Author Topic: spinone?  (Read 10913 times)

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
spinone?
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:17:04 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have always had a dog and I don't think I can ever live without one.  My husband of 15 years is lukewarm about dogs.  We currently have an old Walker coonhound rescue (who is as sweet as can be) and we are considering getting a puppy for him.  My husband has decided that if we are going to get a second dog, he gets to pick the breed and he has decided on a spinone.  No, I don't know why.  My daughters and I don't care what kind of breed we get, but we do have a wish list of characteristic s.  We would like a dog who does not have a high energy level (once they reach the adult stage), does not have a high guarding instinct, is not at all aggresive, and is not an ankle-biter.  We also want to steer clear of dogs who are highly intelligent.  My mother recently acquired a black mouth cur and you can't turn your back on her for a second. (In other words, we are looking for big, slow, stupid and friendly).

The other preference is that we get a puppy as opposed to an adult dog.  My girls have been raised with elderly companions and now that they are 8 and 10, we feel the time is right to take on a puppy.

So, who has advice or opinions?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: spinone?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:34:12 pm »
I have only seen a spinone at the dog park...and he was wonderful!  The lady that loved him didn't exactly use those words to describe him though.  Big, yes.  Dumb...no. Friendly...abs olutely!

From what I saw, he was fantastic, and I'd love one...but my husband has drawn the line at two Newfs!! :D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:48:03 am »
To be honest a Spinone doesn't sound like the dog for you.  Bird dogs are VERY intelligent as a rule.  After suffering, I mean living with one for the past four years, trust me, I know what you mean about the back turning thing.  I dont' know about the energy level thing however.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:14:27 am »
The woman near my sister owns a Spinone pup and I have to say...a very nice calm pup...wasnt as traditional in temp as other hunting breeds would...they almost act like they look LOL

nice dog though
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:48:14 am »
A pet shop owner near me used to breed and show Spinoni. Lovely dogs - very sweet natured and gentle, but they are definitely energetic and woe betide you if they don't get enough exercise or mental stimulation. The guy was always telling me tales of his latest pup's destruction abilities and pig headed ways. However, he reckoned once they hit about 3 years old and you got through their adolescense, they were great dogs. He had about 8 so they can't have been too bad to live with!

Maybe they aren't the ideal choice unless you can get an older one. Also there's the coat to bear in mind - that beard and big hairy feet can carry a lot of dirt into the house.

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:48:19 am »
Such quick responses!  Thank you for the nice welcome and advice.  Please keep it coming.

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 02:51:30 pm »
Hi there,

So, we're still looking at spinonis.  Their personalities sound irresistable. 

Does anyone have any idea as to price?  I spoke to one woman and she mentioned $1,500, but said it could be more.  Yikes!  My dogs have always come from the pound or a friend.  I have never actually paid for a dog.  Is this typical? 

On a related note, how can I be sure she is a reputable breeder?  She really sounded nice on the phone, but I know that's not enough.  People say, "do your research."  How do I do that exactly?  She does not advertise on the web and I don't know anyone with a spinone.  She did say that I was welcome to come visit (which I plan to do if we move forward). 

Lastly, are their other large breeds that are mushes that might not cost so much?  I guess this is a silly question on this board.  I'm sure every one of you have at least one giant favorite.  My other current flirtation is w/otterhounds, but I expect they will cost just as much.

Cheers!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:52:50 pm »
Hi and welcome. 

Have you looked around online for rescue groups?  That way you would be able to get the breed you're looking for AND save a dog.

Love the way that works.
Sarah

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 04:45:55 pm »
Hi and welcome. 

Have you looked around online for rescue groups?  That way you would be able to get the breed you're looking for AND save a dog.

Love the way that works.

Hi sms,

So far, everything with me has been a rescue, way back to my first dog out of a trash can given to me by my grandfather when I was five.  That's why I am in sticker shock now.  We are looking for a puppy because my kids have been raised with seniors and I want them to have something that has many years of play.  It's not all altruistic, I miss playing, too.

P.S.  My first dog was foraging in the trash, not dumped, but sad all the same.  She was awesome (and newly pregnant, to our surprise).

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 05:51:50 pm »
[quote author=jaspers mom
So far, everything with me has been a rescue, way back to my first dog out of a trash can given to me by my grandfather when I was five.  That's why I am in sticker shock now.  We are looking for a puppy because my kids have been raised with seniors and I want them to have something that has many years of play.  It's not all altruistic, I miss playing, too.

P.S.  My first dog was foraging in the trash, not dumped, but sad all the same.  She was awesome (and newly pregnant, to our surprise).

I understand the puppy-thing.  I wasn't even sure I could handle a grown-up dog, and now that I've had Einstein for awhile, I'm getting itchy for a puppy, too.  His breed is SOOOOOOOOOOOO cute as puppies (as if any aren't, right?).  I have so much respect for whoever it was the raised him I would like to have the experience of training a puppy, too.  Einstein is so well behaved! 

One thing I know about spinones is that whenever a breed is used in a movie (I think it was the Neverending Story?) their value goes up .  .  .  and I believe the puppy-mills go nuts churning them out, too, which means you'd have to be very careful about which breeder you buy a puppy from.  And also why the prices are so high for a reputable breeder.

The prices I've seen for South Russian Ovcharka's (which is a very rare breed I'm finding out) is anywhere from $1500 to $2500.  On the other hand, because Einstein was in a foster home (and god knows where he was before he was turned in to the shelter), his medical bills have been high, so I guess it works out to be pretty close in cost no matter which way you go. 

Einstein has built my confidence and I guess that's why I would be very happy to have a puppy.  Plus, the older I get the better my mothering skills become! (JK) (My youngest moved out recently, and I'm finding that after looking forward to this day most of my adult life, now I crave having someone to lavish attention on -- not to mention the husband-thing got really old.)

Sarah

Offline Marty_J

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 06:09:45 pm »
Hi
I got a Spinone pup last October and I have no complaints about her at all.  She was fully house trained when I got her at 10 weeks, she does chew, luckily its only been old newspapers that I had for recycling so far!  She can be rowdy but settles on command.  She's very obedient and extremely affectionate. On the negative side don't get one if you're house proud, as Babs said those feet can certainly track in the dirt and as for the beard, you get to share everything they eat or drink!!
Honestly they are fantastic dogs

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 08:45:43 pm »
Marty,
Thanks for the advice.  Your Rosie is absolutely beautiful!  I like her other shots, too.  A regular model, that one-

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 06:50:49 pm »

On a related note, how can I be sure she is a reputable breeder?  She really sounded nice on the phone, but I know that's not enough.  People say, "do your research."  How do I do that exactly?  She does not advertise on the web and I don't know anyone with a spinone.  She did say that I was welcome to come visit (which I plan to do if we move forward). 

I'm back looking for breeder tips.  I have contacted two different administrators of the Spinoneus.org site, but have not received a response.  According to the site, Spinone Club of America is the American Kennel Club (AKC) Parent Club for the Spinone Italiano in the United States.  There are currently two breeders that I am interested in, but I still don't know how to get info.  Maybe I could call and ask to speak to past families who have purchased puppies from them?  Should I just assume they are reputable?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 08:35:13 am »
That's a great idea....call the previous litter's families.  They can give you an idea of the quality of the pup, and hopefully they have been to the kennel to see the conditions of their first home. 

I don't know about spinone testing for hips, elbows, etc, but you can check the OFA and all the results are posted if the parents have been tested AND if the breeder releases the results. That's usually a pretty good clue:  if the testing has been done for a couple of generations and the results are there for all to see.

Good luck and make sure you get those pictures ASAP!!