Author Topic: Un-wanted breeding question ...?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Un-wanted breeding question ...?
« on: February 25, 2006, 01:20:59 am »
Hello everyone ! We might be taking in a 2 year old Bulldog for just a little while . He's intact , and I'm wondering how careful I need to be with him around my newfie girl , Allie ? She's 9 months old now . Is she big enough , or can a stubby guy like him still mount ? I don't need/want any Bullnewfs ... Bulloundlands .....? :D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Un-wanted breeding question ...?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:58:17 am »
Well, if Allie is willing, and in heat, he can most certainly mount, despite his stature.  One reassurance I can give you is that from what I've heard, many bulldogs have problems breeding naturally b/c of their shape and must be artificially inseminated.  But that doens't mean he won't try.   ;D

And if she's not in heat, he may or may not mount her.  It will depend on the dog as to whether he will want to dominate her (or get friendly) and will depend on Allie if she lets him.  Usually, for most dogs, it only takes being told once before they leave the other dog alone.  But some dogs just don't take the hint.  Hopefully he won't be like that.  Good luck.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 09:23:11 am »
One reassurance I can give you is that from what I've heard, many bulldogs have problems breeding naturally b/c of their shape and must be artificially inseminated.  But that doens't mean he won't try.   ;D

This has to do with two bulldogs fitting together.  I "know" (Read as Acknowledge her existence, but berate her shoddy dog ownership practices every chance I get) a woman from our dog park who's English Bulldog impregnated her Afghan.  THOSE WERE UGLY @SS PUPPIES!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

chaosndestruction

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 04:25:08 pm »
hahaha omg...bulldog/afghans...so really hairy short dogs with bad teeth?

I can't even imagine what those would look likeO.O

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 11:01:33 pm »
I've lived with intact dogs in the same house many times.  If you absolutely must do it during a heat cycle, go with two barriers at all times.  One dog in crate behind a closed door.  If you have kids in the house, make it 3 barriers.  Both dogs in crates in separate rooms with a closed door in between.  If possible, get one of them out of the house for the worst of it (depending on the dogs, it is about from day 10-14).  With our intact males, they would go from nuts to completely insane when "the change" takes place.  At 9 mo you don't know when she'll come in the first time.  Talk to your vet about possible options.  There are medicines to avoid heat cycles, or change when it happens but I don't know how safe they are or when you'd need to start (like if you could start the medicine after the heat cycle had already started). 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 11:02:36 pm by longshadowfarms »
Daphne