Author Topic: Help! My Newf Needs A New Home  (Read 8422 times)

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Help! My Newf Needs A New Home
« on: February 18, 2006, 03:07:14 am »
 :(

I've been a member here for a few months and have really enjoyed the boards here.  I haven't contributed a whole lot but I really need everyone's help today.  Our situation is that we relocated to the Tacoma, WA area last summer and brought our dogs with us.  Unfortunately we coulodn't have our dogs with us where we're staying so our Newf, Ebony, and our two terriers (Angus & Allie) have been staying with my cousin nearby for the past few months. 

Without getting into the sordid details (all human in nature), my cousin's husband informed me yesterday morning that he wants all the dogs gone immediately.  We are currently living in a situation where dogs are not allowed, and that's why my cousin has been housing them (my cousin loves the dogs and does NOT want them gone out of her house but, unfortunately her husband does want them gone and he pays 1/2 the mortgage).  He told me yesterday morning we have until 2/26/06 (a week from tomorrow) to have our dogs out of his house.

The best case scenario is that in one week my whole familyl, plus our fabulous dogs will have a new place to live (I'm a personal chef and would gladly cook for the family who's willing to house us and my husband restores old houses and does general handyman/contracting stuff).  But barring that amazing miracle, we need to find a new home for Ebony, Allie & Angus immediately.

I would like to find someone in the Tacoma, WA area.  The dogs do not have to be placed together and we can totally understand why someone wouldn't want a Newf + two terriers (it's a crazy/fun combination!).

We need a miracle.  This whole situation is beyond surreal to me and cannot even believe that I am sitting here typing this request.  Letting my dogs go anywhere but with me is THE LAST thing I want to do but we're not sure what else we can do.

Maybe there are some friends here we haven't met yet.  Please speak up with any ideas or suggestions.  We had dogs long, long before we ever considered having children with skin. They are our babies and we have been through SO much together.  Any and all ideas are welcome.  Thanks for reading this.

Gigi

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Help! My Newf Needs A New Home
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 09:49:10 am »
I am far away and not in a position for more pets, but I want you to know I am sending you prayers and best wishes that something amazing will happen for you.  I can't imagine the heartache you are facing.  I hope that your cousin is helping you look for a solution and that something good will come of this.  <<hugs>>
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 09:53:27 am »
I'm too far too.  But I'm sure someone will be able to help.  I'll send good thoughts your way.  I wish my cousins out there weren't pilots, so they could help but they're never home enough for pets.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 09:55:38 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Yaz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 12:53:25 pm »
Can you post an ad on craigslist
 http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/

It is read by thousands of people and hopefully someone will be able to help you. I am saying a quick prayer for you and your babies.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 05:59:42 pm »
Wish you were closer!  I'd love to have your whole dog and people pack stay here for a while!  DH is currently out back working on a room that we've been trying to redo for more than a year now and I'm facing the most awful time of day in the world - making dinner time.  I'd MUCH rather be out walking dogs, brushing dogs, petting dogs, whatever dogs! 

How about the local rescue groups?  Not necessarily to get rid of your dogs but to help you foster them while you try to find a place where you can have them?  I know our group helped foster a bunch of Pyrs for a lady who was hospitalized for months after a car accident.  Try both the Newfie and the terrier groups to see if they will help hold you over for a little while.  It may be a bit outside their normal way of operating but my hope is that they'll rise to the occasion!  You just need a hand until you can get a permanent solution.

As for permanent solutions, have you considered a caretaking kind of situation?  Gotta run help DH with something but if you think you'd like some info on that, I'll see what I can dig up. 
Daphne

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 07:32:41 pm »
I agree. Contact any and all local rescue organizations. Even if it isn't in there normal mode of operation they may have a volunteer willing to help you temporarily foster them. No one who is animal friendly wants to see a responsible pet owner forced to give up their babies. Craigs List is another good idea. Don't ask to give them away, ask to find someone to foster them. Call the local vet offices, too and ask if they know of anyone who may be willing to foster for a while.

Good  luck. Keep us posted.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 08:26:12 pm »
Here's a contact and link to Newfoundland Club in Seattle.  It was listed under Newf Rescue so maybe they have some suggestions for places that could foster or at least help in your area....

mailto:brianandgwyn@aol.com

http://www.newfdogclub.org/Main_Sub_Pages/ws13_rescue.htm

lists all the rescue sites for Newfs
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:28:01 pm by newflvr »

Offline Halo05

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 08:53:45 pm »
Maybe you could pay the mean husband to let the dogs stay. Money talks sometimes. If not , I can call him. LOL.

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 10:51:52 pm »
I would love to help, but I'm in NY  :-\

Hope everything works out
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 12:42:36 am »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and good wishes.  I did post on craigslist this morning.  You can find it on craigslist/Seattle under pets.  I posted this morning with the information I had at that time and then I just re-posted with updated information, which is basically that I just need to place Ebony, the Newf.

I am looking for a foster situation for Ebony for now because in a matter of weeks we'll be driving back to CO to close up our house and sell it and we'll be hopefully going back TOGETHER as a FAMILY.

I honestly hadn't considered contacting the Newf rescue group because I equated that with failing.  Failing being a rescued dog owner (I rescued Ebony nearly two years ago from living with wolves and a boaconstrictor) and failing Ebony in particular.  But I don't suppose contacting a rescue group equates with failure and I certainly wouldn't catagorize anyone else as a failure if they were in my shoes.  I just expect me to not have these problems.  Well wake up sunshine, I guess I am part of the human race too!!

So I have more hope tonight than I did last night when I posted here but we're not home free yet.  We need to find a very good foster situation that is close to where we are in Tacoma, WA and with people who will want to see me a lot.  They will need to be part dog themselves because, well you own Newfs, you all know.  Ebony is sweet, gentle and kind, she will need to be adored every minute of the day.  Of course a fenced yard, being inside all day lounging on the couches, and being brushed daily goes without saying around here but it may be tough to find a skin person who will truly live that out.

Keep the good ideas, warm thoughts and boxes of kleenexes comin'...I'll need them.

Thank you so much for everything you've already done!  Gigi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 12:57:18 am »
You are so NOT a failure!  You are doing everything possible to keep your family together!  The only reason I looked up the rescue site is that they do have people to foster and it just might help to take the pressure off until you find a permanent place to settle! 

We're all rooting for you!!!  Good luck and keep us posted ;D ;D ;D ;D!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 12:06:34 pm »
I second that -- you are not a failure!  Even human kids have to stay with friends or relatives when their families are in transition. 

The cousin's husband is the failure -- if this were a tv show, your babies would rescue the family from impending danger and he'd be forced to admit they're wonderful! 

I have a brother in Colville -- he's got a huge spread in the mountains.  Is that anywhere near you?

Sarah
Sarah

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 12:20:11 pm »
I'm on the other side of CO , in SD . I would gladly foster for you if you could get her alllll the way over here ! :-\ ;)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 07:31:14 pm »
Thanks so much everyone...for your kind words and support.

You're right of course, having to place Ebony temporarily doesn't make me a failure.  I'm an emotional wreck but not a failure.  And you're also right that if there's a falure, it's in my cousin's husband's ability to communicate... or to think beyond how he's inconvenienced 15 days out of each month.  If you consder being snuggled by three terriers while sitting on the couch and having a big black foot rest beneath your feet an inconvenience.  In terms of the daily care, whether he's there or not, it's my cousin and me.  Oh well, I'm powerless over people, places and things.

And today I found out the REAL reason they want Ebony gone. My cousin informed me that I need to find a home for Ebony that doesn't have any other dogs. They've hinted around the past week, but that's it...they think Ebony mauled Mitch, our fabulous Westie, who died of trauma a little over a week ago.  I was staying at my cousin's housee after she got injured at work and was staying at her mom and dad's house and her husband was out at sea working.  I stayed there in the evenings and took care of all the critters.

And I guess there could be something to the Ebony The Murderer Theory if Mitch and Ebony hadn't slept together, played together, eaten together and in general enjoyed a mutual "love fest" since Ebony came to our family almost three years ago.  Mitchell was the hub of the wheel of our family.  The saying around our house has always been "Everybody Loves Mitchie".  No.........pur ebred or not, I don't think Ebony destroyed Mitch.

But hey, at least I know now why they want Ebony gone.  Ya, that viscious dog eating Newfoundland.

So the search for Ebony's new foster home continues.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions rolling.

Gigi

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 09:07:28 pm »
I so wish I lived closer I'd take her in a heartbeat.  I doubt a newf would maul something they've been around with no signs of problems.  I wish you luck though and the rescue group should be able to help.  Keep us updated.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties