Author Topic: shopping with giant dogs  (Read 4504 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
shopping with giant dogs
« on: May 23, 2005, 02:11:21 am »
I love to bring the dogs to Petsmart, being a proud mama of course I just love when people tell my babies how cute they are and ohhhh and awwww over them, but sometimes it is almost a bit too much. Last time we went to petsmart, just to pick up a couple of things, we ended up spending way over an hour in there, we thought it would take 10 or maybe 15 min. but no way. You cant take many steps inbetween all the awwwing and kissing and kids who want to know what breed they are and can they pet. It is extremely good for the socalization and yeeeess I grow an inch every time I am in there lol.... But sometimes it would be a lot quicker if we could just go in get what we need and out again. Do you all have the same experience, that it takes longer when you bring your big dogs, just because people want to talk to them??

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: shopping with giant dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 07:33:35 am »
Going anywhere with my guys is fun but I make sure I have plenty of extra time.  Even our daily walk in the park which should only take 45 minutes - 1 hour, can take up to 2 hours.  Some days I have to stop every few steps for someone to pet, kiss, look at or simply ask about my guys.  Of course, they eat it up and milk it for all it's worth by looking sad and watching the people walk away when we start going again.  I usually only take one with me to the pet store since I know I will be pushing 80 or more lbs of dog food when we leave while trying to get my attention hogs back in the car.

It is a burden having such cute dogs sometimes.  ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:07:12 am »
I have the same problem when we go to Petco with Leo.  I love to see the look on peoples faces when they see this huge 36" tall Saint coming at them!  Sometimes they look embarressed of their little dog when they see mine.  Of course I oooh and aww over theirs like they do mine (all babies need yubs).  Whenever I feel like I need a little more attention (I am a woman after all) I just pack the boy up and go for some dog treats.  It's the best pick me up!  Tina, I know what you mean about the paws going in all direction on the tile floor.  When I come home from work he is so excited to see me that he starts jumping around on the pergo floor and everytime his big ole legs splay out and he looks like a seal flopping around!  I always feel bad and take him out on the back deck where he can get some air and run around and show me stuff.  It's a hoot!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:08:29 pm »
Oh yes...I don't think we've gone anywhere with Ranger without adding on at least another 30-45 mins onto the trip.  People are just mesmerized by him because most folks don't know what kind of dog he is.  I went on the GSMD org page the other day and reread the FAQ about Swissys and belly laughed because the first question listed is "What kind of dog is that."  The paragraph goes on to describe that as the most frequently asked question of a Swissy owner and it is the God's honest truth!  Most people have never seen a Swissy before, so most try to guess...alot of people think he is a Bernese or a Rottweiler mix because Swissys have that Rotti butt (when Ranger isn't looking I'll try to snap a picture  ;) ).  So, we go through the whole thing....Berne se and Swissys are essentially brothers, but Swissys are the short-haired, bigger brother.....no, he isn't a Rotti, but there is Rotti, St. Bernard, and Mastiff way back in the breed line.....etc.  We were eating lunch on Saturday at a restaurant that had a patio, so Ranger came with us.  6 different groups of folks came up and were asking all about Ranger, and of course he's eating it up...free attention!  One family had a Bernese, so they just loved seeing Hugo's, there Bernese,bigger brother!  Our waitress, who has 4 German Shepards, made sure to bring him some water and snuck him a treat or two!

Tina and NatsaintB...lo l...I can just see it now!  You've got to love puppies trying to get their bearings on slippery surfaces.  We have Pergo floors in our house and we've had carpet scraps all over the house, until he got his bearings.  While Ranger has pretty much gotten it figured out, he'll still do the spread eagle slide when he takes a turn to quickly or just out of sheer excitement when he sees us! 

Luvmydanes

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 04:21:57 pm »
I love petco, cause you can totally show your dogs off. We went on Saturday, and took only Jazzy this time, and the second we got there, I was like "I wish we would have brought Dane, cause he is so huge" People looked at jaz and commented on her (mostly "what kind of dog is that?" - I HATE THAT!!) but had we brought Dane, there would have been a lot more people gawking. lol Next weekend we're going! They have the low cost vaccinations there and Dane needs his rabies, so can't wait!

Kandi

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 05:22:29 pm »
well....im glad that all of your dogs aren't a holes....but my guy is...and im scared to take him to a place where another living thing is for fear of his starting SH*T and me getting into trouble.  its a catch 22....because i can't take him in public because he isn't socialized, but i can't socialize him because he tries to eat all other life forms!

AHHH

you're all lucky ducks!@

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 06:50:13 pm »
Whenever I feel like I need a little more attention (I am a woman after all) I just pack the boy up and go for some dog treats.  It's the best pick me up!

Too funny!  :D :D

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 06:51:40 pm »

It is a burden having such cute dogs sometimes.  ;D

Isn't it? :-\

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 05:48:49 pm »
The only problem we have when going to a place like that is our husky/shepherd gets sooo neglected. Hutch takes all of the attention. Now when people ask if they can pet Hutch we tell them sure, but they have to pet his little sister first! It seems to work like a charm. For a quick trip in and out...well we just have to leave them at home.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 06:03:07 pm »
Petco was an absolute lifesaver (along with White Front which is where I actually buy most of my pet supplies) for Samson...I got him at 14 weeks old & he wasn't socialized AT ALL...The breeder doesn't even pet the pups because they raise them for L.G.D.'s & I guess they don't want them people friendly so they stay with the sheep or whatever they are gaurding...Sam son's parents both were working dogs & back many many generations both sides were (back from mom & dad)...Anyway, he was a mess!...People wanting to know him at these places & coming up & giving him attention were truly his saving grace.