Author Topic: 2 Qs for GD people  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
2 Qs for GD people
« on: February 28, 2006, 03:45:21 pm »
1.  How old is too old to have their ears done?

2.  Am I the only one who thinks blues should have natural ears?

I'm thinking of adopting a blue dane 14 months old with natural ears so it got me to thinking.  Normally I prefer cropped ears but on the blue boys it just seems too look better to have the natural.  Either way i was curious when they should have their ears done and when it's too late.  Thanks!

Kelly
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Qs for GD people
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:16:18 pm »
Yeah, 14 months is way too late.
Besides, why would you want to cut a perfectly good set of ears off a dog? Natural is beautiful. :-*

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:09:35 am »
The latest I've EVER heard of is 12 weeks.  And that's a crappy short crop  (Sorry I like the long crop on a Dane if it's going to be done at all), and even then there's a huge chance of a failed crop.  But I agree there are some colors that automatically pop into my head instantly as cropped or not.  :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:15:00 am »
The latest I've ever heard was 12 weeks also.  I'm glad I didn't have Boo's done because she can "pop" her ears forward and they half stick up and personally I think thats a better look on her than if I had had them done.  Even when I first got her, I would hold her ears up and look at her and she just didn't look right.

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:24:32 am »
We always had our dobermans done the same week we got them, around 9 weeks or so. Although I prefer the cropped look on dobermans, I prefer the natural look on my danes. Or maybe it is the endless rounds of wrestling, propping, taping, forming, repropping, retaping, reforming that I don't like. I have come to the conclusion that for me anyway, all of the work and struggle getting a standing crop is not worth it.
Stella

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 09:03:39 pm »
Blue ears are cute down!  Just look at my baby girl!  Her papa had a long crop (he was a blue and it looked alright).  Her mama had floppers though she was a harl.  They were both adorable...I don't know about the timeframe cause I wasn't going to go there with my first dane.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 11:58:36 pm »
The first vet I worked for did crops.  According to him, the preferable age was between 8-12 wks.  Any longer than that, and they have a less chance of standing.  He would not do them after 16 wks, and after 12 wks, he could not guarantee that they would stand.

Personally, I like the look of cropped ears.  I don't know, it looks more regal to me.  But b/c of the expense and the long healing time/standing process I opted not to have it done.  Plus I've seen the surgery done personally many times and know what goes into it, and it is not a pretty sight.  And that was with watching a very experienced vet who actually fixed botched crop jobs on many dogs.  Definitely not something to watch if you are squeamish in any way. (which I'm not..........I'm actually one of those weirdos that likes watching surgeries)

Edited to correct spelling errors.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:59:42 pm by ZooCrew »

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 08:34:45 am »
Oh, and the funniest part....when we go to the dog park, people always ask if she is a purebreed GD...lmao....j ust because her ears aren't done they cannot tell!!!!! hahahahahahaha hahha!

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 08:41:22 am »
I prefer the natural ears too.  When I worked in the vets office, we did quite a few dobbies but only a few danes.  They wouldn't do them after 12 wks either.  I had thought about getting Bella's done but decided I liked her better natural.  I'm glad now that I did.

Offline Karina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 07:36:13 am »
I think the natural look is perfect on blue danes.  Of course people might think you have an incredibly large weimmeraner!   :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 08:26:23 am »
my old vet said he won't do them after 12 weeks, and he told me that even then it wasn't guaranteed at that age(this is for our pits who have short crops at that).  i won't do it again, i got our two sibling brothers (one got stolen) done and they were in horrible pain even with medicine every few hours, i cried and cried b/c of their screaming.  very traumatic experience for ALL of us.  also, even though caine is very sweet, people are very scared of him, because he is a pit WITH cropped ears, and a lot of people say it is mostly because of the ears.  definitely won't do it again, ever! 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]