Author Topic: newfies and adolescence  (Read 10290 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: newfies and adolescence
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 08:41:50 am »
I've got to say thank you to everyone!! i feel SO much better knowing that i'm not alone!  for as much as we get frustrated when the incidents happen, it's so funny to look back and laugh!!
  we're actually at my parents house visiting this weekend, and fumble has pulled houdini acts!  he escaped from the area we blocked off for him with baby gates! i have no idea how he did it!  this morning he came trotting over to me at 630 and i had no idea how he got out from the babygates! they were completely unscatheD!  he also though did find a way into the toilet!  i noticed that on my way to take him out!!  it's neverending with the fumbS!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Happypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 01:53:59 pm »
HEAR! HEAR!   My Shelby is going through the terrible teens...  but it sounds like I'm getting off easy! :D  Exercise makes all the difference for us.  She gets so bored during the day and wants to play with anything!  She gets to go to work with me, but has to be calm and quiet... when we get home she and our ram sheep have a face off contest.  He tries to butt her and she plays tag.  It's too funny to watch and I never let them take it too far.  He doesn't have horns, so it's not as dangerous as it could be.  She thinks it's great fun and is learning the leave it command very well to boot.  The ram gets his exercise too and keeps him in shape.  Win, Win situation?  Shelby then takes a good long nap and is ready for bed when we are!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 02:07:08 pm »
I would actually love to get a Grey girl. Grin But none of the breeders I have found so far in Canada have greys. Sad And I've only found a few that breed Landseers.

I talked to one Canadian breeder who had Landseers....s orry, I can't remember right now who it was but I'll look it up and PM you, if you are interested.  As far as the Grays, there is a breeder...Craz y Bear Newfs, I think, that has some.  There was a post previously that had pictures of them...

Lyn

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 04:03:34 pm »
Thanks. ;D I found Crazy Bear Newfs website. If you can think of the other breeder that would be awesome. The one you are thinking of may actually be listed on the dogs in canada website. There is quite a few breeders on there.. I have lots of reading and contacting to do. LOL

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 05:12:57 pm »
LOL, my Newfish was already 8 months old when i got him, so it was like skipping the cute puppy stage, and going right to the teen age! now that he is almost 5 yrs, he has calmed down. Bailey was only 8 wks when i got him, so it was really fun watching him grow...BUT he is 6 yrs now, and still stuck in the teen age! i swear, he acts just like Scooby Doo!

Leah and the BEASTS
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 06:35:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Our Newfie , Moose , loves to read and shreds any book he can get his teeth into. He has devoured several large novels already !  He also has a deep love for the stuffing inside the couch. I no longer have pillows in my living room as they got 'de-stuffed' and now I'm duct taping the couch.
Moose knows he can't do this but since he knows he's going to get punished, he may as well have some fun first, lol.

We call things "Moosefied" around here.

All the same, I love this goof and would actually consider getting another one!!! 

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 11:31:12 am »
Hi,

Winslow turned 9 months TODAY! I have to say he is great!! he is showing the teens though the in and out all day and the mouthing is how can I say this A REAL PAIN IN THE arm and now nipping at the back side!! Like don't turn your back it is time to play mister!! I have found a new talent fo myself. ;D

I am an official Stuffed animal Surgeon now! I have preformed multiple Rhinoplasties on his favorite stuffed pig. Twice done cranial tranplants on his stuffed ducks and his 3 foot stuffed easter bunny from BJ's (better known as his girlfriend) ;) had sufferd the loss of an ear, multiple arm and leg lacerations and stiches. And the tails on both Bunny and Piggie have suffered the ever delicate and painful Rectal squeeky reinsertion procedure  :o that has become my specialty.

I feel I will be starting a practice soon or emergency repair clinic. Those emergency surgery places always get to charge more!!  ;D Yeah and Emergency stuffed animal Surgery Clinic. I can get a Tonka Truck ambulance and everything. ::)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:35:51 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 12:46:09 pm »
I'm not sure it is just a Newfie thing.  Seems like all our Labs have gone through that as well.  Eider's nickname is Devil Spawn.  Excercise sure helps but not enough!  We didn't get the Eider man until he was 5 mo so it is hard to judge but with all the others, it seemed the first 6 mo were the worst.  Then at about 1 yr you noticed that there was less chewing, a little calmer, less torturing of the owner.  Then at 2 yrs all of a sudden they are great dogs!  Ok, so maybe not perfect after age 2 but the problems were rare after that point.  Do keep the stories coming though, I could use a good laugh.
Daphne

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 02:08:50 pm »
I know the feeling Hovis is still going through that, I'll do what I want stage at 15 months, she's fine on her own but as soon as she and Bell get together they seem to compete in who can be the worst.

Yesterday for example we went to the local supermarket, a trip we do regularly. The routine is always the same, there is a footpath with walls either side that runs for about 500 yards to the edge of the supermarket. They walk off lead and stop for a biscuit at the end when they are put back on their leads. They stop near the door and are tied up to wait for me to come back from shopping, when they get another treat. Ive done the trip 100's of time but yesterday about 100 yards from the biscuit stop Hovis put her head down and started running, closely followed by Bell,both suddenly deaf. I was third and losing ground rapidly. When I got to the Supermarket, they were inside exploring, much to my embaressment and the amusement of everyone else. ( I blame the Supermarket for automatic doors!) As soon as they saw me,they came running up and sat waiting for their biscuit. Yes, they got it and were then tied up to wait for me to visit the supermarket. It's difficult trying to shop with your head down trying not to catch anyones eye ;D

Andy

:D  :D  :D And that's exactly why I don't take Flynn shopping! That and I don't think I can handle people commenting on my lovely 'rottweiller cross' every 5 minutes. Oh well, at least he hasn't been accused of being an alsatian cross for a few months!

I'm not quite sure if Flynn has hit adolescence yet or if he's going ot wait until he's 2 years old and take on the demeanour of a grizzly bear. I'm presuming that the wild bronco on a lead stage he's going through at the moment is it and things are going to get better as he gets older and more sensible. Either that or I'm going to have to trade the head collar on for a chair and whip in a few months.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 02:48:32 pm »
Hi,

Winslow turned 9 months TODAY! I have to say he is great!! he is showing the teens though the in and out all day and the mouthing is how can I say this A REAL PAIN IN THE arm and now nipping at the back side!! Like don't turn your back it is time to play mister!! I have found a new talent fo myself. ;D

I am an official Stuffed animal Surgeon now! I have preformed multiple Rhinoplasties on his favorite stuffed pig. Twice done cranial tranplants on his stuffed ducks and his 3 foot stuffed easter bunny from BJ's (better known as his girlfriend) ;) had sufferd the loss of an ear, multiple arm and leg lacerations and stiches. And the tails on both Bunny and Piggie have suffered the ever delicate and painful Rectal squeeky reinsertion procedure  :o that has become my specialty.

I feel I will be starting a practice soon or emergency repair clinic. Those emergency surgery places always get to charge more!!  ;D Yeah and Emergency stuffed animal Surgery Clinic. I can get a Tonka Truck ambulance and everything. ::)

Haha do you want to tackle Kali and Lacey's neverending pile of toys that still need repair....I keep forgetting to fix them all so it's quite the pile.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 03:07:09 pm »
Hi,

They must be Lacey's Kali is too sweet to damage her toys :-)Sure I'd tackle them. We can do the exchange at the next get together Better yet I'll bring a needle and thred for everyone!! It can be like a Newfie ER.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 03:08:56 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
Hi,

They must be Lacey's Kali is too sweet to damage her toys :-)Sure I'd tackle them. We can do the exchange at the next get together Better yet I'll bring a needle and thred for everyone!! It can be like a Newfie ER.

Rich

Great, and I'll bring Sadie's decapitated duck and bear with the missing ear. She's awfully violent my girl, I try not to cross her too often ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 05:18:21 pm »
Hi,

Rich

That's a good idea....but I don't think you realize how large that pile is :D.  And fluffies don't appreciate being used to drag Kali across the floor.  And Kali loves to destuff everything.... ohh fun memories of pillow stuffing strewn across the floor and her with the evidence in her mouth and in her coat giving the sweet and innocent expression.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties