Author Topic: Otis the Mastiff  (Read 50114 times)

kristi

Otis the Mastiff
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:38:59 am »
Hey everyone here he is...

The meeting at Petsmart went fine... he's a good dog. He actually made Sam look small - that never has happened before.
He's been through a basic obedience class, walked good on a leash, was nice to Gaby, & didn't really get excited when we went near the cats. He generally looks healthy, needs a little grooming (bath), and his weight looks fine for his size/age.
His dad is going to bring him over on Thursday so that I can have him with Sam & the cats & no Gaby.
Of course there had to be something negative... he marked everything he could in the store... does the snip fix that?
I'm ready for your advice & comments - bring 'em on!
-k.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Otis the Mastiff
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 12:50:07 am »
I just love how Otis looks!...& b.t.w., I think Otis is a perfect name for him! ;D ...I don't know about the marking...Sorr y!...Wish I could be of more help there...I just will keep my fingers crossed that it all works out!

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 10:23:28 am »
How great that the meeting went that well!  Typically, neutering is said to reduce the urge to mark territory, and remember that he was probably very nervous also, and that would make him mark more than he normally would.  I think it's a fabulous idea to have the neutering done before he would be joining your family permanently.  Hmmm, another thing about the marking is that you don't know how many other dogs he was smelling there and felt he had the need to mark against.  If it was just him and Sampson, I'm thinking things would probably be a bit different.

Good luck!

~~Lisa
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 10:53:14 am »
A combination of snip and remedial training could solve the marking issue for you, especially if it was an issue that was not addressed by the previous family. He simply may not be aware that you do not consider this desirable behavior.
Glad to hear that the meeting went well and that you are moving forward.
Stella

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 10:55:19 am »
I don't have much to add other than i really hope it works out for you guys and Otis - but i do know that i think that the power of craigslist and BPO is fantastic and thanks to everyone for helping spread the word on the plight of the big dogs.

If i can ever decide which country i will live in i will get Day-z a friend, but she seems to prefer small dogs for some reason, ah well....

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 11:42:17 am »
Oh, I hope that this works out for you and Otis.  It sounds like he's a sweetie.  We're sending good thoughts for everyone. :)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 11:59:06 am »
About the marking- some dogs mark in petsmart who wouldn't mark at home. That place has urine all over it! :P

But... you will not want to leave him unattended in your home until you are sure he is not going to mark your house. Keep a really close eye on him for a while and if a leg goes up, nip it in the bud!!!

I hope it all works out! Then you will have two really handsome dogs!!! :D

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 01:41:02 pm »
He is an awesome guy!  Love the name.  Good luck Kristi.
Sarah

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 02:20:02 pm »
Glad to hear the meeting went well.  Crossing my fingers that the next will also.  Be sure to keep us posted.

Cindy

kristi

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 06:45:19 pm »
Trying desperately to find a vet/clinic that will neuter Otis without breaking the bank! And that isn't backed up until May!
UGH! :P
Not sure where else to look...help!
If I can't get him neutered (soon) - he can't come into my house...
-k.

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 07:02:46 pm »
Kristi,
I'll be leaving for home in about 5 minutes. Call me in about 15, I may have something for you in Cicero, IL
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 07:34:48 pm »
I know a place in Michigan City! About an hour from Chicago. $25.

kristi

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 07:38:50 pm »
I know a place in Michigan City! About an hour from Chicago. $25.

GET OUT - $25?
For a BIG dog?
He's got to be 175# - at least...

GR8DAME

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 07:43:08 pm »
Most humane societies will do a nueter for $25.00, if your dog is under 70#. We ran into that alot when we were looking to get Merlin done at 130#. The cost of the anesthesia and after-care is prohibitive for larger dogs.
Stella

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:05 pm »
don't forget the crate training.  when i was growing up, we had a kennel-full of indoor/outdoor show dogs. the only time the boys marked was when we were in public. they all knew that urinating in the house [anyone's house, hotel room, or conference room in a hotel for a big show] for ANY reason was a huge no-no.
i would ask if there have been any problems at his home. if not, i would consider taking him home before the 'big snip' :) and crating him when he could not be supervised.

just my thoughts.  best of luck to you both!
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA