, 40 pounds, and currently a special needs 7 month old golden retriever/pyre foster, Oscar, 65 pounds, that was found in a field in rural KY w/his siblings, all rescued. So, although I don't have any hugmongous dogs myself, I don't get to care for them several days a week.
"Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anonymous

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 06:50:00 pm »
Hi and welcome to the list. Silky and Baron look lovely and it sounds like you have a great job! I'm Sharon and I have a Tibetan Mastiff (Flynn) and soon to have a Shar-Pei again (Libby). I think your dogs definitely pass as big paws!

I'd love to see photos of your mastiff/chow foster dog.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 12:24:37 pm »
Hi, I'm Erin. I have an aussie and a newf of my own and am babysitting two nards(St. Bernards) for a week.  Yes my house is insane right now ;D.  I also have two horses and two cats.

And I second the vote for pictures of all the critters.  ;D
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 12:44:02 pm »
You are SO busy with big paws....I think you definately will have stories to tell to the group!  Welcome!  I have two Newfs, Cowboy, a three year old Landseer and Chester, a one year old Brown.

It's good to have you aboard! ;D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 01:35:18 pm »
Welcome aboard! I'm April and I have a pyr and a mix puppy. I saw the pyr puppies on petfinder. You are so luckly to be able to play with puppies all the time. I really wish I could have another puppy. They are so cute! Hope they'll find wonderful homes soon. 

Offline Silky&Baron

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 06:18:49 pm »
Pyre Rescue never has them all listed at once. They usually list the ones in most urgent need of a home, or that are totally ready for adoption right now, I don't think they like to have more than 20 listed at a time, but they have about 55 right not, about 40 of which are puppies, about 20 of those are purebred, and there are at least 3 litters with their momma's under 4 weeks old, and 4 older litters. Anyone want to foster in TN/KY ???, they literally get requests to take in more everyday, even more puppies from kill/gas shelter everyday.

My other trouble makers:
Emma, about 2 yrs. I found her in the middle of the road in Sept 05, and she was obviously someones pampered houseped at some point, but when I found her, it took three baths and a shave to get her clean. And she had horrible eye infections. I never found any owners, but that's not too surprising around here (she's terrified of cameras).

And Aurora, a 6 y/o marbled Bengal

Warning, sad, kinda long, rescue story, but w/a happy ending.
Here's Ashea, my 3 y/o, 90+ pound, mastiff/chow foster (she is terrified of cameras, and doesn't really look mastiff if her pics, but definately does in real life).

This dog has been to h*ll and back. She was first rescued, and adopted really quickly at about 6 weeks. The adoption process was only a very simple contract. A year later she was brought back. The woman that "adopted" her wanted to move in with her boyfriend, and couldn't take her. Turns out that the whole year, she was kept in almost complete solitude in a small apartment. The only attention she got was being verbally and psychically abused. She was also starved (I suspect she'd be even bigger now, had she had nutrition as a puppy). Then she got adopted out to what turned out to be drug dealers, where she ended up biting some druggies (who can blame her), and being tortured endlessly by their children. Then she went into a sanctuary situation for about a year, getting very little attention and spending most of her time in a kennel or a large fenced in area with her pack (other rescues that had been there for quite awhile, about 8 of them). Then the sanctuary closed, she got bounced around throughout a few fosters, and I finally ended up with her, as I knew she'd just end up in someone's back yard or bounced around continually if I didn't.
Needless to say, when I got her, she was a bit shell shocked, terrified of strangers, extremely food aggressive, not good with most other dogs, and would kill any animal under 20 pounds on sight.
Now, she is a sweet, affectionate, loyal, playful, loving dog. She's is still food protective from other animals (will let a human take stuff right out of her mouth), but only eats what she needs (has literally been known to eat 40 pounds of dog food at one time, now eats 2-3 cups two times a day). She gets along well with most dogs 50 pounds and up, and tolerates small dogs (like my shih tzu), but unluckily is still incredibly cat aggressive, otherwise I'd keep her. I still wouldn't trust her with children, as she can be a bit hand shy, and nervous around sudden loud noises (and she was tortured by them), but with 5 months work, she is like a new dog. When she came, the sight of a leash or a lifted object would make her hit the floor, now she loves toys, can't wait to go for walks, is a huge couch potato, has excellent house manners, and loves her crate. She still needs a special home with experienced owners, but she just goes to show that with some time, love, and training, almost any dog can be rehabilitated (although, I've seen a few beyond hope), and dogs that truly have been "rescued", are some of the most loyal and appreciative dogs you'll ever meet. What really helped her was the litter of 7 week old puppies I brought home about 5 weeks ago, that stayed out in her pen with her during the day (she gets time in the house, but we have a cat, and Silky hates her, so they have to be locked up). They really taught her self restraint when they hit about 10 weeks, and she really likes tiny puppies (but thankfully, for my sanity, they left friday). Anyone know of someone that wants a big loving, loyal, needy, drop dead georgeous dog (people walking down the street, literally stop and stare, and ask what breed she is), that needs some special attention and training?