Author Topic: I hate irresponsible owners  (Read 4284 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I hate irresponsible owners
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:33:04 pm »
I went to clinic where my mom works today to visit my sick cat...and Guinness was there again.  She was born with health issues...She only has one kidney.  She's a gorgeous Saint Bernard puppy though.  Her owner is an idiot with a long history of being a bad owner.  Well this time she came in she's lost over 11 lbs in a month ..... meaning she hasn't been fed.  She has serious nerve damage and can't hold her head straight or her tongue in her mouth.  Our vet thinks she was either in a car accident or beaten.... leaning more toward the beating because she's terrified of any movement near her.  Her owner is a drunk and has left her in a closed up car in 90 degree humid weather while he went into a bar to drink.  He was going to give her to another client at the clinic who also has a Saint but changed his mind at the last minute.  Grrr I just want to track him down and beat him....but it'd be pointless because he's always to drunk to feel anything.  Any ideas for getting her away from him?
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: I hate irresponsible owners
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:40:20 pm »
That sucks  :-\ The world is full or horrible people, and I will never understand why some of them get pets eventhough they couldn't give a damn about animals.

There are only two legal ways to get a dog away from someone:
1. Convince them to give it to you. If they are a complete bastard, they might be willing to sell it even if they arent willing to give it away.
2. Call the Humane Society. If they can find proof of abuse/neglect they can take the animal
RIP former BPO

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 03:01:47 pm »
there was a similar issure with a rottie that was a patient at my vets office. They finally told them that either they had her over or they would go to jail, so they gave her to the vet and after numerous treatments for various illnesses including severe heat stroke she passed.

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 03:09:54 pm »
Call the ASPCA/Humane Society while she is still under the care of the vet. Once she is back in the care of the idiot it is harder for them to prosecute. Take lots of pictures and document the previous incidents. Present them with proof and they will have to act.
I think vets should be given the same legal obligation as ERs and Human Doctors, report suspected animal abuse just as the human Drs must report suspected child abuse--or face criminal prosecution themselves.
Stella

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 04:14:35 pm »
That makes me feel sick, thinking about that poor puppy and what kind of life she must be living. I can't stop thinking about her. Can your mum not give the owner's details to the SPCA or somebody who can investigate? Is there nothing at all the vet can do?

Alternatively, get your mum to offer him a crate of beer in exchange for the pup.  ;)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 06:48:15 pm »
The vet is pissed over it too especially since she has Saints too.  They tried to get him to give her to the other client before and almost suceeded.  The weird part is that his previous Saint Seamus was one of the best cared for animals I've met.  Hopefully she'll manage to convince him to give her up this time....so keep your fingers crossed.  Up here the ASPCA tends to be a joke so she generally just tries to get the dog or away from the owner to rehome.  Maybe she can take the dog for past due bills or something.  His bill is over $600 and that's with the dicounts she's giving to make sure the dog gets taken care of.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 11:07:08 am »
People never cease to amaze me with how cruel, stupid and uneducated they are.  I live in a rural area so we don't have an ASPCA, or a humane society, and the cops are in charge of looking into animal abuse/neglect cases.  This has resulted in them just taking them out farther into the country and turning them loose or worse.  It's too bad but there seems to be nothing that I can do about it.  I had a neighbor who tied a puppy up outside to a tree with only a crate as shelter; a bucket for water which being a puppy he knocked over, and no food for several days on end.  The poor puppy was obviously too thin since I could see all of his ribs, backbone and pelvis from my window across the backyard.  After giving the puppy a bucket of food for several days, and refilling his water I couldn't take it anymore, this poor furkid was so happy to see me, get pet and scarf down his food!
  I work from 7pm-7am and am on call the 12hrs before I go in which is kind of handy.  One night at an obscene hour their puppy came up missing and relocated itself to a metro animal rescue league an hour away (which happens to be the closest one).  I know it wasn't legal but I couldn't stand to see him suffer anymore and with the *wonderful* law enforcement we have in my area it couldn't be left to them to handle.  Unfortunately 98% of the people in my area are farmers and don't see dogs as anything other than property tieing them out all day and all night not giving them the life they deserve. 
   So yes it was wrong but in the end the right thing to do.  I would rather do right by an animal and wrong by man than right by man and wrong by an animal.
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 10:48:02 pm »
Please just make sure you know the story first.  I had my son's best friend, Stanley (a black Dane) stolen out of our yard because we had a skin and bones dog aggressive rescue confined in a pen in the back of our yard during the day  (he went in the barn at night)  The rescue couldn't be in the house with Stanley, they tried to kill each other. All we were doing was getting the rescue's medical issues under control so he could move on to someone who could better work on his behavior problems. I was a vet tech, I was considered the best foster while we made him well enough to move on. Well, someone who worked in an office next to our property assumed that we were "abusing" this rescue and that Stanley would suffer the same fate- so she stole Stanley and rehomed him to someone she didn't know. We never found out what happened to him, the story only came to light later, when a co-worker of hers fed the rescue through the fence, "because he was starving" he bloated and died-- all from "kindness". 

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 10:23:18 am »
That is too bad but this puppy was outside all the time, and I learned from a police officer that I work with that this neighbor had been in jail before for illegal dog fights. 
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 11:20:25 am »
Honestly, I wasn't critcizing, I'm glad you saved the dog. I just wanted anyone who reads this and similar threads to do their homework-- like you did-- before taking drastic action.  If the lady who stole Stanley had just called Animal Control she would have found out that I was a former officer involved in rescue, and my son would have been able to grow up with his big friend and protector by his side.