Author Topic: "How much does one cost, if you don't mind me asking..." VENTING  (Read 10293 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: "How much does one cost, if you don't mind me asking..." VENTING
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 12:55:48 pm »
If you really want a snappy comeback next time someone asks "how much did your dog cost?" say (with a sudden nasally-voice) "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".  You could stick a "dahling" on the end of it, if you're really bold!

I spend my money on things my mother wouldn't dream of -- then again, she spends $700 for a set of sheets with some ridiculous thread count. 

I'm always a day late and a dollar short!  That would have been a perfect response...

Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 01:12:52 pm »
I'm always a day late and a dollar short!  That would have been a perfect response...

I wouldn't ever have thought it on the spur of the moment myself, but I'm prepared for future stupid people!
Sarah

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 01:15:37 pm »
Just do what I do, smile sweetly and ask "Why? Planning on making a contribution?"
Actually, I don't mind answering almost any question about my dogs as long as they are motivated by an actual interest and not sarcasm, one-upmanship, or stupidity. Any of the latter, and I have no problem asserting alpha _itch status.
Stella

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 01:15:45 pm »
Now depending on my mood, I would be asking "how much did your boob job(face lift etc) cost you?".  Most likely I'd be saying it in my head but I'm sure my horns would be showing still.  lol
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 01:28:41 pm »
Use my Dad's strategy the next time someone asks you how much your dog costs.  Just look them in the eye, smile and condescendingl y  say, "Enough". 

I don't know why people ask that type question, it's prying and quite rude.  "How much did you pay for your house?"  "How much did your dog cost?"  "How much do you make a year?"  Does it really matter?  Do you need to judge everything by it's financial worth?  IT'S NONE OF YOUR F-ING BUSINESS!!!  You nosey twit!  That's a good retort too... 

It's like the old addage goes, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 01:31:14 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 02:15:05 pm »
How about "Less than what it would cost you to have plastic surgery to fix that face (or @ss, or whatever part,) of yours!" :o

Weedsport, NY

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 02:18:28 pm »
I either say the pups were gifts from my husband, or, more routinely, just say that they are cheap by the pound, it's the upkeep that's the killer! 

I really don't think most people would want of these guys even if they were free, it's just idle curiosity.  There's no reason to throw out a dollar amount.  It's nobody's business!!! ;)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 03:17:25 pm »
The ones that drive me insane are the ones that want to know "How much does it take to feed those things?" in that REALLY annoying tone that goes all over you.

Yep - I hate that one too. Luckily telling them the truth shuts them up as the answer is less than it does for a Labrador.

As far as how much a puppy costs - you don't scream "HOW MUCH!" every time they buy a piece of jewellery or designer clothes, so why should they care what you are paying for a dog? Some people spend thousands on fake tan, age defying moisturisers or botox injections which I think are pointless, but it's their money and their business.

Offline graymeiste

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 04:10:39 pm »
When I bought Tinkerbell, folks asked me the "How much are you paying?" question plenty.  Worse, the fact that I was flying from Dallas to Baltimore to pick up a dog seemed to  just incite comments.

My response was then, and likely always will be:

"It's my money.  I work for it, and I'll spend it however I like."

Rather amazing how well that worked.

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 04:38:08 pm »
Jaspersmom,
I don't think people here mind talking about prices per se. What they mind is the judgmental people who ask so they can raise their voices and tell the whole room their opinion.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 12:16:26 am »
Thanks so much for all the input.  There are some GREAT ideas here.  All the laughing made me feel much better!
"That's the problem."

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 11:23:44 am »
This is a really funny post because, I live in a really small town and there are only about two maybe three Great Danes here so people ask me all the time how much I paid for Kayzer. I get mixed oppinions and I think it is funny not offensive really! The looks on their faces is priceless. I usually just say "I got a really good deal on him" he was only $1200.00. I just make it look like it was chump change, and kind of laugh to myself. or I just say "ALOT" and they usually get the hint. I also add that he is worth every penny!!! My dad was the funniest because he said he is going to start breeding Great Danes instead of cattle because he thinks there is more money in it! LOL
He is kidding!!! Funny comments are acceptable but rude ones are not but I can kind of tell before I answer what kind of response Im going to get!
Lots of good comebacks here though! LOL
Carole

Blair

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 11:28:52 am »
Yeah I got the "How much was he" comment with both Grey and Smudge [poor Zeus, he usually dont get much attention in public :'(] Ill have to say the ones that asked me always put "If you dont mind answering", so they have been pretty nice about it. I have to explain to them though, Grey was less cause of his coloring and that he is limited Reg [which I get more comments about that] And when I tell them about how much the harls and mantles go for, well its funny to see them pick up their chins off the floor LOL

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 11:58:58 am »
Mr. Grey was less?!?!  I think he is marked SO cool!  I would have picked him over "traditional" marked danes in a minute!  Your boys are all gorgeous!  < :-*belly scratch to poor left out Big Daddy Zeus!>
"That's the problem."

Blair

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 12:04:53 pm »
Yeah Grey is a handsome boy, hehehehe...but he was less cause his color isnt accepted by AKC, cant be shown and shouldnt be bred. Its funny casue I was suppose to get my Dane to show but I fell in love with Grey instead  ;D So I guess I did pick him over the traditional colored danes LOL