Author Topic: Opinions please..  (Read 10601 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Opinions please..
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 05:10:18 pm »
If I were you, I would tell people to go "you-know-what" themselves.  Or just ignore them.  Every time we take Drake out in public during the Summer, we have people come up to us and tell us our dog needs water.  I get SO ANNOYED!!!  So, in my opinion, people have no right to tell you how to feed your dog.  Honestly, it's better he's underweight than overweight.

I'll second that.  ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 05:58:44 pm »
Bubba looks amazing! When Hutch was Bubbas age he looked the same and I was worried about the wieght issue too, but soon enough when they aren't growing up so quickly they begin to fill out. I had everything said to me from "That can't be a Saint Bernard, I thought that they were smaller and thicker" to "he must be half Great Dane because they are thinner than Saint Bernards", the best part about all of these opinions is that they all came from people who I doubt have ever seen a Saint in real life before they met mine.

Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Smaug

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 08:19:36 pm »
I think Bubba looks great.  I wished I had looked that proportionate when I was a teenager, human or not!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 09:27:33 pm »
Bubba is pretty skinny for a saint, but that's ok because skinny is good for a saint's hips. I would try and get a little bit of weight on him, but I wouldn't worry about it too much

Have you guys ever managed to figure out what's causing the diahrea? What foods have you tried?
RIP former BPO

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 12:00:34 am »
I think Bubba looks just fine for his age! Im kind of speaking for Coonie who has Judge and he is also a smooth coat Saint. He didnt really start to fill out until just recently and he is going to be 2 on the 28th of March, so I think he just has some filling out to do. If my memory serves me right Im pretty sure he looked alot like that at 13 months, Actually he reminds me alot of the way Judge looks. Hes gorgeous! ;D
Carole

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 12:34:05 am »
I think y'all are stuck on how he looks rather then how he feels and sounds.
Is he solid with good muscle density?
Is his appitite good?
Does he have stamina?
Is he ch of his diet is grain and meat. getting GARLIC? great stuff!!! and brewers yeast?
Is he getting plenty of good freshh water. Water plays a great part in health?
How much of his diet is grain and meat. Avoid the meat byproducts.
He would likely gain more weight with good vigorouos exercise .
Anyway my opinion he looks good but out of proportion between body and head sixe.
Also loose stoolis usually from to much fat and non-water liquids.But true COD LIVER OIL is good for him.

If this seems ramblely it is from the drugsI took tonight. PAIN MEDS
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 08:06:48 am »
He looks just like Tyler whose been in the teenage stage since he was a few weeks old...I've never seen a more gangly awkward puppy in my life besides him.  He has always been on the narrow side though recently he has started adding weight and he's around 18 months now.  He's owned by a vet and she's never been concerned about his weight.  As long as your vet says he's okay and he's not having any other problems I wouldn't worry about him.  And it's always good to stay on the skinny side for his joints.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Lyn

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 10:06:31 am »
Ok let's see if I can answer some of your questions..

shangrila, The diarrhea stopped when I switched him to Performatrin Ultra. But I also de-wormed him 4-5 times when we switched kibble. So I'm not sure which stopped the loose stool. But his poop has been normal since. So that's not a problem now.

But I do know that constant diarrhea can cause problems with weight loss and effect weight gain. And since Bubba had diarrhea from 9 weeks up until 11 or so months old. I have no doubt that's why he's so thin now.

Mark Dozier,

Is he solid with good muscle density? His chest, neck and legs have good muscle tone. And he sure feels solid to me..

Is his appitite good? He's always had a ravenous appetite. He would eat and eat if I let him

Does he have stamina? I would say he does yes. During walks I'm always the one that's tired and wants to go home. lol

As for diet he's only getting his kibble right now. I used to add wet food, yogurt and veggies and meats. But I stopped giving him those when we were trying to solve the loose stool problem. Now that his stool is normal I'm hesitant to give him anything else other than a little nibble here and there.

Last time I brought him into the vet with concerns about his weight my vet said he looked fine. Actually he said the same thing that most of you have said.. 'Better light than heavy'.

Hubby still wants to try the Satin balls anyway. I'm the one that does all the feeding so I can monitor how many Bubba's getting. 5-10 pounds might make all the difference. Hubby agreed to take him into the vet for a weighin and speak to my vet about how his weight. We might have to wait until Saturday depending on how late hubby works on friday. I'll get the vet to check his muscle tone.. cause I really don't know what to look for. lol

Thanks everyone. You all have made me feel so much better. I'll take some new pics today since the one I posted is about 2 or so weeks old just to see if there is any difference. 

Lyn

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 03:25:35 pm »
Ok here's some new pics to critique taken today. lol I tried to get one pic of him in a similar pose to the other pic I posted. Looks like he has put a little weigh on in the past 2 weeks. It could just be me hoping. LOL 

So what do you all think?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 03:28:45 pm »
yeah!  It does look like he's put on some weight.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 03:29:47 pm »
I think he looks awesome! Esp. for his age:)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 04:40:59 pm »
I think he's a beautiful young dog.  He looks very similar to Angus, I think anyway, and he's about the same age.  They are short-haired, which is a different look than long-haired, which is what many people see and think of.  I think he looks great, and he will fill out.  Give him time. ;)
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Yaz

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 01:42:30 pm »
He is beautiful, Lynn - so handsome and regal looking. I think you are doing a great job with him and it shows.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 03:51:38 am »
I personally think he looks fine!  Maxwell was tall and lanky as a teenager and now he's a bohemuth. Bubba looks perfectly normal to me.  Max stopped growing in height and now he's spreading out but I'm trying to keep it under control.  I have him on Wholesolme Blend Senior Large Breed.  The pet nutricionist I spoke with recommended that he go on a senior diet as it is less calories and has more glucosamine and other good things in it.  Poor Maxwell, not even two and already a senior!!