Author Topic: "How much does one cost, if you don't mind me asking..." VENTING  (Read 10295 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
"How much does one cost, if you don't mind me asking..." VENTING
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:57:12 am »
Ok, I haven't researched other breeds, so I am not sure what prices run, but all American Mastiffs are $1200, period.  It doesn't matter what breeder you choose.  My question is this...I have had people ask me at work, "how much do they cost, if you don't mind me asking?"  When I have told them they look at me like I have lost my mind!  One of the ladies just kept repeating..."you ORDERED a DOG??" over and over. <sigh>  I wish I had some good comeback when they ask the cost and then are flabbergasted when the hear the price.  IMO, unless you are interested in BUYING one, what does it matter the money they cost?  I don't want to sound rude mind you, so I wouldn't say that, I just wish I had a great comeback.  Any suggestions?   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: "How much does one cost, if you don't mind me asking..." VENTING
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:12:07 am »
ORDERING a DOG??? - No, I am on a waiting list to have a dog join our family.
How's that????
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:15:05 am »
Or you can just tell them that you do mind and change the subject.   That is about the going rate for a purebreed giant breed dog.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:27:01 am »
What a pain! It's really nobody's business how much you choose to spend on something, a purebred dog or anything else! You wouldn't go ask someone how much they spent on their house and then act shocked!!! You are not the rude one, sounds like those folks at your work are quite rude.
 :( Sorry you have to deal with that.

I had someone laugh at me for spending money on some healing classes one time, and it was very upsetting, so I know how you feel.

No one can decide how much something is worth to you except you! :)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 11:36:05 am »
Now granted he will cost more than it cost to have my son...giggling ...but it just boggles the mind that people I work with even CARE what we spend our money on!  Even if people think it is ridiculous they should keep their opinions to themselves. UGH!  Thank GOD there are "normal" people like all of you on BPO (notice normal is in quotes-hee hee) to comfort me in my annoyed state...
"That's the problem."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 11:42:04 am »
Now granted he will cost more than it cost to have my son...giggling ...but it just boggles the mind that people I work with even CARE what we spend our money on!  Even if people think it is ridiculous they should keep their opinions to themselves. UGH!  Thank GOD there are "normal" people like all of you on BPO (notice normal is in quotes-hee hee) to comfort me in my annoyed state...

Heeheehee... "BPO, a forum for Normal People." :D

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:45:10 am »
I agree, say Priceless!  And I also agree with you are having your pup join your loving family.  People are wacky and just ignore the wacky ones as best you can.  People have a stroke when they hear what we paid for our Newfies, let alone X 3. Only kid people (usually) & pet people understand you can't put a price on unconditional love that kids & pets provide.

Enjoy your new puppy soon and heck with the wacky people's opinions.

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 01:20:06 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 11:50:50 am »
When we got Nola, I too was amazed by the number of strangers who asked his cost.  My response was "He was a gift from my Uncle."  I had used part of my tax return to purchase Nola so he was, in a sense, a gift from Uncle Sam.  If the people used the phrase "if you don't mind me asking," I would say that I did mind.  People are ballsy/nutty/nosey/rude/etc. 

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 11:52:00 am »
Yet these same people will drop how much for a new car???  Vacation to the Bahamas?  The question really is rude and there's nothing wrong with saying, "I do mind telling how much we are paying for him."  I do like the "waiting list for an addition to the family" kind of response.  That is exactly what it is.  It is like adopting a new family member.  Same preparations, same commitment (life), same training as kids.  The thing is that the dog won't talk back when it turns into a teen ::)
Daphne

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 11:59:42 am »
When we got Nola, I too was amazed by the number of strangers who asked his cost.  My response was "He was a gift from my Uncle."  I had used part of my tax return to purchase Nola so he was, in a sense, a gift from Uncle Sam.  If the people used the phrase "if you don't mind me asking," I would say that I did mind.  People are ballsy/nutty/nosey/rude/etc. 

<GASP> That is a GREAT answer as we are using part of ours to get him too!  LOL!  God Bless Uncle Sam!
"That's the problem."

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 12:00:15 pm »
If you really want a snappy comeback next time someone asks "how much did your dog cost?" say (with a sudden nasally-voice) "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".  You could stick a "dahling" on the end of it, if you're really bold!

I spend my money on things my mother wouldn't dream of -- then again, she spends $700 for a set of sheets with some ridiculous thread count. 

Sarah

kristi

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 12:03:18 pm »
 >:( People are rude - plain & simple.

It's what YOU want, you can save & spend your money on whatever you choose - dog or otherwise. Women out there spend that much on purses, shoes, clothes, etc. Do people criticize them for shopping at high-end stores when they could save the money & buy something similar at Wal-mart?

What is the difference if you "ordered" a dog? People order houses, cars, boats, RV's, custom clothing, etc., to their exact specifications . They could buy used/pre-owned, save money, & settle for something that isn't exactly what they want - but they don't!

How about this... people order kids. Yes, if you really look at it, adoption is purchasing a child from someone else. The average adoption costs between $15,000-30,000!

Before anyone gets angry, I'm going to be starting the adoption process next year. I had a cancer scare 2 years ago, & I can't have anymore of my own. We want Gaby to have a sibling, & we can provide for a child that needs a home.

Martin & I want a caucasian boy under 2 - I've already been criticized for that. "Why don't you adopt from Asia or Africa?" Well, because we're adding them to our existing family. It's hard enough to raise someone else's child. I'm white, Martin's white, Gaby's white, all of the members of our families are white. We just think it would be easier on a child rather than growing up being the only visibly different person in the family. It's what WE want.

That usually isn't the end of the conversation.. . If they persist, that's when I get angry & say, "Well, because I'm not Angelina Jolie!"

People are rude - plain & simple. >:(
Ignore them & enjoy your new baby.
-k.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 12:11:29 pm »
OH Congratulation s!!! 

Martin & I want a caucasian boy under 2 - I've already been criticized for that. "Why don't you adopt from Asia or Africa?" Well, because we're adding them to our existing family. It's hard enough to raise someone else's child. I'm white, Martin's white, Gaby's white, all of the members of our families are white. We just think it would be easier on a child rather than growing up being the only visibly different person in the family. It's what WE want.

Not to mention, there are so many children in our OWN country that need families...Goo d luck to you!  ;D
"That's the problem."

cricket36580

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 12:30:35 pm »
I usually smile and in my sweetest voice say "No, of course I don't mind you asking." and never answer them.  Or if they're very annoying and they've already pissed me off, I'll add something like "If you don't mind me asking how much you made last year after taxes and what did you spend it on?".  Sometimes, if the people are very sincere and they are actually looking for or going to get a large dog, I actually will answer them.  But that's pretty rare.  The ones that drive me insane are the ones that want to know "How much does it take to feed those things?" in that REALLY annoying tone that goes all over you.  Usually I tell them not nearly as much as etiquette classes would for you...would you like for me to give you some recommendation s?

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 12:51:04 pm »
I'm glad you posted this vent because I have been looking for ballpark figures on dog costs for giant breeds. 

I loved some of the responses, but I would probably use them in my head silently.  I have put my foot in my mouth plenty of times and sometimes it takes me a couple of days before I realize what an idiot I must have sounded like.

My dog, on the other hand, has never put his foot in his mouth.  Oh, wait a minute . . .