Author Topic: Dog going in crate...  (Read 1086 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Dog going in crate...
« on: February 18, 2006, 03:13:14 pm »
My brother in law's sister got a minature poodle for X-mas for her kids...The dog is about 5 months old now...Well, they want to "get rid of it" because it poops in it's crate...I told her the dangers that are associted with pet store pups & that this is probably a learned behaivor on the dogs part...She says they will take the pup out & it won't go outside but does when they put it in the crate...They have cut down on the space the dog has in the crate but it is still pottying in their...I hate to see them give the dog up & I have never dealt with such an issue...Any advise I can pass on to break the pup of this bad habit?...Thanks guys!

k2campbell

Re: Dog going in crate...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 06:04:38 pm »
I'm no expert (but) have a suggestion...

Do they keep the crate in their bedroom?  I've heard the majority of pups will whimper a bit before they need to go poop.  Kate did when she was being house trained, and my friends' pup still does now at 9 mnths of age.  If the crate isn't being kept in their room at night - I'd suggest starting with that.  When the pup whines in the middle of the night - take him out and praise him like crazy when he poops!

Another thing they may be able to do (on a weekend or something) is to stay up for a night or two with the pup (and sleep during the day).  I know it's a sucky thing to have to do (but) if they're up, the pup may ask to go out when he has to poop.  OR - when he starts to poop then they could take him outside "mid-poop" to show him he's not to poop in his crate...

I've heard of a lot of dogs that poop in their crate instead of waking their owners during the night.  I'm guessing it's because they realize when their owners are in bed - it's time for me to be quiet too.  Maybe the pup just doesn't want to wake them up?

I hope it works out for them...  ;)