Author Topic: Zoey had to go to the vet today  (Read 6845 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Zoey had to go to the vet today
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:00:30 pm »
I woke up this morning to find Zoey with an eye full of yellow goop. Apparently she got some dirt or something in it yesterday and spent the night scratching at it and got it infected  :(

I was nervous to take her to the vet because we had a really traumatic experience last time we went there (it was the most terrifying experience zoey has ever had, and even I was traumatized). I made sure that we saw a different doctor and before I brought her in I explained to him how important it was that he was compassionate and reassuring to her and how he had to examine her on the floor where she would be more comfortable. It was so sad because Zoey kept trying to go to the front door while we were in the waiting room, and then she totally flipped out when they made me take her in the same room as last time. She was so stressed out her eyes& gums went bloodshot and her heart was pounding within a second of getting into the room. Poor baby was so upset she wouldn’t even eat the treats I used to lure her (and I brought her favorites from home). The doctor we saw today was awesome! He was comforting to her and considerate of her fears. By the time we were finished with the exam she ad relaxed enough to lay down and get some treats and belly rubs. He also gave me a lot of great info about a whole bunch of things.  I felt so relieved to finally find a good doctor in our new town – until I found out he was just a substitute and doesn’t really work there. Man! Figures it would work out like that.

He gave me some antibiotics that I have to put in her eye 2 times a day for the next few days. I have a question though: I was expecting them to be liquid but it is an ointment. I just did the first dose and I don’t want to actually touch her eyelid, so how do I make sure the ointment gets into her eye and doesn’t just go on the fur around it? Anyone else have to do this before?

He also gave me a sedative that we are going to have to give zoey before we can get her nails cut because she has such extreme anxiety about the vet and especially about having her nails cut. And he gave me a prescription for valium that I had to fill at CVS for her (which seemed SO weird to me, filling a prescription for a dog at a human pharmacy). I made an appt to have the vet cut her nails on Friday and I have to give her a tranquilizer and a valium a few hours before. I hope they work so that she doesn’t freak out and can have a positive experience because they really need to be cut but that was the most traumatizing part before.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 10:01:39 pm by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Zoey had to go to the vet today
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:09:25 pm »
Oh, please give Zoey a big hug from us.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:00:38 pm »
If you get the antibiotic ointment (rather than drops), it helps to have the dog laying down so gravity will help pull the meds into the eye. We gave Star the eye meds while she was laying on her back/side. After she'd blink, I'd squeeze the meds near her eye. If it ended up on her fur/eyelashes, I would just hold her in that position. The gel will melt in a few minutes, and gets in the eye that way.

FYI, my kids have had pinkeye many time before, and have given it to me (one thing I wish they didn't share!). The drops sting like the dickens, the ointment doesn't hurt, so imagine how bad it would be if Zoey knew the drops hurt! And then, after Star had her eye infection, and my son got pinkeye, I gave him her meds and they worked like a charm (it was packaged for human use).

Good luck!

Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:31:32 pm »
Poor Zoey! Please give her big hugs from all of us here. We hope that she feels better soon!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 01:47:32 am »
Did you find out if that vet practices anywhere near you?  He sounds like a great guy.  Good luck with getting the ointment in her eyes.  I'm no help there.  Give Zoey big huge hugs from Dazy and me.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:14:58 am »
Zoey is feeling much better today :)

That antibiotic works fast - there was barely any goop this morning and her eye is almost back to white :)

Here is my problem though: I can't get the dye off of her fur. When they tested it yesterday to make sure there was no scratch they put in this dye stuff and a little bit dripped out of her eye onto her white fur. The doc said it would come off with warm water, but it is stll there  :-\ I have rubbed it with a warm damp towel half a dozen times and it doesn't even seem to be getting lighter. Does anyone know how to get it off?

I'm attaching 2 pics of zoey from this morning so you can see how she is feeling all better but has replaced her yellow goop with yellow dye  :o
RIP former BPO

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:28:20 am »
Oh poor Zoey. Glad to hear she is feeling better today.
I cant help with the dye problem but when I had to put liquid drops in Queenies eye for an infection she would run away as soon as she saw the bottle so I would have to hide it and bribe her with a treat and trick her into coming to me. They are to smart for their own good sometimes LOL
Good Luck
Carole

GR8DAME

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:08:42 am »
Put a little hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and rub that on the dye stain, if you can do it safely without getting any in her eye. If it doesn't take it out completely it will make it less noticible.
Glad she is better.
Stella

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 11:59:52 am »
What a sweetie she is! Those pictures are so adorable. I just want to hug her.
That dye will probably fade a little more with each time you try to clean it up. I'm glad her yellow goop is at least gone!
It really makes a world of difference when you find a vet who treats your animals the way you want them treated. I hope you can keep seeing that substitute vet somehow!

Good luck, Zoey! :)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 12:01:20 pm »
Awww poor Zoey. Hope she feels better! She's such a cutie.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Yaz

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 02:42:52 pm »
How is Zoey doing now?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 04:03:02 pm »
Poor puppy!  Kisses to you, Zoey

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 08:02:14 pm »
How is Zoey doing now?

She's good. Her eye is all better, which is great.

We had an appointment to cut her nails on Friday, but it didn't work out. We gave her the pills like they told us and she was SO sleepy until she got to the vet and then she was a little more mellow than last time but still clearly stressed. So they just gave her some cookies and sent her on her way since she wasn't sedated enough. We are going to try it at home, and if that doesn't work we will have to do a sedation shot next time  :o
RIP former BPO

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 03:32:30 am »
Poor Zoey. Apollo is the same way, and he has to get the sedation shot anytime anyone wants to mess with his feet. We can sit here at home and tug on them, tickle them and hold them, but man, you put anything other than your hand by them and he's spazzing. As he's a pound-puppy, we don't know what made him this way, but rather than stress him out about it, he just gets a shot and a nice nap.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 01:26:44 pm »
Day-z will not let me cut her nails either, so she goes to the vet.  Four strong people are needed to hold her down - but it gets done and she is not too stressed.

However, last week i asked the people at her doggy day care to take her to their vets - and she came back with the best nail cut she has ever had.  Cost less than her own vets too.

So, someone can do it, i just need to find out how