Author Topic: Otis the Mastiff  (Read 50100 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Otis the Mastiff
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2006, 12:06:38 pm »
I am so glad to see that there are so many people looking out for Mr. Otis. ;D;D;D  I had assumed because the thread was in the American Mastiff area that he was an AM.  And ALL 12 AM breeders will take back their dogs which is why I was being so adamant about them getting in touch with their breeder (when I was assuming he was an AM).  I so hope it will work out for one of the BPO'ers to give Otis a forever home. :)
Jacquie

Jacqie,
Otis is not an AM he is and English Mastiff. Not all breeders take their dogs back in fact most don't. Mind you I am talking from a rescue perspective and deal with dogs that are mostly purchased from back yard breeders or worse pet stores. Those breeders just care about the money and don't really care much what happens to the dog once they get paid. Otis was bought by a college kid who knew his Mom loved dogs and thought she wouldn't mind having Otis. He was wrong and the Mom said no so that is where Otis's current owner came into play. I commend him for trying to place Otis however I begged him to neuter him first and let him know that rescue was there to help him place the dog in an "approved" home. I hope someone hears from him soon.
Kim
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

kristi

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2006, 02:31:53 pm »
I am so glad to see that there are so many people looking out for Mr. Otis. ;D;D;D  I had assumed because the thread was in the American Mastiff area that he was an AM.  And ALL 12 AM breeders will take back their dogs which is why I was being so adamant about them getting in touch with their breeder (when I was assuming he was an AM).  I so hope it will work out for one of the BPO'ers to give Otis a forever home. :)
Jacquie

Jacquie-
I can see your confusion! ???
I had originally posted to the main board, but the thread was moved later on to the AM board (not the OEM board where it should go).
Maybe we should have it moved to the proper place to eliminate any future confusion?
-k.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2006, 02:43:49 pm »
I dont know how to move an entire thread...can you do that?  You could always go to the original posting and modify the subject line to read "Otis the OE Mastiff".  I am just glad he is getting so much attention!   ;)
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

kristi

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2006, 03:16:06 pm »
I can't move the thread, but Bear can... ;)
I'll ask!
-k.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2006, 08:10:52 pm »
Getting Otis "snipped" will greatly reduce the need to pee on everything, but there will be a lot of training involved as well....i pretty much agree with the comments thus far. GOOD LUCK WITH OTIS!!!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2006, 11:57:20 pm »
I'm sure (or at least hoping) he'll calm down in a day or two once he figures out what is going on.  Everything is new and exciting for him right now, plus you're not his people yet.  Once he realizes you're in charge, hopefully he will listen much better.

Good luck.  ;)

kristi

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2006, 01:02:10 am »
Jules-
It's ok... breathe deeply... ohmmmm...
ZooCrew's right, it's gonna take a day or two for him to figure out what's going on.
This may be the first time he's ever been away from his home.
You've got my number, call if you need me!
-k.

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2006, 07:34:35 am »
Julie,
I am glad to hear Otis is safe and sound with you  :D
Be careful with leaving him home alone with just baby gates. I would use a crate if you are worried he could eat something or "someone" while you are gone. Make sure Otis knows you are the BOSS so he knows you are his alpha. Usually with fosters there is a two week "honeymoon" period where the dog is just awesome then after that every quirk the dog has comes out in flying colors. Best of luck to you and Otis :)
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2006, 07:51:35 am »
I'm so happy for Otis! I'm sure it will take some adjustment. Hang in there! It does get better!

Icerotti

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2006, 07:56:31 am »
AW, don't get frustrated. It took Puck and Farley a good week before Puck decide well I guess he is staying-might as well like him ;)
Now they really like each other. They play really well and even sleep together sometimes ;D

Hang in there ;) ;D

Nicole

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2006, 07:57:40 am »
Hey Julie!
 Wow. Sounds like a rough couple of days, eh? I would get him neutered. Even if you aren't going to keep him. Its just a good idea. I'd do it as soon as you can. I hope things work out for you guys! It sounds like it will be a bumpy adjustment period, but if you can stick it through, it may just be awesome. And if not, don't worry! Otis will find a great place. You won't have failed him or anything like that.

Offline wiss329

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2006, 08:31:38 am »
My husband and I temporarily fostered a dog before he made his way into rescue.  It was tough work, and we turned into absolute messes too.  Little sleep and a lot of stress pretty much summed it up. 

I think we were just so used to the house (our house of 3) running smoothly.  We were spoiled by things being easy with our dog, Max, and forgot how having a new dog in the house is a lot of work.  Even when we first got Max, it didn’t start that way.  The first two weeks with him were hard on all of us.  I remember making calls to dog trainers to see if I could get an appointment for the next day.

So, you’re allowed some breakdowns.  We certainly had our fair share. It’s hard work, but the rewards are amazing.  I wish you the best!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2006, 09:08:50 am »
Oh I hope your day gets better!!  As everyone else has said it will take a few days, weeks even to get everyone used to each other and for them to realize that this is it we all live here; Otis is very lucky that you are giving this a try as I am sure you are aware he has got to be thinking why am I  here and when do I get to go home?? 

Again, hopefully life will get easier by the minute!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2006, 09:42:43 am »
Well, at least it's never dull in a nut house!  I'm sure everyone will get in to a routine soon...maybe not soon enough, but soon! ;)  I do have an image of cats and dogs and you flying full speed through the house... ;D ;D ;D  Think situation comedy?

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2006, 12:38:49 pm »
I am VERY partial to brindles. I love your pix .... You should post more of the "brindle pack"!

Matthew and Goliath

Glad to hear the meeting went well.  Crossing my fingers that the next will also.  Be sure to keep us posted.

Cindy