Author Topic: fumble's got a big bump :(  (Read 8749 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
fumble's got a big bump :(
« on: February 25, 2006, 06:35:41 pm »
oh no! fumble's got a big bump on the right side of his elbow.. it's like a lemon sized water bubble!  i emailed the breeders and they said that they think it's protective water fluid, because he's not phased by touching it or anything.. he must have bumped it or hit something.  i found it yesterday.. so i'm calling over first thing in the morning to make an appt. for the afternoon with the vet.  i've been a mess all weekend!  trying to figure out what's wrong with him!  i think after this weekend i'm definately looking into pet insurance.. between fumble's chronic ear infections and his first puppy visits i've spent a small fortune!
i'll keep ya'll updated on his visit tomorrow...
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: fumble's got a big bump :(
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:43:38 pm »
Get well soon Fumble, Bell & Hovis send slobbers.

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 06:50:12 pm »
Poor Fumble! Hope it's nothing serious. I know what it's like spending a fortune. They are so worth it though!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 07:20:35 pm »
It's probably a case of water on the elbow.  Tyler has them too.  I'll attach pics.  They don't bother him at all and I don't think there's anything your vet can do but it's worth it to get it checked.  They could probably drain it but it'll probably come right back. Laying on hard surfaces doesn't help, so try to get him to lay on carpets or a bed. Tyler's mom is a vet and she hasn't done anything to it but his was originally in one then the other did it too.  He's the one one the left in the second photo and you can see it in both pictures.  He doesn't have any problems from it. 
Good luck with it though.
Erin
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 07:23:40 pm »
Poor Fumble. I'm sure it's nothing too serious... or expensive.  ;D

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 07:44:37 pm »
Get well soon Fumble!

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 08:17:04 pm »
Hoping all is well soon, Fumble.

Webster
Karen

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 08:24:09 pm »
It's common for giant breeds to get calluses and blisters on their elbows from laying on hard surfaces, but I have never seen one that big before  :o

I hope it is ok!
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 08:42:50 pm »
i'm definately looking into pet insurance.

We went the pet insurance route for a while...but found that with all the things they don't cover, that we would have been money ahead if we had just put the insurance payments in a bank account!!   ::)   (insert low growl here!!!)

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 08:57:34 pm »
We went the pet insurance route for a while...but found that with all the things they don't cover, that we would have been money ahead if we had just put the insurance payments in a bank account!!   ::)   (insert low growl here!!!)

That's what we do.  We started an account with ING Direct (the ones that don't charge bank charges) and put money in there every month for Kate.  'Just in case'...

I hope Fumble is ok and it's nothing serious!  ;)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 09:29:26 pm »
thank you sooo much!! i feel soo much better after hearing what you all have had to say!! i was a nervous mess!!! i'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow!!  thanks again!!!
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 09:08:33 am »
hahaha  a stiff drink would be great!!  lol! 

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 05:24:56 pm »
Can we call him "Bumple" now?  J/K!!  Poor buddy, but it sounds like he'll be ok.  Hope he heals up quickly!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 05:25:57 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 06:43:39 pm »
Harley (our St. Bernard) used to get these on his elbow. We got him some DogLeggs at http://www.dogleggs.com/ and they went away quickly. They work amazingly well.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 07:40:13 pm »
i'm definately looking into pet insurance.

I worked out that if I'd insure my two shar-pei - IF I could have insured them as most insurance companies in England won't - I might as well have burnt the money. I spent around £500 on each dog through their lifetimes and that included two spayings, two lots of stitches for Tinkerbell getting into fights, a tooth scale & polish for Phoebe, one euthanasia and one cremation. My poor vet would have been homeless had he been relying on us for hi mortgage payments and ditto the insurance companies as I probably saved £3000 by not insuring them.

Flynn on the other hand - well, my mum insists on paying for his insurance otherwise I just wouldn't do it and just put the money aside in the dog's bank account.