Author Topic: my turn to ask for help... Nigel's gone psycho.  (Read 13337 times)

Offline Halo05

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: my turn to ask for help... Nigel's gone psycho.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 02:04:03 pm »
Your dog is older now. You can't go by his actions as a puppy. If he's Fila, you will not be able to change it. It will get worse as he gets older.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 02:10:22 pm »
Your dog is older now. You can't go by his actions as a puppy. If he's Fila, you will not be able to change it. It will get worse as he gets older.

Do you think there are any ways I could tell for sure if Nigel is part Fila?

will

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 02:21:40 pm »

i understand that, what I am confused about is that you said Filas don't accept "strange" dogs.  Rushmore is not a strange dog.  he has been with Nigel since he was a puppy.  Nigel loves our foster dog who IS a strange dog.  also, Nigel does not and has NEVER lashed out on the newest members of our family.  that's what i'm confused about.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 02:41:29 pm »
Ok, I just talked to the woman who has Nigel's mama and 4 of his littermates. None of them have shown any signs of aggression. I'm just trying to put together pieces of the puzzle. Apparently Nigel's littermates are very easy going and love all other dogs. Nigel's mama had a tiff with another female recently but they worked it out.

Hmmm. Another thing that April suggested to me is that the breeding pair of pitbulls in the yard next door could be influencing the situation... especially if the male is marking the fence. And the female is pregnant, so god only knows what kinds of hormones are flying through the air around here right now. Not to mention the two intact male pitbulls who live behind us and back up to our fence.

Oh the testosterone!!! :(

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 05:11:30 pm »
Another thing that might help is excercise...an d alot of it for both. Take them for runs or long walks to wear them out. Always make sure they follow you though...you have to be first out the door and they have to be at your side the entire time. Look into the Dog Whisperer's techniques...t hey've been helping with Lacey as well as the fact we took her off the medication.  Also watch your own body language don't anticipate the problems because that can create a situation.  Also if possible leave leashes on them when they're together so if there is a problem you can seperate them without getting into the middle of it.  Hope this helps but excercise is definitely important to keeping everyone sane especially walks(don't rely on backyard excercise.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 05:30:14 pm »
Good idea Chaos. Where do I get info on the dog whisperer's techniques? We don't get the national geographic channel (isn't that where his show comes on?) and last I checked he didn't even have a book for sale. Cesar Millan, right?

Nigel has had a leash on all day today, but he really hasn't had much energy at all because he certainly didn't get any sleep last night!!!

Oh man I know what you mean about being careful about my own body language- it was so hard for me not to be paranoid last night that they would fight again. And then of course they did. And I have been nervous all day today and I hate this feeling! But I've had the gentle leader on Nigel all day and he has just been sleeping by me.

I'm seriously considering an animal communicator.. .

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile

will

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 06:11:38 pm »
halo05,
thank you for your information on filas.  i hope i didn't not sound mad or argumentative.  as you can probably tell i am confused and slightly frustrated.  we're just trying to get as much information as possible to help our pack.

hey rebekah, see anky's link did that weird thing too. what's up with that?!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 07:00:55 pm »
This is one of the things that factored into my decision to keep Peyton as a foster. Sadie wasn't showing aggression towards her (except for the first day, though she and Riley are too rough for her at the moment (she'll cry sometimes)); however, when Sadie and Riley wrestle in the dog park and another dog tries to get into it, Sadie takes it as an attack and goes nuts on the dog. This has happened twice with dogs that she normally really likes and once with a dog that tried to pick on her before but whom she's neutral about. She's also been a bit weird about food and just kind of off since Peyton came into the picture.

I think that another male would have been easier for her to accept, but really I think it's a time thing. She got kind of jealous of Riley when he came into the picture at the end of September (it had just been me and her and before that, she even had another person (my ex-bf)). I think she takes it as someone else to take part of my time. She's accepting of Riley, but maybe adding a third dog this soon is too much? Like I said, she's not violent towards Peyton, just to other dogs when it seems like they might be ganging up on her. Maybe she'd do this anyway... I dunno. It's just weird behavior for her. I think another factor is the dog park in our neighborhood; there are quite a few dogs that aren't very good with other dogs, which is frustrating.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 08:19:37 pm »
Yeah his book is coming out in April I believe and he does have a video called People Training for Dogs. I hope his methods help you.  They can be hard to stick to though...but If I can somewhat tough it out you guys should be able to, too.  And I'm finding Kali is the problem more than Lacey.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 11:01:12 am »
Rebekah and Will .... I have Cesar Milan's DVD that I would be more than happy to send to y'all! He doesn't give much instruction but does explain his philosophies about dog behavior, etc.... I am interested in getting more info, so I will probably buy his book when it comes out...

It is not the type of DVD I would watch repeatedly - so if you are interested, y'all can have it.... it is just collecting dust on a shelf...

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 11:26:08 am »
Rebekah and Will .... I have Cesar Milan's DVD that I would be more than happy to send to y'all! He doesn't give much instruction but does explain his philosophies about dog behavior, etc.... I am interested in getting more info, so I will probably buy his book when it comes out...

It is not the type of DVD I would watch repeatedly - so if you are interested, y'all can have it.... it is just collecting dust on a shelf...
Oh wow, thanks Rachel! I actually think Will already ordered it! Is it the one called People Training for Dogs? (I think that's what he ordered.)
I really appreciate your offer!!! :)

Update: yesterday Nigel was not a good boy after Will came home. :( Once Will and Rushmore were together Nigel started staring at Rush again and lunged for him once or twice but I had him on a short lead so he didn't get anywhere. It was upsetting. So we just put Nigel in a different room for the rest of the evening and then he slept in the living room with Leeloo (who could use some alpha boot camp herself).
We made arrangements for Samson to move to a new foster home but she can't take him until next week. I am already crying because he has to go.
Otherwise the majority of our dogs seem to be getting more fired up by the day about the new pit bulls next door. >:( I really think they are making this situation worse. But there is nothing we can do about them. (Steal the dogs and have them neutered?)

And I think I found a trainer who I want to work with.
In the meantime, not letting Rush and Nigel run together at all.  :(
It is so sad to see two former buddies not get along!!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 03:00:52 pm »
Cesar is also going on tour chack his website...you can't bring your pets but he shows his techniques and goes in depth I don't know if there's a spot near you guys but here's the list of cities.
March 24, 2006
IACP Conference
Austin, Texas
www.dogpro.org

March 26, 2006
NoMads
Kerrville, Texas
Contact Lori at 830 - 896-6249
ferlinacd@ktc.com

April 22, 2006
12:00pm to 4:00pm
National Geographic Society
1145 17th Street N.W.
Washington D.C. 20036
$150 Premiere Seats / $100 Regular Seats
Please do not call the National Geographic Society about seminar
Download Registration Form: Click Here
For more information Contact DCSeminar04220 6@aol.com

May 13, 2006
9:00am to 4:00pm
Bentley College
Waltham, MA
Tickets are $140 per person
Admission includes lunch. All proceeds to benefit MSPCA
For registration information go to:
www.especially forpets.com

May 27, 2006
9:00am to 12:30pm
Bradenton, Florida
General Seating is $100
Premier Seating is SOLD OUT!
Sponsored by Humane Society of Manatee County
Email: hsmcwhisperer@yahoo.com

June 10, 2006
Chicago, IL
Information coming soon

June 24, 2006
Second Chance at Love Humane Society
San Luis Obispo, CA

July 1, 2006
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
$85 per ticket
Please contact: Cherita Kegley
(817) 637-2807 | cheritakegley@aol.com
Send check or money order to:
P.O. Box 1153 Azle, TX 76098
Checks should be made payable to:
French Bulldog Club of America Rescue League (FBDCARL)
If send Fedx or UPS:
115 Lelon Lane Springtown, TX 76082

July 8, 2006
9:00am to 1:00pm
Doggie Dude Ranch
Dixie Center
St. George, Utah
$85 (profits to benefit the Zion Animal Lovers)
Purchase tickets by mail or Pay Pal at www.doggyduder anch.com
More info email Filomena at doggydudes@infowest.com
Infoline: (435) 772-3105

July 22, 2006
12:00pm to 4:00pm
Aladdin Shrine Center
3850 Stelzer Road
Columbus, OH 43219
Sponsored by Ohio Rottweiler Rescue and Zaron's Dog Forum
$80 seating SOLD OUT! | $65 regular tickets are still available
Register Form on Zaron's Dog Forum:
www.zaronsdogf orum.com

August 5, 2006
9:00am - 1:00pm
Clarkston High School Performing Arts Center
6093 Flemings Lake Road
Clarkston, MI 48346
$80 per person | Proceeds will be donated to White Shepherd Genetics Project
To download registration form visit: www.wsgenetics .org/new.html
Contact: Judy Huston (517) 546-3046 | Email: hustonjudy@gmail.com
OR Julie Bennett (248) 626-1429 | Email: copzkid@aol.com

August 19, 2006
9:30am to 3:30pm
Amador High School Ampitheater
1155 Santa Rita Road
Pleasanton, CA
$85 per person | Reserved Seating Only
Contact: Nanci Menise (925) 447-5383 | Email: Treasurer@stdschnauzer.com
Sponsored by the Standard Schnauzer Club of Northern California
For Ticket Information go to www.stdschnauz er.com/calendar.php

September 9, 2006
Doberman Pincher Club of St. Paul/Minneapolis
St Paul/Minneapolis, MN
Information coming soon

September 30, 2006
9:00am to 1:00pm
Hilton Garden Inn
1100 South Avenue at Lois Lane
Staten Island, New York 10312
$95 Per Ticket | Contact Terry Farnolo
Infoline: (718) 317-2140
Email: iamfordogs@aol.com

October 14, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Information coming soon

October 28, 2006
Colonial Rottweiler Club
Lancaster, PA
Information coming soon

November 11, 2006
Support Dogs Inc.
St. Louis, Missouri
E-mail: squon@supportdogs.org

December 9, 2006
Lucky Mutts Rescue
Austin, Texas
Information coming soon
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 03:13:57 pm »
Oh wow, thanks Rachel! I actually think Will already ordered it! Is it the one called People Training for Dogs? (I think that's what he ordered.)
I really appreciate your offer!!!

I am glad to help... And the offer stands for anyone who would like the DVD!

Hope it all works out with Nigel and Rush! I know what its like when two dog friends start fighting.... it seriously broke my heart! Its only been a few weeks, but I am happy to report Ellie and her cousin Ginger are not fighting and pretty much back to normal... but I keep a close eye on them... So there is hope for Nigel and Rushmore... hang in there and please keep us updated!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:16:11 pm by EllieAndBlu »