Author Topic: My Weekend...  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
My Weekend...
« on: February 25, 2006, 08:00:55 pm »
well, i went to a show sat. and sun., and i had to leave the boys in the run while i was gone so they didn't destroy anything. i came home saturday, and both the dogs are out of the run. i suspected my step-dad let them out, then closed the gate so they couldn't get to their water (my step-dad is a idiot). but i asked him, and suprisingly, he did nothing...that means they dug out. >:( GREAT!!! So, i go to get the wheelburrow and fill the hole, but i discover i can't find my shovel! well, i found it under a bush, with the handle chewed off!!!! i must say i scolded the dogs when i found it, and they were very sorry. so, i get another shovel out of the shed and begin to fill the hole. i am bent over looking at the hole, and Sammie comes up behind me and jumps on my butt, knocking me over into the mud. so, i went and put them in their beds and go back to work. my idea was to dig a hole going along under the fence, lay cement blocks under, then fill it w/ mud/dirt. well, i definitly had a moment when i wondered if god actually MENT for me to be a girl, but then i realized i was missing Isaac AND Tyra, and the moment was over! Well, the idea was a dud, and Sunday i came home to dogs loose in the yard. BUT of course they had to dig separate holes, so mommy can have twice the fun of filling them in!!! sometimes it really scares me that these are advanced obedience dogs. Bailey has his CD and Sammie is working on his CDX. aren't i lucky?!?!?! (note sarcastic tone). LOL, why do we do this anyway? we put up with all the embarassment and other CRAP dogs give us, and in return, they pretty much sell us their soul for a couple cookies....ok, it's not sounding so bad! i really do love having dogs, but it's times like these when you just wanna smack 'em!!! i would never...

anyway, does anybody know how to train them not to do this? i am an advanced trainer (or so i've been called) but i really don't know what to do! i have never had to deal with this before! EVER!!! these guys really have me beat.

i feel really bad, because they were probably really bored, and had no one to entertain them. i probly should have sent them to my friends house, but her dog is just getting over KC, and Sammie has a eye infection...so that wasn't an option. Sammie is a newf/aussie OR BC cross, so he really has to have something to do all the time or he gets destructive. no wonder i am his 3rd home (and last). Bailey just follows his lil' brothers lead, cause he really looks up to him. (except he can't, cause he's taller...) i really need to find some way of entertaining them while i'm not home. on a VERY tight budget as well.... do y'all have any ideas on that subject?

All the people that know me but not my dogs would never believe i would own such impossible dogs! i am such a you-won't-get-away-with-anything kind of mommy. 

Soo...did anyone else have an "interesting" weekend???

Leah and the MONSTERS

P.S. this really sucks, cause i just got rid of the jumping the fence and the digging in the garbage!!!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: My Weekend...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 08:34:56 pm »
One way that I know to prevent digging is to bury chicken wire 2-3 inches below the surface. The chicken wire will act as a deterant to digging.

And as far as keeping them busy when you are not home: do they have toys in their runs? Have you tried stuffed kongs?
RIP former BPO

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 09:05:42 pm »
Kongs don't really last long enough, and Sammie will just carry around sticks, and ignore toys, same with Bailey. The chicken wire sounds like a good idea, do you think that they may be able to dig through it since they moved the blocks? i dunno....thx for the help! Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 09:20:12 pm »
If you are worried about them digging or in my case chewing through the chicken wire you can buy sheet metal and bury it the same as the chicken wire.  Then they can't dig through or chew through. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 11:27:27 pm »
if you have the type of concrete blocks with the holes you can always try driving rebar or some other type of strong pole through it and deeper than the wall it'll make it more solid and difficult for them to get around.  It'd work even better if you could stagger the blocks too. I've heard the chicken wire works well or if that doesn't work electrify the fence.  You could try leaving a radio on too it may help them relax a bit more. I can't really think of anything else that'd occupy them besides a kong or one of those balls that they have to play with to get the treats out of.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:29:03 pm »
You're a genius!!!! i never would have thought of that, if it is still a problem by like next week i will try it! can you get chicken wire at like home depot?

thx a ton!!! :)

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US