Author Topic: Otis the Mastiff  (Read 50379 times)

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Otis the Mastiff
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 08:34:31 am »
Julie or Kristi,
Have you heard any more about Otis? I just want to make sure he is okay. We have tried to contact him several times but no call backs. I just wanted to make sure the big guy didn't get dumped out of desperation.
Thanks,
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

kristi

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 08:40:16 am »
Kim-
I haven't heard ANYTHING - let's see what Julie says...
I'm getting a little nervous!
 :-[
-k.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2006, 08:51:49 am »
I hope she has heard from him. If he did bring him to a shelter I will probably get a call anyway but I hate for him to have to spend one minute there. I doubt that he was that drastic but just curious why we never heard back from him  ???
Kim
Kim

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2006, 09:05:10 am »
Which breeder did he come from?  I believe ALL the breeders have a "return policy" if there is a problem.  They DO NOT want AM's ending up in shelters.  With this boy unaltered, that could mean he ends up with someone who tries to breed him.  That wouldn't be good.  The breeders can place grown AM's.  There is a man on the AM Yahoo board that just got a 2 year old AM from an AM breeder.  The family that has the boy with allergies needs to contact their breeder...

modified to add:
I just got off the phone with the originator of the AM breed who is in OH and she said she would GLADLY take Sam back no matter what breeder they purchased him from.  She confirmed that ALL of the breeders DO have that agreement that they will take a dog back if there is a problem.   :)  Before he would go to a shelter, please contact a breeder if not the originator.  PM me if you'd like.
Jacquie
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:23:18 am by Softhug »
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2006, 09:10:54 am »
Otis where are you??  I have been following this thread since the beginning and SO hoping for a happy BPO ending.  He seems like such a doll.

Otis are you there???

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2006, 09:21:49 am »
maybe we should all email and call this guy?  stress that he needs to contact julie, kristi, or kim and let us know what's happened.  maybe it would sink in that there are a lot of us worried about otis and will do everything possible to be sure he gets into a great forever home.
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2006, 09:57:56 am »
Jacqie,
Otis is not an AM he is and English Mastiff. Not all breeders take their dogs back in fact most don't. Mind you I am talking from a rescue perspective and deal with dogs that are mostly purchased from back yard breeders or worse pet stores. Those breeders just care about the money and don't really care much what happens to the dog once they get paid. Otis was bought by a college kid who knew his Mom loved dogs and thought she wouldn't mind having Otis. He was wrong and the Mom said no so that is where Otis's current owner came into play. I commend him for trying to place Otis however I begged him to neuter him first and let him know that rescue was there to help him place the dog in an "approved" home. I hope someone hears from him soon.
Kim
Kim

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2006, 09:58:15 am »
If any of you talk to him (or Julie, Kristi or Kim) PLEASE tell him to contact his breeder...or ANY of the AM breeders for that matter.  Thanks! ;)
"That's the problem."

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2006, 10:03:09 am »
Just an FYI....with Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue the first thing we try to do is find out who the breeder of teh dog is. If the breeder is a member of MCOA (Mastiff Club of America) we try to contact them about the dog. More often then not the breeder isn't a member and the dog ends up in rescue and gets a wonderful loving forever home. We have quite a few surrenders that beg us not to contact the breeder because they don't want the dog "going back to that terrible place". They say they bought the dog to get it out of there and if they had the money they would have bought them all. THe thing is they should have run as fast as they could and not given that "breeder" a penny of thier money. Our emotions keep them in business :-(
Kim
Kim

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2006, 10:08:24 am »
Thank you so much for the update Julie. I can put my nerves to rest now  ;) Please keep us posted.
Kim
Kim

Offline tracw91

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2006, 10:10:36 am »
Hi,
I am Otis' "mommy". I have been reading all of your posts from the beginning of all of this. First, I would like to say that you all are wonderful people and it is so nice to hear that you all are willing to help us out with Otis. Otis is a wonderful dog, and we would never just dump him with anyone. We are hoping to not have to put him in the rescue, and hoping that Monday works out with Julie. (he even has an appointment Sunday for a bath so he looks perfect for his date with Julie) My husband has recently left her a message confirming the date. We want him to go to a loving home, but we don't know how much longer we can wait if this doesn't work out with Julie. We were just at the doctor's office again with our son, Jake, as they are talking about putting tubes in his ears because he constantly has fluid in them and his nose is constantly running from his allergy to Otis. So I just wanted to give you an update and please don't hesitate to ask me anything, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Thanks! Tracie

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2006, 10:16:46 am »
Shoot, I wasn't worried about a BPO'er breeding him. ;)  Especially one of the "regulars".  I just was afraid that Eric would let "Joe Blow-his cousin's neighbor's dogsitter's sister" have him.  I hope, hope, hope that you can get him as you can tell how much you love your Gweck!  But if there is a problem, let him know to get with his breeder.  There are only 12 Am Mastiff breeders and they LOVE their dogs...it's not a sad, stinky, dirty kennel situation but more of a living room with breeders family situation.  No shame if it doesn't work out and Eric has to let him go back....but luck o' the Irish to ya <in my best Lucky Charm guy voice> in being able to keep him with you forever!!   

WOW! Sorry I've been missing these posts!!! The owner called me the other day and said he hasn't talked to the rescue yet because he's waiting till we can take Otis for a couple days to see how he does with us, our place, Gweck, our cats etc. We have the last dog with us!!!! FInally and she is I'm sad to say already starting to drive us crazy and I brought her over yesterday and she'll be here till Sun (not too bad but at the rate she's going she might drive us crazy!).  But don't worrya bout Otis!!! If all goes well and we adopt him, I promise I will get him neutered and not breed him!! ;D Cheers!
"That's the problem."

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2006, 10:20:39 am »
I've been following this thread since the beginning too . The suspence is killing me ! ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

kristi

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2006, 10:37:57 am »
whew! :o
I really was getting worried there... Yay for Julie!

Thank you Tracie for being patient & kind...
We (at BPO) do have Otis's best interest at heart!
We understand how hard this for both of you & your family... Anything we can do to make it a smooth transition to a new forever home - just let us know!

Quote from BPO paharts: "We can't save them all, but we sure can try."

I wish there were more of "us" out there, then there would be less of "them."

-k.
ps. thanks also to all you BPO'ers who are following this thread & sending us all of your support - you rock!
go BPO!

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2006, 11:49:15 am »
Tracie,
I am so glad to hear from you  ;D My name is Kim and I talked to Eric about Otis before he met Kristi. I truly hope it works out with Julie however if it doesn't I just wanted to let you know that rescue is hear for your guys. It really is a wonderful thing. Otis would go to a foster home (most likely mine right now since I am available). He would be ther efor a minimum of two weeks so his foster family could really get to know him and then he woudl be matched with a family that best suits him. Please know that all potential adopters are thoroughly screened. THey must complete and application, their vet references and personal references are checked and if those all go alright they must have a home visit. On a home visit a volunteer goes to their house meets everyone that lives there and spends about 2 hours with the family looking at every inch of their house and yard. We do not adopt to just anyone by any means so I hope that makes you feel better.
I hope your little boy is feeling better soon and I hope Otis finds love with a new forever family. If you should have any questions please do not hesitate to email me at DePalma91@aol.com
Take Care,
Kim
Kim