Author Topic: 40 Plus Prys Rescued  (Read 4654 times)

Kiahpyr

40 Plus Prys Rescued
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:04:22 pm »
This makes me so sad. There are more then forty prys that are going to need a lot of help. Here's the article.

http://tinyurl.com/rdgua

More info to follow.

Lyn

Re: 40 Plus Prys Rescued
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:09:22 pm »
That is sad. :( Poor puppers.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:20:44 pm »
I have heard about animal collectors mainly with cats, but not Pyrenees! I'm glad they found out in time, but now what?  ??? Those poor dogs.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:33:40 pm »
Wow, I hope they can find homes for all those dogs! Poor babies! I hope they get all cleaned up and taken care of!!! :'(

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 05:41:32 pm »
They were split into two different shelters in IL and will be vaccinated, hw tested and altered. Then they will be put into recues. Before that can happen the owners have to be taken to court and allow the shelters to have custody of them which can take 1-2 weeks. The GPCA is going to set up an account just for those pyrs, so if you would like to help please contact them. I'll post more info when I get it.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 07:08:04 pm »
Stories like this make me sad.   :(

This is why I can't watch shows like animal cops anymore. I tried to watch it last night and it just made me cry  :'(
RIP former BPO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:06:27 pm »
The lady at the county shelter in Rock Island, IL I spoke to today said it was 50 Pyrs of which they are sheltering 22...She said the dogs were kept in the house & never let outside...from what she understood not even to potty...She said she was there the night they brought the dogs in & was amazed at how the carried themselves after all of the trauma of that evening....She firther stated they had a list 2 & 1/2 pages long of people wanting to adopt the dogs...I asked her to make sure to educate potential owners before homing the dogs & gave her some basic info...She said that Great Pyr rescue fo Chicago had already been there & left info. for them...I hope these dogs are able to make it after all they've been through.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:14:44 am »
All the dogs have been turned over to the state. Some of them may be ready for adoption this weekend. It said that the some of the pyrs are AKC regisitered. I wonder if they are going to find out who the breeders are just in case they will take the dogs back.

Here are some more articles.

http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/02/18/news/local/doc43f6bd96922fd232435573.txt

http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/02/16/news/local/doc43f437ddac47a805625815.txt

http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/02/22/news/local/doc43fc0708ec9bd954621223.txt

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:30:32 pm »
April, I didn't get a chance to call the shelter before work because they don't open until noon...I will do it shortly & get back to you later today or tonight.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 05:27:43 pm »
No offense to you ladies, but why are these "collectors" almost always women?  Aside from being insane, are they suffering from a type of empty nest syndrome or is it just a sick form of loneliness?  Just wondering...  ???
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 06:25:40 pm »
Are the dogs in no kill shelters?

Nina

Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:52:50 pm »
I'm not sure Nina. Chelle will probably know. The Chicago pyr rescue is helping them out also. Here's another article on what's going on with them. The house the pyrs were found in is going to be demolished. The conditions were really really nasty. I can't even imagine. I just hope they find wonderful homes and that the new owners are educated about the breed.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?prcss=display&id=277051

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 08:37:42 pm »
Are the dogs in no kill shelters?

Nina

I have been talking with the county shelter in Henry Co. I believe it is...It is a kill shelter but they said they had a list 2 & 1/2 pages long of people wanting to adopt the Pyrs...& a Pyr rescue out of Chicago IL has already been there & is working with them...It doesn't sound as if the dogs are in any danger of being euthed.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 11:32:24 pm »
Wonder if I could talk hubby into one of them.  Maybe if they weren't so far away.  I had a pyr when I was a kid and absolutely LOVE them!  To this day my fav dogs are the big hairy ones because of him. :)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead