Author Topic: Thinking about adding a Newfie to our brood...  (Read 6796 times)

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Thinking about adding a Newfie to our brood...
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:47:11 pm »
Hi everyone! I have always wanted a newfie and we have recently found a breeder that we really like. We are currently owned by a St. Bernard (Harley - 5 yrs old), a English Mastiff (Ozzy 4 yrs old) and a GSD (Sheba - 14 yrs old). We also used to have a Great Pyrenese (Sampson), so we are familiar of all the shedding, drooling, big dog love  :D, etc. Just curious if there is anything else that any of you could tell me about Newfies that would be good to know before getting one.

Thanks,
Stacie

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about adding a Newfie to our brood...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 11:02:51 pm »
Make sure you look at the parents in person and that they are healthy and have cleared all the OFA tests, which you should with any big paw.  Be prepared for the teenage stage...they forget their name, any obedience, and will talk back.  The best way to get a newf to do anything is through their stomach.  They will play in any decent sized waterbowl so make sure you keep it on a surface you don't mind getting wet....Kali used to dig in her water bowl...now she blows bubbles.  I strongly suggest investing in a kiddie pool and a sprinkler.. best 10 bucks ever spent.  The trick is getting them out of the water.  The rest of their personality is like any other bigpaw they love to sleep in front of doors,and in stategic trip positions at night.  With them AC is a must have item.  I think that is about it, they are well worth the hassle and should be easy since you've had a Saint and a Pyr.  Can't wait to see puppy pictures.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 01:29:29 am »
Make sure you look at the parents in person and that they are healthy and have cleared all the OFA tests, which you should with any big paw.

Boy!  Is that the truth!  Make sure you have OFA clearances.... the more the better!  If at all in doubt, email or call the Newf Club of America (NCA) Health and Longevity Committee and they will alert you if there are any issues with the breeder.  Newfs can have lots of health issues and the more prepared you are to take this on, the happier you will be.  I LOVE my Newfs but have been heart-broken by poor breeding and the early loss (at three years old each) of my first two Newfies.  BYB and Puppy Mills are NOT an alternative with this breed.  Their health is just too iffy.  The NCA has breeders on their web site who are committed to following their rules on breeding which at least gives you a head start in their health. 

Good luck and please post LOTS of pictures! ;D ;D

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 02:04:56 am »
I was talking with a breeder this afternoon (hoping she might be able to help with finding Ebony a foster home) and I learned that there are seven different medical screenings or "check off's" that people should be aware of when purchasing a Newf.  They include OFA, heart, patella, kidney....and three others that I can't think of off the top of my head.  That was very interesting to me...I didn't realize Newfs had the potential for the variety of medical problems.

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:16:59 am »
You spoil the puppy for a few months,(with the wee bit of discipline/teaching  as needed of course) and he/she will spoil you for the rest of your life.  I cannot imagine not having a newfie in the house.
Karen

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 08:34:46 am »
Thank you very much for all of the responses. The breeder we found does all the health testing. That is why we have waited so long - to find the breeder that we are both happy with. We go look at the puppies in 3 weeks (they will be 4 weeks old). She tests potential owners with the Volhard Puppy Aptitude test at 7-8 weeks of age, so hopefully we will be a good match to one of her pups.

We too were victims of poor breeding with our Great Pyr (we lost him at 2 years old to an auto-immune disease), so we have definately learned our lesson.

Thanks agaon,
Stacie

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 02:38:26 pm »
Oh you are so lucky, says she with 3 Newfs :), I would love another puppy, just thinking about them makes me all broody ;D.

Please gets some photos when you go and see the litter, just so that the likes of me can coo over the little tiny fluff balls ;D

All I can say is once you have a Newf you never want anything else.... Although I would love a St. Bernard one day ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 02:45:13 pm »
Thank you very much for all of the responses. The breeder we found does all the health testing. That is why we have waited so long - to find the breeder that we are both happy with. We go look at the puppies in 3 weeks (they will be 4 weeks old). She tests potential owners with the Volhard Puppy Aptitude test at 7-8 weeks of age, so hopefully we will be a good match to one of her pups.

We too were victims of poor breeding with our Great Pyr (we lost him at 2 years old to an auto-immune disease), so we have definately learned our lesson.

Thanks agaon,
Stacie

Sounds like you really have found a good breeder!  If she's trying to fit personality with owners on top of good health clearances, that's awesome! 

My Pyr last died of auto-immune problems as well.  It is heart breaking.  Mine was a rescue so we didn't have the option to check his breeding.  He was such a great dog though that I am still happy we got him.  I don't wish I had not taken him just because of the pain of losing him.  He was worth any time we had.
Daphne

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 04:13:01 pm »
Newfies are fantastic dogs. I have an almost 15 week old Newfie pup Sadie. From what I can gather so far from my experience with her, they are very sensitive, family oriented, intelligent dogs that live to make you happy. Mine is a problem solver. She has figured out how to open her crate door and also recently discovered that things that are sprayed with Bitter Apple taste better once they've been dunked in the toilet or her water bowl. Smart (bad) girl:D

She lives to make me smile, she sulks when I scold her, is great with my kitties and every other animal/person/child she's come in to contact with so far. In short, she is the love of my life. If you like the breeder, ask lots of questions about the parents and someone told me to ask about the siblings of the parents as well (health wise) if the breeder has that info. Sadie's breeder was great about me asking questions and still is. I email her pretty much on a weekly basis!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 04:31:30 pm »
I heartily agree with everything said, but beware, they are contagious!!!
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline swells

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 05:09:33 pm »
Thanks everyone! I am getting very excited to go see the pups. They were 2 weeks old yesterday - they were born on Valentines Day. I will take lots of pics when I go see them.

What age do you start with water training? My husbands parents have a cabin on a lake in Northern Minnesota that we go to a lot in the summer. Do the dogs have to be intact in order to compete in the water trials? We just want a companion do so we will be neutering him. What age do you have Newfies neutered? We had our Saint and Mastiff done at around 6-8 months.

I will have many more questions once the time comes closer.

Stacie

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:16:30 pm »
Yay, a newfie puppy!  Congratulation s!  Nostaw is right--they are contagious!  We have two, a 14 month old (Sasha) and an almost 15 week old (Bella).  We don't compete in water trial but we wanted to be sure they knew how to swim (so they don't get into any trouble around pools or creeks).  We started both girls swimming around 12 weeks or so...they love swimming! ::)

We've been wondering about when to have them spayed.  We had Sasha's surgery when she was about 6 months old.  The new vet says Bella could be spayed this Friday (!) but that seems too young to me.  I'm curious what others say too.

Good luck!  Please do post photos when you visit the puppies!  Newfies are wonderful dogs. :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 06:03:13 pm »
Chester was one on the day before Valentine's day!!!  If you believe in astrology, it's a great sign for Newfies!!! ;D ;D ;D

We are debating when to neuter Chester (and no....as far as I know, the dog does not have to be intact to do water work but contact your local Newf club for their rules.  They will also be the ones to help you train your baby.  Our club here is very active in the summer and they have water events all the time).  Our breeder wants us to wait until he's 24 months, our vet wanted to do it at 6 months.

Get ready for your second Newf.  The problem is you just can't have one.  It's almost impossible!!  They are just so sweet!!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 08:02:55 pm »
Six to Seven months is generally the right time period for spaying and neutering.  It's generally better to get it done sooner in that time period so it's easier for moving them around when they're out so they're less likely to get injured.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 09:18:33 pm »
They can start in water as soon as you have them, but make sure you don't to force them into it, they need to be confident in it. And believe it or not, not all Newfs feel comfortable in water straight away.

One word of warning though, puppy fur isn't waterproof like an adults coat. So if pup goes into water it can get cold quite quickly, and it can also sink! So don't let it go too far away from you!

Good luck, I shall certainly look forward to seeing the photos.

Shell goes of chanting ... I must not have another Newf pup... I must not have another Newf pup :D ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte